Windows 10: How can i put my System Partition on a different Drive?

Discus and support How can i put my System Partition on a different Drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi Guys, i hope someone of u can help me with my problem. i have an M.2 SSD which is my C: Volume, and a 1 TB HDD for Datastorage... i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SQ_modified, Dec 17, 2020.

1. How can i put my System Partition on a different Drive?

How can i put my System Partition on a different Drive? CKHaOFz4mEs7LAELMCDOFkEL5sNpjh6jqYsGZJT1830.jpg

Hi Guys,

i hope someone of u can help me with my problem.

i have an M.2 SSD which is my C: Volume, and a 1 TB HDD for Datastorage... i wanted to swap my 1TB HDD for a 4 TB HDD now. But thats when i realised that i the System Partition is on my 1TB HDD and when i remove it my PC doesnt boot anymore :/ how can i put my System Partition over to the SSD where it belongs?

Thanks in advance

https://preview.redd.it/fkh7kt0cht5...bp&s=b3ae594b25285f54fd52ab3bbb850e752fd6e1c2

submitted by /u/SQ_modified
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SQ_modified, Dec 17, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 17, 2020
  3. phueal Win User
    Move System Restore Partition to different drive

In case it's helpful to anyone in future, I did resolve this, with a lot more effort than I had hoped to spend! The basic process was:

• Decrypt C: drive;
    • Shrink C: partition by 500mb at beginning of drive;
    • Copy System Restore Partition into unallocated space (I used MiniTool Partition Wizard for this). Mark it as active;
    • Use EasyBCD to ensure it is set up to boot into the OS, and restart to test;
    • Delete System Restore Partition on HDD, and expand the remaining partition to fill the unallocated space;
    • Run Windows 10 installer from within Windows, 'upgrading' the OS, but keeping programs and files - this will repair the manually created System Restore Partition properly;
    • Re-encrypt with Bitlocker.
    Hope it's helpful! Long and the short of it is: try and think of these things before you start...

phueal, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Dia01 Win User

How can i put my System Partition on a different Drive?

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

How can i put my System Partition on a different Drive?

1. How can i put my System Partition on a different Drive? - Similar Threads - put System Partition

2. How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.: I'm again trying to change the iCloud Drive location to a different partition than C:. But the following solution no longer seems to work:How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer?When I re-enable iCloud Drive after creating the link,...
  3. How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.: I'm again trying to change the iCloud Drive location to a different partition than C:. But the following solution no longer seems to work:How do I change which physical drive my iCloud Drive files occupy on my computer?When I re-enable iCloud Drive after creating the link,...
  4. How to change iCloud Drive to different drive partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can i delete a copied version of Program files that i put on a different drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can i delete a copied version of Program files that i put on a different drive?: i thought i could just copy my program files folder to my new HDD to free up space on my ssd but now im stuck with duplicates im not really sure what to do. it says i need to provide administrator permission but im on the administrator account of the computer....
  6. Can Windows access a different partition on the same drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can Windows access a different partition on the same drive?: Does Windows support accessing a second partition on the same drive where Windows is installed? Ie. if Windows is installed on a 150GB partition on a 1TB SSD, can Windows access a second partition on the 1TB SSD? submitted by /u/eriqable [link] [comments]...
  7. can i merge 2 different hard drives into one partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can i merge 2 different hard drives into one partition: my son laptop comes with 100GB SSD (C Drive) Hard disk and 1TB (D Drive) normal hard disk. is it possible to merge these 2 hard disk into one partition of lets say 500GB size, since the C Drive is 90% full. if not is it possible to move Windows, Users and Program files...
  8. can i merge 2 different hard drives into one partition

in Windows 10 Support
    can i merge 2 different hard drives into one partition: my son laptop comes with 100GB SSD (C Drive) Hard disk and 1TB (D Drive) normal hard disk. is it possible to merge these 2 hard disk into one partition of lets say 500GB size, since the C Drive is 90% full. if not is it possible to move Windows, Users and Program files...
  9. How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.: My son would like to create a dual boot operating system. We understand (at least we think) that we need to create 2 partitions on a single drive and install one operating system on each. Hopefully that will give him a dual boot menu when he starts up ? Our problem so far...
  10. Moving System Reserved partition to a different drive | [image]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving System Reserved partition to a different drive | [image]: I currently have one drive that contains a System Reserved partition (which includes the boot files). The status is System, Active, Primary Partition. I have another drive with the C: partition. The status is Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition....