Windows 10: How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode

Discus and support How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been struggling a little bit while trying to switch from legacy to UEFI boot mode and needed help about it. I've tried mbr2gpt but I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dankcoder, Jun 11, 2020.

1. dankcoder Win User

How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode

I have been struggling a little bit while trying to switch from legacy to UEFI boot mode and needed help about it.

I've tried mbr2gpt but I got errors which were related to disk layoutpossibly because I have more than 3 primary partitions

How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode 17a0d79d-ab49-42b3-b04f-4aadea9028f4?upload=true.png

I also had dual boot setup beforeUbuntu and Windows10 on this system which I removed later, the EFI volume H is marked as active from the time I had dual boot

Here is my current partition layout:

How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode 0685c6ec-bae9-41cf-8206-25e3ed30a085?upload=true.png

and the partitions mentioned in diskpartif required

How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode cfce9a3f-0f19-45cd-8d89-3d8ab4b0c33b?upload=true.png

Volumes:
    How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode 14e1e8dd-792e-44fd-9b02-f46ea74fb243?upload=true.png

System Specifications:

How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode bc3044fe-9d0f-4364-a95d-cd608159b0b8?upload=true.png

Sorry in advance if im missing some details, I'm new to the forums

:)

dankcoder, Jun 11, 2020
  2. gupsterg Win User

UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

Switching to UEFI bios on GPU does not enable UEFI mode if motherboard is set CSM = On. Setting CSM = Off in my experience causes Windows 7 issues, even if installed as UEFI mode with GPT partition on storage device.

gupsterg, Jun 11, 2020
  3. gupsterg Win User
    UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

Yep, UEFI mode with Win 10 loading I get the Asus logo.

IIRC there maybe an option within motherboard UEFI to disable the Asus logo but not looked into it. On another forum I have read that what logo you get at Win 10 loading is the easiest way to know what bios mode OS is in.

If system is booting in legacy mode - you get Windows Logo.
    If system is booting in UEFI mode - you get OEM logo.

Above also applies to Win 8 but not Win 7.

gupsterg, Jun 11, 2020
  4. Nobody99 Win User

UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

I also recommend legacy mode. UEFI has to tight integration with the OS which is exactly the problem. There was a case where UEFI installed bloatware on fresh Windows installations automatically. It shouldn't be supposed to be able to do that unless the firmware was open-source.

Nobody99, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode - Similar Threads - properly switch Legacy

2. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  3. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  4. Switched from legacy to UEFI, 3 partitions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switched from legacy to UEFI, 3 partitions?: I recently switched from legacy to UEFI using the mbr tool, and now under disk management I'm seeing three disks on my C drive. From my understanding, the system reserved partition is only used in legacy boot options. One of my concerns is the EFI system appears to be empty....
  5. Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot

Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot: I have an Acer Aspire E5-575G and was using the new PC Health Check application by Microsoft which has the new option to check if my computer is compatible for Windows 11. It's not, and it mentions the problem is that Secure Boot is not enabled.When I try to switch in BIOS...
  6. switch Legacy to UEFI

switch Legacy to UEFI: have Dell Inspiron 660, A12 BIOS 3/20/2018 currently have Legacy with Secure Boot disabled If I change to UEFI with Secure Boot enabled will W10 20H2 start up correctly? thanks (saw the W11 stream today) 181580
  7. Switching from Legacy to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from Legacy to UEFI: I have been thinking of converting from Legacy to UEFI (Ryzen 2600 - AsRock B450 Pro4) My questions are: Is it as easy and as safe as it looks in those youtube videos? Like literally just typing mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS in cmd prompt with admin privileges, then...
  8. Legacy and UEFI switching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Legacy and UEFI switching: So, I have created a Windows To Go USB and it runs well but it’s UEFI, which is what I need to run it on my Mac. However, the other device that I need to use it on is on legacy, I believe it can switch to UEFI but it also already has data on. So if I switch it to UEFI , use...
  9. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?: Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external...
  10. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?: Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external...