Windows 10: How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

Discus and support How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by iilola, Sep 16, 2020.

1. iilola Win User

How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit for nearly an hour with no way to stop it other than unplugging my PC. When it finished it had removed my settings for my desktop. It took me another hour today to fix my desktop settings. I don't EVER want Windows to make changes without my express permission. I don't know how to make this my choice.

:)

iilola, Sep 16, 2020

2. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Sep 16, 2020
  3. bigscale Win User
    windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Sep 16, 2020
  4. jbunch07 Win User

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating? :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating? - Similar Threads - prevent automatically updating

2. How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...: I'm planning to install the first version of Windows 10 on my PC because the later versions use more RAM even if there is no apps are open. Now don't lecture me on features that I am missing and security features because I know what I am doing. I just need to prevent Windows...
  3. How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates?: So Im tired of windows changing my settings while installing updates even tho they say that it's necessary (why would turning on fastboot necessary and why won't they change my settings back?) so I was thinking if there's way to perevent anything but security updates? Im...
  4. How can I prevent my graphics driver from updating?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How can I prevent my graphics driver from updating?: I have a Dell Inspiron 7373 and have an issue where the computer can't wake the display after it times out. I have spent months and many posts on here and bleeping computer and all resolutions suggested do not work - this is a known issue and I have found a hopeful...
  5. How can I prevent my graphics driver from updating?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I prevent my graphics driver from updating?: I have a Dell Inspiron 7373 and have an issue where the computer can't wake the display after it times out. I have spent months and many posts on here and bleeping computer and all resolutions suggested do not work - this is a known issue and I have found a hopeful...
  6. how to prevent automatic windows update

how to prevent automatic windows update: I wish to check what the windows update does and only install ones I want. There are too many that I do not need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-automatic-windows-update/55cf74a6-0ead-460c-8dc7-71a6e3ac95cb
  7. Prevent Automatic Windows Updates

Prevent Automatic Windows Updates: Hi there, I am the (un)lucky owner of several Windows computers and I suffer from the ongoing Windows plague of inconvenient updates. Today, my Windows 8 **** up. It was in the middle of updating - still indicating 0 % updated - while I was about to leave and hadn't time...
  8. How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?

How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?: I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates and restarting. If I am out of the office for a few days and out of town, I need my work computer to stay on so I can access it via Gotomypc. When Windows 10 automatically...
  9. How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to prevent Windows 10 from rebooting automatically?: Ever since I updated to Windows 10, I feel like all control of my computer now belongs to Microsoft rather than myself. The bottom line is that Windows 10 occasionally thinks restarting my computer is a good idea, and it doesn't matter if I have unsaved work open. It will...
  10. How can I prevent automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I prevent automatic updates?: I'm a trucker and have no regular hours. I might need the computer any time, day or night. Automatic updates are insufferable. Sometimes I need something from the computer immediately and the automatic updates take over for a half hour at least. In all previous versions of...