Windows 10: How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

Discus and support How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I use OneDrive for personal documents only, yet it is the default repository for Izotope Ozone and Nectar, Filmora, Native Instruments, EQ Apo... etc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by NaturalBlood, Feb 23, 2024.

1. How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

I use OneDrive for personal documents only, yet it is the default repository for Izotope Ozone and Nectar, Filmora, Native Instruments, EQ Apo... etc. I don't want this junk not junk in itself but junk in my personal documents.PC Settings: 'New documents will save to OneDrive' I cannot change this - it simply reverts to OneDrive on reopening PC Settings.It really is pathetic. Wherever I choose to put OneDrive all these files/folders follow it. Is there a registry fix or something to change the default location for new files?

:)

NaturalBlood, Feb 23, 2024

2. OneDrive keeps changing my default documents path

Hi Stiegl1

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with OneDrive. It can be frustrating when your settings are changed without your consent. Just a heads up that in regards to this kind of issue, our option is limited and we can only perform basic troubleshooting steps.

Here are some steps you can take to prevent OneDrive from changing your default documents path:

1. Unlink OneDrive and relink OneDrive: You can unlink OneDrive from your device to prevent it from storing your files in the cloud. This will not delete your files or data. Here’s how you can do it:
      • Select the OneDrive cloud in your notification area to show the OneDrive pop-up.

How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything? b9a1d4ab-83be-4e4c-bd27-816361ef758d.png
      • Go to the Account tab.
      • Select the OneDrive Help and Settings icon then select Settings

Close OneDrive and follow the steps:
      • Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
      • Enter the path %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\settings and select OK.
      • Delete the PreSignInSettingsConfig.json file.
      • Press the Windows key and type OneDrive.
      • Select the OneDrive app and sign in when prompted.
      Source: Unlink and re-link OneDrive - Microsoft Support
    2. To prevent OneDrive from syncing your personal files, you can try the following steps:
      • Right-click on the OneDrive icon in the system tray and select "Settings".
      • Go to the "Account" tab and click on "Choose folders".
      • Uncheck the folders that you do not want to sync to OneDrive, such as Documents, Downloads, and Pictures.
      • Click "OK" to save the changes.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,

John Lloyd

Microsoft Moderator

John Lloyd T., Feb 23, 2024
  3. removing onedrive from default file/folder location .

1. Click the OneDrive icon in your System Tray.
    2. Click the 'More' ellipsis at the bottom, then select 'Settings'
    3. Click the 'Auto Save' tab, then the 'Update Folders' button
    4. Turn off protection for all folders

This should restore the folders to their default location under your Profile folder. If not, use the 'Retore Default' button found on the
    Location tab of each folder's Properties dialog.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Feb 23, 2024
  4. How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 23, 2024
Thema:

How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

1. How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything? - Similar Threads - prevent OneDrive being

2. How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?: I use OneDrive for personal documents only, yet it is the default repository for Izotope Ozone and Nectar, Filmora, Native Instruments, EQ Apo... etc. I don't want this junk not junk in itself but junk in my personal documents.PC Settings: 'New documents will save to...
  3. How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent OneDrive from being the default location for everything?: I use OneDrive for personal documents only, yet it is the default repository for Izotope Ozone and Nectar, Filmora, Native Instruments, EQ Apo... etc. I don't want this junk not junk in itself but junk in my personal documents.PC Settings: 'New documents will save to...
  4. OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location

OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location: Over the past couple of months, when "save as" new versions of word and excel documents, the default folder is OneDrive not the existing folder where I opened the file. This creates version control issues and makes it harder for me to find files in the future. How can the...
  5. OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location: Over the past couple of months, when "save as" new versions of word and excel documents, the default folder is OneDrive not the existing folder where I opened the file. This creates version control issues and makes it harder for me to find files in the future. How can the...
  6. OneDrive as the Default "Save As" Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. how to change default save location from OneDrive to This PC

how to change default save location from OneDrive to This PC: I have followed instructions in previous queries which say to change the default location in settings, but the dropdowns don't open so I can't make this change. Do I need to be signed in to OneDrive to do this? Strange because the files still apparently save there. I'm on...
  8. How do I delete OneDrive without deleting everything and prevent it from automatically...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I delete OneDrive without deleting everything and prevent it from automatically...: I feel like I have to ask this every year. No matter how many times I unlink my PC from OneDrive, it doesn't unlink. It's almost like only the email address is unlinked, while Microsoft keeps backing up my files. Despite being unlinked, the OneDrive folder is still there,...
  9. How to prevent users from changing the OneDrive folder location

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent users from changing the OneDrive folder location: [ATTACH]If you want to prevent users from changing the OneDrive folder location on Windows […] This article How to prevent users from changing the OneDrive folder location first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. How to Make OneDrive Not the Default Save Location

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Make OneDrive Not the Default Save Location: Running MS Office 2019 (installed version) in Windows 10, 1909. Every time I go to save an Excel or Word document, the default location that pops up is OneDrive. You then have to navigate back to your Documents folder. Is there a way/setting to change that? I'd like the...