Windows 10: How can I prevent Windows from rearranging screens (3 monitors)

Discus and support How can I prevent Windows from rearranging screens (3 monitors) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Introduction: I have triple monitor setup (DVI, Display Port, HDMI) I cannot really change this setup unless I change my graphics card since it has 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by appplejack007, Jun 5, 2021.

1. How can I prevent Windows from rearranging screens (3 monitors)

Introduction: I have triple monitor setup (DVI, Display Port, HDMI) I cannot really change this setup unless I change my graphics card since it has 1 port for each + 1 additional HDMI port. I'm quite good with computer as I used to work in tech support but I'm stumped by this problem. I've tried various methods to fix this but I've come to a dead end. My spec: Windows 10 Pro: Version 21H1 (Most recent Windows Update) GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (latest driver downloaded & installed from Nvidia.com) CPU: Intel 4790K 3 Monitors: all ASUS monitors with native resolution at 1920X1080. Problems: (I put my Windows never to go to sleep but I set my monitors to go to sleep after 30mins) 1.If my monitors go to sleep/If I put my windows in lock mode (Windows + L) upon waking up all the applications in the center monitor go to the left monitor. I have to manually drag each application and it's a time-waster. 2.Sometimes upon waking up, Windows rearrange all the desktop icons on its own. Another time waster to rearrange them to my setup. --> The strange thing is that it only happens occasionally and I cannot pinpoint what exactly causes this to happen. What I've tried: (I update my Windows 10 every few weeks) 1.Uninstall Nvidia GPU driver with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller from Guru3D) & reinstall the latest GPU driver from Nvidia official website. 2.Set all the monitors to their native resolution (1920X1080) and set the main display to be the center monitor. 3.Set scaling mode to "Full-screen" under (NVDIA Control panel -> Display -> Adjust desktop size and position. This was set at "Aspect Ratio" and if I remember correctly, this use to rearrange desktop icons almost every time upon waking up. Thanks

:)

appplejack007, Jun 5, 2021
  2. Pbshiver Win User

WINDOWS 10 Desktop icons rearrange when monitor turns off/on (ONE MONITOR)

I have a problem where my icons keep rearranging to the left side of the screen every time I turn my monitor off/on again. I was wondering if anybody had an idea of what to do as other answers I found were for icons rearranging when the computer turns on/off
    which ISN'T the problem, or when someone had 2 monitors. First, a little information on my configurations and computer.

• I DO NOT have auto arrange on
    • I have an Acer monitor connected through DVI. I use the power button on the monitor to turn it off.
    • I have Windows 10 Home Edition with an AMD Radeon R9 380 graphics card
    • Keep in mind that this problem happens with ONE MONITOR. I don't need solutions for if I had 2
    • I do not nor have ever had ESET, so solutions for that won't work
    • I would not like third party programs please
    • Remember, this only happens when I turn my monitor on/off

Pbshiver, Jun 5, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft fixes unexpected app rearrangement from sleep in Windows 10

Source: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/direc...rearrangement/

Brink, Jun 5, 2021
  4. John Sarc Win User

How can I prevent Windows from rearranging screens (3 monitors)

Assign monitor Numbers

Hi,

If you're pertaining to making Acer screen as the monitor 1 and the other is 2, you can just have them interchanged by going following the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop screen > Display settings.
    • Under "Select and rearrange displays", just drag the monitor basing on your choice of number; then, click on "Apply" button after.

If the above given information is not what you're pertaining to, let us know so we would know the next action we can give you.

Update us after doing the steps.

John Sarc, Jun 5, 2021
Thema:

How can I prevent Windows from rearranging screens (3 monitors)

1. How can I prevent Windows from rearranging screens (3 monitors) - Similar Threads - prevent rearranging screens

2. How Can I Prevent Windows 10 From Detecting a Monitor's Status. It keeps moving apps to...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How Can I Prevent Windows 10 From Detecting a Monitor's Status. It keeps moving apps to...: I have multiple monitors. Sometimes I do not want to run all the monitors. Generally 100% of the time my monitor which is set as my PRIMARY DISPLAY is on. But the 2nd, and 3rd monitors may either be turned off, or selected to a different input from another computer. What I am...
  3. How Can I Prevent Windows 10 From Detecting a Monitor's Status. It keeps moving apps to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Can I Prevent Windows 10 From Detecting a Monitor's Status. It keeps moving apps to...: I have multiple monitors. Sometimes I do not want to run all the monitors. Generally 100% of the time my monitor which is set as my PRIMARY DISPLAY is on. But the 2nd, and 3rd monitors may either be turned off, or selected to a different input from another computer. What I am...
  4. How can I rearrange taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I rearrange taskbar icons?: Hi!I would like to rearrange the icons on my taskbar, but they are 'stuck' in an order. I tried looking this up, but I could only find suggestions that involve third-party software, which isn't something I would prefer for my work laptop. I can rearrange icons of different...
  5. How can I rearrange taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I rearrange taskbar icons?: Hi!I would like to rearrange the icons on my taskbar, but they are 'stuck' in an order. I tried looking this up, but I could only find suggestions that involve third-party software, which isn't something I would prefer for my work laptop. I can rearrange icons of different...
  6. How can I rearrange taskbar icons?

7. How can I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons every time I change monitor...

How can I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons every time I change monitor...: I run Win10 20H2. I have two monitors that are not the same. One is 1920x1080 and the main display the other is 1680x1050. I only put shortcut icons on the main 1920x1080 monitor. I need to organize my desktop icons by task. Here is what I see happen: I change the main...
  8. Can I prevent all my screens from flashing when a new monitor is turned on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I prevent all my screens from flashing when a new monitor is turned on?: When I turn on a TV in another room that is connected via HDMI, it causes all my monitors to flash. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I use an NVIDIA card. submitted by /u/zWeApOnz [link] [comments]...
  9. How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I prevent Windows from automatically updating?: Yesterday a window popped up giving me only two choices, now or in one hour. There was no option to stop it altogether. First of all, I had no proof that it wasn't malware. And while I'd stepped away from my desk, it automatically started the upgrade which forced me to sit...
  10. Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor: Windows 10 laptop. I connect it to an external monitor and use hdmi cable. My external monitor is my main monitor. I use the laptop monitor as the secondary monitor. I extend the display. My desktop icons are always on my external monitor desktop. I had moved the hdmi...