Windows 10: How can I prevent automatic updates?

Discus and support How can I prevent automatic updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Can you spell out what you've finally done on your system exactly from all the tips you've received here to stop the updates? I have done the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stonefly, Dec 12, 2016.

1. How can I prevent automatic updates?

Matthew Wai, Jan 1, 2018
  2. ozkatz Win User

thanks for info.
    i have 2 question on option #2:
    1. before i create a new system line i have seen a "old"system line.
    i was removed it and create a new one with deny entry
    its ok ?
    2.when i was open permissions column: i have seen only Start, Stop.
    i have not seen: Start, Stop Delete, Change permissions, Take ownership
    so i put it on "start,stop"
    its ok ?
    note: These two questions happened to me in both services(Windows Update,Windows Modules Installer)

and on more question on option #1
    i was open the task scheduleder with PsExec tool and Before I changed the first two tasks you said(schedule scan, scheduled start), I saw that they were already on disabled.And the third task (WaaSMedic\PerformRemediation) is not even there.how is it possible ?(I ran the registry file through safe mode before and canceled the services you said)

ozkatz, Jan 1, 2018
  3. Option one: I curently don't use and don't recommend scheduled tasks blocking because they vary from system to system; I identified two more dangerous tasks (rempl\shell and windowsdefender\verification). It is almost impossible to block all that tasks that try to kill our systems by enabling windows update.

Option two (my current recommendation):

2.when i was open permissions column: i have seen only Start, Stop.
    - as written above, from menu View select Detailed

1. before i create a new system line i have seen a "old"system line.
    - it was ok; one permanent line "Allow All for System" and one "Deny Some for System" which can be easily changed to "Allow Some for System" by one click to temporarily allow updates. Remember that Deny takes precedence over Allow.

muchomurka, Jan 2, 2018
  4. How can I prevent automatic updates?

Set service owner, permissions (first line is Deny) & startup type exactly as shown:

How can I prevent automatic updates? [​IMG]

muchomurka, Jan 2, 2018
  5. ozkatz Win User
    thanks for it.
    i do it and i will give answer more few days about it.

one more thing.
    I deleted all scheduled tasks for:
    microsoft \ windows \ updateorchestrator and microsoft \ windows \ windowsupdate
    Will I have a problem with this?
    Also, do you know of any other update-related tasks?

ozkatz, Jan 3, 2018
  6. Will I have a problem with this?

I don't know. Make image of system disk, then do in-place upgrade, see if these task are re-created. Or perform clean install. Then you may block updates by service permissions, it is much easier.

muchomurka, Jan 4, 2018
  7. ozkatz Win User
    update:
    I created a new Windows 10 system and performed Method 2I added here photos of the changes I set in the setACL softwareI changed the services: wuauserv (Windows Update) and TrustedInstaller (Windows Modules Installer) to disabled too.But again, wuauserv has returned to be activated.

here you can see that windows update service back to work

and here the windows 10 assistant - back to work.

Still in troubleIdeas?

ozkatz, Jan 12, 2018
  8. How can I prevent automatic updates?

SetACL Studio
    - Windows Update permissions: remove the Start and Stop rights of Authenticated users.
    - check Windows Modules Installer permissions too.
    Services snap-in:
    - set startup of both mentioned services to Disabled, not to Manual.

In other words: set all EXACTLY as on four pictures in my post above.

muchomurka, Jan 14, 2018
  9. ozkatz Win User
    The only thing I did not do was to cancel the "start" from Authenticated.
    Services snap-in:windows update was disabled, the image I published, this after it was changed by the updates.
    added photos after the changes
    I'll let it run and update at few days

ozkatz, Jan 15, 2018
  10. ozkatz Win User
    Ok, so it was fast
    After one restart, and less than 10 minutes total
    Updates have returned *Think

ozkatz, Jan 15, 2018
  11. Never saw this dialog. It might be Windows 10 Update Assistant. If so, uninstall & block it first.

muchomurka, Jan 16, 2018
  12. ozkatz Win User
    at last try (what i was shared on my last comment) i was uninstalled it .
    move 2 services to disabled mode too.
    and fix setACL configuration too.

but steel get the windows update assistant.

block it what you mean "block it" ? how to block ?

ozkatz, Jan 16, 2018
  13. How can I prevent automatic updates?

Tested in virtual, "Windows 10 Update Assistant" auto-starts itself and creates dialog which denies access to desktop. Furthermore, it changes Startup value of Windows Update service from Disabled to Manual (but does not change service permissions). So uninstalling this program is necessary (and maybe blocking it using wushowhide tool - not in my case).

"at last try (what i was shared on my last comment) i was uninstalled it ."
    But its icon is visible in upper left corner... You can see it too if you run Task Manager.

Uninstall it and set Windows Update back to Disabled.

muchomurka, Jan 17, 2018
  14. ozkatz Win User
    "Windows 10 Update Assistant" really changes the Windows updates to enabled.
    In the previous test I uninstalled "Windows 10 Update Assistant"And of course I changed back the 2 services to disabled.

"But its icon is visible in upper left corner ..." You can see it too if you run Task Manager. "
    The picture was taken after "Windows 10 Update Assistant" backIt's a screenshot to show you.

However, the following were carried out:
    1. Uninstall "Windows 10 Update Assistant"
    2. I changed back the 2 services to disabled.
    3. The setACL settings have not changed since my initial change.

And then "Windows 10 Update Assistant" returned to work and changed the service to enabled.
    (This is the picture I took after the experiment, Just to show you)

Note: wushowhide does not help me because it is designed to hide updates and I am looking for a way to stop and remove them permanently without going back.

ozkatz, Jan 20, 2018
  15. "However, the following were carried out:
    1. Uninstall "Windows 10 Update Assistant""

How did you perform it? You have to go to Control Panel - Programs and Features to do it. Then run wushowhide immediately to block it eventually.

"Windows 10 Update Assistant" optional software is not the same component as Windows Update service.

In general, you have to clean your computer of malicious software "Windows 10 Update Assistant" first. When your computer will be clean of it, you can successfully block Windows Update service.

That is all from me. I gave sufficient info I think.

muchomurka, Jan 24, 2018
Thema:

How can I prevent automatic updates?

1. How can I prevent automatic updates? - Similar Threads - prevent automatic updates

2. How can I prevent notifications for Defender updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent notifications for Defender updates?: Through the policy editor, I have set "Configure Windows Updates" to "2 - Notify for download and auto install".While this works fine for Windows updates, I am getting notifications quite often for security updates for Microsoft Defender. These updates are automatically...
  3. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  4. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  5. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  6. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  7. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 10 Home?: Hello to everybody, I have Realtek 8822CE wireless adapter installed in my Lenovo IdeaPad Laptop running Windows 10 Home, build 10.0.19042. I'm not able to connect to my home WiFi network with two latest versions of Realtek drivers 2024.0.8.129 of 04.11.2020 is the latest...
  8. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?: Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit...
  9. How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...: I'm planning to install the first version of Windows 10 on my PC because the later versions use more RAM even if there is no apps are open. Now don't lecture me on features that I am missing and security features because I know what I am doing. I just need to prevent Windows...
  10. how to prevent automatic windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to prevent automatic windows update: I wish to check what the windows update does and only install ones I want. There are too many that I do not need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-automatic-windows-update/55cf74a6-0ead-460c-8dc7-71a6e3ac95cb