Windows 10: How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates?

Discus and support How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So Im tired of windows changing my settings while installing updates even tho they say that it's necessary (why would turning on fastboot necessary and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/olutukko, Jul 24, 2020.

1. How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates?

So Im tired of windows changing my settings while installing updates even tho they say that it's necessary (why would turning on fastboot necessary and why won't they change my settings back?) so I was thinking if there's way to perevent anything but security updates? Im running pro version

submitted by /u/olutukko
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/olutukko, Jul 24, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Is there anyway i can prevent tethering on win 7?

I did some digging and came across this:

Use Group Policy to prevent the installation of new network devices.

You'll find an option in Administrative Templates \ System \ Device Installation \ Device Installation Restrictions \ Prevent installation of devices using drivers that match these driver setup classes. From its description:

This policy setting allows you to specify a list of device setup class globally unique identifiers (GUIDs) for device drivers that Windows is prevented from installing. This policy setting takes precedence over any other policy setting that allows Windows to install a device.

If you enable this policy setting, Windows is prevented from installing or updating device drivers whose device setup class GUIDs appear in the list you create. If you enable this policy setting on a remote desktop server, the policy setting affects redirection of the specified devices from a remote desktop client to the remote desktop server.​
    Using policy settings here, you can either create a whitelist or a blacklist, either of individual devices or entire classes of devices (such as network adapters). These take effect when a device is removed and reinserted, so it will not affect the NIC built into the machine, provided you don't apply the setting to devices that are already installed.

You will need to reference the list of device setup classes to find the class for network adapters, which is {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}. Add this class to the blacklist, and soon afterward, nobody will be able to use USB network adapters.​
    Of course, since he has administrator rights on the machine, there's a chance that he might find your Group Policy setting and delete it. Here's another angle of attack:
    • Get/set the password for the local Administrator account.
    • If he tethers his phone after you've said "no", issue a remote shutdown command to his PC.
      shutdown /s /m \\boneheads_pc
    • Keep doing this until it sinks into his thick head that the house rules apply to him, too.
    This will set you up with a battle of wills. I prefer Kursah's solution of revoking his admin privileges.

Static~Charge, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Allan Mej Win User

How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates?

How can I prevent version 1709 from installing?????

Hi,

Thank you for your continues support on Windows Operating System. You can prevent the installation of an update in any version of Windows but we do not recommend it.
    Windows Update fixes reported bugs and tightens your PC's security against possible security vulnerabilities. You cannot install security updates without updating your OS. Yes, some updates may have issues, but we are always trying our best
    to fix those as soon as possible. Nothing is perfect in this world, but we can always strive to do our best.

In case that you still want to prevent an update from installing, kindly do this following steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run.
    • Type services.msc and press Enter to open
      Services
    • Scroll down to find Windows Update, right-click it, and click
      Stop.
    • Right-click Windows Search again and select Properties.
    • Change the Startup type to Disabled.
    • Save the changes and Restart your PC.

When you already feel like updating your PC, feel free toggle Windows Search Service on.

If you have more concerns or questions to ask, feel free to post.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates?

1. How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates? - Similar Threads - prevent installing anything

2. How can I prevent an update from ever installing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent an update from ever installing?: Hello, The update KB5030310 breaks my graphic drivers constantly. I have uninstalled this update already 3 times and it keeps getting installed.Even if I paused all updates for 5 weeks, I still got it installed again today, how can I "blacklist" it or pause it from...
  3. How can I prevent an update from ever installing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent an update from ever installing?: Hello, The update KB5030310 breaks my graphic drivers constantly. I have uninstalled this update already 3 times and it keeps getting installed.Even if I paused all updates for 5 weeks, I still got it installed again today, how can I "blacklist" it or pause it from...
  4. can I prevent certain parts of the update from installing?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can I prevent certain parts of the update from installing?: Every Time I update my pc my video card stops working. I have researched this and found out that I was sold a second hand card that had been changed to run faster or some such. I am not the most techy soul Anyway, I am going to be forced to do my Window updates and wondered...
  5. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?: Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit...
  6. How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I prevent Windows Update from automatically installing feature updates but still...: I'm planning to install the first version of Windows 10 on my PC because the later versions use more RAM even if there is no apps are open. Now don't lecture me on features that I am missing and security features because I know what I am doing. I just need to prevent Windows...
  7. How to prevent Windows from updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to prevent Windows from updating: Hi, every time I notice my laptop behaving in funny ways, for example, it become very slow, all the shortcuts in my Start Menu went missing, etc. the first thing I will do is click Settings > Check for Updates. Then the windows will start to download some patches and updates....
  8. How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update?: I'm running Win10 Home ver 1607. Windows Update has downloaded ver 1709 (due to an unmetered connection) and Windows Update now wants me to update. However I don't want to update and want to remove the downloaded data from my PC. How can I prevent Windows Update from...
  9. How to Prevent from re-install updates

How to Prevent from re-install updates: Hi, I want to uninstall last AU Update (ver. 105) because it takes too long restarting Windows (from 46s to over 1min. 6s), but I believe Windows will at once re-install the Update. How to prevent this? Thank you. 63091
  10. How can I prevent automatic updates?

How can I prevent automatic updates?: I'm a trucker and have no regular hours. I might need the computer any time, day or night. Automatic updates are insufferable. Sometimes I need something from the computer immediately and the automatic updates take over for a half hour at least. In all previous versions of...