Windows 10: How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

Discus and support How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by iilola, Sep 16, 2020.

1. iilola Win User

How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit for nearly an hour with no way to stop it other than unplugging my PC. When it finished it had removed my settings for my desktop. It took me another hour today to fix my desktop settings. I don't EVER want Windows to make changes without my express permission. I don't know how to make this my choice.

:)

iilola, Sep 16, 2020

2. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Sep 16, 2020
  3. bigscale Win User
    windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Sep 16, 2020
  4. jbunch07 Win User

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating? :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating? - Similar Threads - prevent automatically updating

2. How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?: Hi all, the question header says it all. I am looking for a way to prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing a display driver. Let me give some background as to why. I have a laptop Lenovo ThinkPad L13 that has started automatically shutting off after about 2-3 minutes...
  3. How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent Windows 11 from automatically updating my display driver?: Hi all, the question header says it all. I am looking for a way to prevent Windows 11 from automatically installing a display driver. Let me give some background as to why. I have a laptop Lenovo ThinkPad L13 that has started automatically shutting off after about 2-3 minutes...
  4. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  5. How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?

How can I prevent automatic updating a specific driver in Windows 11?: amd error when windows update driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-automatic-updating-a-specific/5dec9048-21cb-43c1-b9ad-ea5fc3485f6b
  6. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  7. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  8. How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...: I'm planning to install the first version of Windows 10 on my PC because the later versions use more RAM even if there is no apps are open. Now don't lecture me on features that I am missing and security features because I know what I am doing. I just need to prevent Windows...
  9. how to prevent automatic windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to prevent automatic windows update: I wish to check what the windows update does and only install ones I want. There are too many that I do not need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-automatic-windows-update/55cf74a6-0ead-460c-8dc7-71a6e3ac95cb
  10. How can I prevent automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I prevent automatic updates?: I'm a trucker and have no regular hours. I might need the computer any time, day or night. Automatic updates are insufferable. Sometimes I need something from the computer immediately and the automatic updates take over for a half hour at least. In all previous versions of...