Windows 10: how can I protect files being placed on a usb drive from being copied but still allow files...

Discus and support how can I protect files being placed on a usb drive from being copied but still allow files... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to protect files placed on a usb flash drive from being copied but still allow the files to be accessed and used by anyone. Can anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BaldGADawg, Mar 19, 2019.

1. how can I protect files being placed on a usb drive from being copied but still allow files...

I am trying to protect files placed on a usb flash drive from being copied but still allow the files to be accessed and used by anyone. Can anyone help? Files formats .pdf and mp4.

:)

BaldGADawg, Mar 19, 2019

2. Protecting files on a USB stick?

KISS

All you need to do is restrict access to the folder that contains the files. If only you can read/modify the files then they can't copy them. This should also allow you to use the program, as shortcuts will allow the program to be ran.

lilhasselhoffer, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Havoc Win User
    Protecting files on a USB stick?

Hi all,

Probably a bit of a strange request this, but does anyone know how secure files on a usb stick?

I have created a programme that runs entirely off a USB stick and I don't want people to be able to steal it, essentially. I have read in some places that it is possible to make the drive write-protected, does anybody have any experience with doing this?

I have created the program on the USB rather than a CD as it needs to be able to write to the stick rather than just read from it. I've found this to be a bit of an issue on the copy protection front also.

Essentially I want people to still be able to use my prog, but unable to copy the files across to another USB so they can use it. Anyone have any bright ideas?

Havoc, Mar 19, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

how can I protect files being placed on a usb drive from being copied but still allow files...

Protecting files on a USB stick?

Even if you restrict access to read only, they can still copy the program. Read access is all copy needs.

My suggestion for simplicity is to create a small file on the drive and mark it hidden as well as marking it a system file, so even if they turn hidden files on the file won't show up. Put this file in a separate folder that is also marked as system, name the folder something random and windows important sounding. So even if they do find it, they won't know what it is and should ignore it. Then make the main program check for the file on execution and exit if the file isn't on the flash drive.

This should fool 90% of people unless they are pretty computer literate.

newtekie1, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

how can I protect files being placed on a usb drive from being copied but still allow files...

1. how can I protect files being placed on a usb drive from being copied but still allow files... - Similar Threads - protect files being

2. Not being able to drag and copy files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not being able to drag and copy files: Why can't I drag or copy files into device Manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-being-able-to-drag-and-copy-files/1f951a24-d7d4-4df3-8c96-81a629d14da3
  3. Not being able to drag and copy files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to drag and copy files: Why can't I drag or copy files into device Manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-being-able-to-drag-and-copy-files/1f951a24-d7d4-4df3-8c96-81a629d14da3
  4. Not being able to drag and copy files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Protecting file folders in explorer from being deleted

Protecting file folders in explorer from being deleted: How would I protect file folders from being deleted in explorer? I would like to give others permission to review the file folder and it's contents, but protect the folder and it's contents from being deleted....
  6. Protecting file folders in explorer from being deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Protecting file folders in explorer from being deleted: How would I protect file folders from being deleted in explorer? I would like to give others permission to review the file folder and it's contents, but protect the folder and it's contents from being deleted....
  7. Protecting file folders in explorer from being deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How Do I Prevent Files In Usb From Being Copied Or Deleted Using C#

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How Do I Prevent Files In Usb From Being Copied Or Deleted Using C#: i want to develop an windows application which restrict users to copy media files from usb be it mp3,mp4, etc. based on password protection. user can only play media files and can't copy or delete. plese suggest me some solution with example if possible......
  9. Program Files Are Being Placed in Documents File

Program Files Are Being Placed in Documents File: To say that Windows 10 is driving me crazy would be an understatement. Here's the latest problem: Program files (for instance, Winaero, are being saved to the Documents file. So are Windows Metrics. So is just about anything! What the heck? It seems I have no control over...
  10. . how can I protect my hotmail from being shared and being accessed and blocked?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    . how can I protect my hotmail from being shared and being accessed and blocked?: I keep getting msg saying attempt to sign into Gmail failed. How do I stop it. Someone changed my password to my account and my recovery account is hotmail. how can I protect my hotmail from being shared and being blocked? Google sent me a link to reset password but I'm...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to copied read only usb drive to windows desktop