Windows 10: How can I prevent automatic updates?

Discus and support How can I prevent automatic updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm a trucker and have no regular hours. I might need the computer any time, day or night. Automatic updates are insufferable. Sometimes I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stonefly, Dec 12, 2016.

1. stonefly Win User

How can I prevent automatic updates?

I'm a trucker and have no regular hours. I might need the computer any time, day or night. Automatic updates are insufferable.

Sometimes I need something from the computer immediately and the automatic updates take over for a half hour at least. In all previous versions of windows it was easy to disable automatic updates.

Is there a way to disable automatic updates in Windows 10?

:)

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016

2. How can I prevent unannounced automatic Microsoft updates???

You have several options:

Option 1:

Set your Internet connection as metered:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows...

Option 2:

Use Active Hours and Restart options:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/managing-windo...

Option 3:

Use Show/Hide Updates tool to block the update:

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Option 4:

Press Windows key + R

Type: services.msc

Hit Enter

Scroll down to Windows Update

Select it then right click it

Click Properties

Under the General tab, choose Startup type to DIsabled

Click Stop

Click Apply then OK

Andre Da Costa, Dec 12, 2016
  3. How can I prevent unannounced automatic Microsoft updates???

How can I prevent unannounced automatic Microsoft updates???

Every time Microsoft 'hyjacks' my laptap for an automatic update, I can't connect to a network. And have to completely reboot.

And lose more than an hour worktime~~

I would like to prevent automatic updates.

How can I arrange that??

MarleenKrieger, Dec 12, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums!

The easiest way to stop Windows downloading and installing updates automatically is to set your internet connection as a Metered Connection. Windows will still check for updates automatically, but won't download them until you click a 'Download' button. It's easy to set a WiFi connection as metered.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

For Ethernet there's no option in Settings, but you can set it to Metered Connection in the registry.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

As a trucker on the move, how do you connect to the internet? A 3G/4G dongle? These should be 'metered connection' by default. Apparently a few dongles seem to come with drivers that make them appear to Windows as Ethernet connections, if so the second tutorial should help.

If you move from one WiFi hotspot to the next, each one has to be individually set as 'metered' as the default for WiFi is 'not metered'. That default could be changed in the registry, same way as for Ethernet.

5. SonicBlue Win User
    You must be vigilant about setting this to metered as soon as you connect to EVERY network!!

SonicBlue, Dec 12, 2016
  6. stonefly Win User
    Thanks for the reply and the welcome, Bree.

I'm using what I presume is now ancient technology. I have a Verizon USB 727 modem for my laptop. I want to keep it because I have unlimited data usage, which is no longer available. If I want to go modern I have to give up my unlimited plan.

I rarely use WiFi. The only time I use it is when I buy a new computer (too often for my liking) and need to download the Verizon Access Manager. Once that is downloaded I can use the USB 727.

I may have found a method that will work. I'll have to wait and see. I entered "services.msc" and disabled updates completely, which means that I won't get any updates at all until I go back in and change that.

I'd rather not have the updates than put up with the exasperation that comes with Windows kidnapping my computer for a half hour or more just when I need it most.

I'm glad I found this forum.

Thanks again.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  7. stonefly Win User
    Thanks, SonicBlue. The Verizon modem gets me on the internet almost everywhere in the USA. Some areas are weak and some strong, but it works almost everywhere. I can't depend on WiFi. Too many times I'm in a place where there is no WiFi.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  8. stonefly Win User

It doesn't look like I can set my Verizon connection as metered. Looks like that can only be done with WiFi.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  9. SonicBlue Win User
    What version of Windows are you on?

SonicBlue, Dec 12, 2016
  10. stonefly Win User
    Windows 10.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, Dec 12, 2016
  12. stonefly Win User
    stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  13. SonicBlue Win User

There are 3 versions of Windows 10 released. Each version is different so to help you need to figure out which you are on.
    10240 released on August 2015
    10586 released on November 2015
    14393 released on August 2016
    Open a command prompt window and if it does not have a number at the top type in "ver" and press enter.

SonicBlue, Dec 12, 2016
  14. stonefly Win User
    How do I open a command prompt window?

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  15. Bree New Member
    Right-click on Start, Command Prompt is in the list you'll see. Click on it.

Thema:

1. How can I prevent automatic updates? - Similar Threads - prevent automatic updates

2. Show can i prevent a software to open a url automatically ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Show can i prevent a software to open a url automatically ?: Hi. I want to prevent the software to open automatically the Browser with the specified url. Like i want to show first all the Browsers installed dialog ("How do you want to open this?") and if i want to not open i just press outside the dialog....
  3. Prevent Automatic Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Automatic Windows Updates: Hi there, I am the (un)lucky owner of several Windows computers and I suffer from the ongoing Windows plague of inconvenient updates. Today, my Windows 8 **** up. It was in the middle of updating - still indicating 0 % updated - while I was about to leave and hadn't time...
  4. How can I prevent Windows screwing with the gateway?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I prevent Windows screwing with the gateway?: As you can see below... Left: Networking is using 169.254.5.85/16 as primary, and 192.168.0.2/24 as seconday. Right: I've hard coded for 192.168.0.2 (which normally works). What happens? If there's any connection disturbance, Windows apparently -- my assumption -- resets...
  5. How can I prevent the update when it says "Your update is ready"?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I prevent the update when it says "Your update is ready"?: I had been using the following setting to prevent auto-updates. Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely Yesterday, when I was still using version 1709, I manually installed a critical update via Windows Update MiniTool. I had no idea what update it was. After a...
  6. How can I disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I disable automatic updates?: I would have thought Windows 10 was intelligent enough to abide by the "active hours" criteria in update settings. However, I cam into my business today at 2pm(active hours set for 8-5), all to find my system said it was preparing to install updates. Must have been a huge...
  7. Can you prevent automatic update from interfering with system restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can you prevent automatic update from interfering with system restore?: I have often seen that whenever there is an automatic Windows update, the restore points created are no longer available. I agree that going back to an earlier point in time negates the advantages of an update. I have seen applications to break after a, Windows automatic...
  8. How to prevent Windows installing video driver updates automatically?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to prevent Windows installing video driver updates automatically?: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and I manually install nVidia graphic driver updates as soon as they are available as I am an avid gamer. However, since February, every time I try to run nVidia's driver install program, it has abended. I end up having to go into safe mode,...
  9. How do I prevent automatic window resizing?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prevent automatic window resizing?: In Windows 7, I knew how to turn off the annoying (to me) feature that windows were automatically maximized when moved to the edge of the screen. This option no longer seems to be present in the 'ease of access' settings. Any idea if it can still be disabled? 23206
  10. Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates: Hi In Windows 10 build 10130, how do I prevent the automatic downloading of its updates? Thanks Bye 7451