Windows 10: How can I prevent automatic updates?

Discus and support How can I prevent automatic updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm a trucker and have no regular hours. I might need the computer any time, day or night. Automatic updates are insufferable. Sometimes I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stonefly, Dec 12, 2016.

1. stonefly Win User

How can I prevent automatic updates?

I'm a trucker and have no regular hours. I might need the computer any time, day or night. Automatic updates are insufferable.

Sometimes I need something from the computer immediately and the automatic updates take over for a half hour at least. In all previous versions of windows it was easy to disable automatic updates.

Is there a way to disable automatic updates in Windows 10?

:)

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016

2. How can I prevent unannounced automatic Microsoft updates???

You have several options:

Option 1:

Set your Internet connection as metered:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows...

Option 2:

Use Active Hours and Restart options:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/managing-windo...

Option 3:

Use Show/Hide Updates tool to block the update:

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Option 4:

Press Windows key + R

Type: services.msc

Hit Enter

Scroll down to Windows Update

Select it then right click it

Click Properties

Under the General tab, choose Startup type to DIsabled

Click Stop

Click Apply then OK

Andre Da Costa, Dec 12, 2016
  3. How can I prevent unannounced automatic Microsoft updates???

How can I prevent unannounced automatic Microsoft updates???

Every time Microsoft 'hyjacks' my laptap for an automatic update, I can't connect to a network. And have to completely reboot.

And lose more than an hour worktime~~

I would like to prevent automatic updates.

How can I arrange that??

MarleenKrieger, Dec 12, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums!

The easiest way to stop Windows downloading and installing updates automatically is to set your internet connection as a Metered Connection. Windows will still check for updates automatically, but won't download them until you click a 'Download' button. It's easy to set a WiFi connection as metered.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

For Ethernet there's no option in Settings, but you can set it to Metered Connection in the registry.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

As a trucker on the move, how do you connect to the internet? A 3G/4G dongle? These should be 'metered connection' by default. Apparently a few dongles seem to come with drivers that make them appear to Windows as Ethernet connections, if so the second tutorial should help.

If you move from one WiFi hotspot to the next, each one has to be individually set as 'metered' as the default for WiFi is 'not metered'. That default could be changed in the registry, same way as for Ethernet.

5. SonicBlue Win User
    You must be vigilant about setting this to metered as soon as you connect to EVERY network!!

SonicBlue, Dec 12, 2016
  6. stonefly Win User
    Thanks for the reply and the welcome, Bree.

I'm using what I presume is now ancient technology. I have a Verizon USB 727 modem for my laptop. I want to keep it because I have unlimited data usage, which is no longer available. If I want to go modern I have to give up my unlimited plan.

I rarely use WiFi. The only time I use it is when I buy a new computer (too often for my liking) and need to download the Verizon Access Manager. Once that is downloaded I can use the USB 727.

I may have found a method that will work. I'll have to wait and see. I entered "services.msc" and disabled updates completely, which means that I won't get any updates at all until I go back in and change that.

I'd rather not have the updates than put up with the exasperation that comes with Windows kidnapping my computer for a half hour or more just when I need it most.

I'm glad I found this forum.

Thanks again.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  7. stonefly Win User
    Thanks, SonicBlue. The Verizon modem gets me on the internet almost everywhere in the USA. Some areas are weak and some strong, but it works almost everywhere. I can't depend on WiFi. Too many times I'm in a place where there is no WiFi.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  8. stonefly Win User

It doesn't look like I can set my Verizon connection as metered. Looks like that can only be done with WiFi.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  9. SonicBlue Win User
    What version of Windows are you on?

SonicBlue, Dec 12, 2016
  10. stonefly Win User
    Windows 10.

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, Dec 12, 2016
  12. stonefly Win User
    stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  13. SonicBlue Win User

There are 3 versions of Windows 10 released. Each version is different so to help you need to figure out which you are on.
    10240 released on August 2015
    10586 released on November 2015
    14393 released on August 2016
    Open a command prompt window and if it does not have a number at the top type in "ver" and press enter.

SonicBlue, Dec 12, 2016
  14. stonefly Win User
    How do I open a command prompt window?

stonefly, Dec 12, 2016
  15. Bree New Member
    Right-click on Start, Command Prompt is in the list you'll see. Click on it.

Thema:

1. How can I prevent automatic updates? - Similar Threads - prevent automatic updates

2. How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?: Hello I recently joined the IT department as a technician, I have laptops HP ProBook 455 G7 that automatically restart during use and close all applications. I use Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.I've even disabled automatic restart on system error in settings but it still hasn't...
  3. How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find/prevent automatic computer restart?: Hello I recently joined the IT department as a technician, I have laptops HP ProBook 455 G7 that automatically restart during use and close all applications. I use Windows 11 Pro version 22H2.I've even disabled automatic restart on system error in settings but it still hasn't...
  4. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  5. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  6. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  7. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?: Hello to everybody, I have Realtek 8822CE wireless adapter installed in my Lenovo IdeaPad Laptop running Windows 10 Home, build 10.0.19042. I'm not able to connect to my home WiFi network with two latest versions of Realtek drivers 2024.0.8.129 of 04.11.2020 is the latest...
  8. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?: Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit...
  9. How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...: I'm planning to install the first version of Windows 10 on my PC because the later versions use more RAM even if there is no apps are open. Now don't lecture me on features that I am missing and security features because I know what I am doing. I just need to prevent Windows...
  10. how to prevent automatic windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to prevent automatic windows update: I wish to check what the windows update does and only install ones I want. There are too many that I do not need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-automatic-windows-update/55cf74a6-0ead-460c-8dc7-71a6e3ac95cb