Windows 10: How can I query an ACPI device's current d-state?

Discus and support How can I query an ACPI device's current d-state? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Is there a way to query a device's active/current d-state through an API? I'm not looking for min or max states, or power policy controls, but just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TheKenKardashian, May 22, 2020.

1. How can I query an ACPI device's current d-state?

Is there a way to query a device's active/current d-state through an API? I'm not looking for min or max states, or power policy controls, but just read what the current state is.

:)

TheKenKardashian, May 22, 2020

2. Device ACPI\808622A8\1

Windows 10 device manager

-sound and video games

shows- Intel SST audio device

-properties

-events tab

-says Device ACPI\808622A8\1 requires further installation.

Microsoft saya ACPI is Sony

What are steps for further installation?

Marc Kircos, May 22, 2020
  3. TripTop Win User
    ACPI Suspend Options

check out
    50009562 | Search Results | Ars Technica
    It states
    "
    It's that time again, another long and drawn out post from Hat that'll vanish without trace within a day or two. I bookmark them myself and use them for my own reference. But I do like sharing.

ACPI system level references are seven power states that a device can be in. We commonly refer to them as S0 through S6.

If the system is in a lower power state than a device can support, the device is turned off. All states may be triggered by OS or BIOS, but states below S1 may only be resumed by BIOS. The OS is informed of a hardware power management trigger by the system control interrupt (SCI). Simple SCIs (such as "Power button") are handled directly. Complex SCIs (such as S4) are handled by AML.

S0
    The system is turned on. The CPU is executing or ready to execute instructions, PCI activity is full, AGP activity is full. RAM is being read from, written to or refreshed. Hard disks are on.

S1 "Power On Suspend/Stopgrant" MS: Standby
    The system is turned on. The CPU is not executing and is not ready to execute instructions, although registers and caches are maintained. Devices signalling support for S1 are in the on state, devices without support for S1 are in the off state. RAM is idle, but refreshed. Any device currently in S1 with support for resuming may resume the system (WOL, WOR, keyboard, mouse, timer, etc.). PSU state is on. Hard disks are off in this state and all states deeper.

S2 "Standby"
    Confusing "common" names. S2 is quite logically an intermediate between S1 and S3. RAM refreshes normally. The CPU is in state much like S3. In fact, this is pretty much S3 but with a faster RAM refresh.
    S2 is in the spec, but not usually implemented.

S3 "Suspend to RAM" MS: Standby (if notified by BIOS)
    S3 often needs enabling by jumper on the motherboard or by support in BIOS. The CPU is not executing instructions, is not ready to execute instructions, does not maintain its registers and does not maintain cache. The OS must flush dirty pages from the cache when S3 is entered. Devices able to support S3 and are enabled for resuming, may resume the system. PSU state is off, system RAM is refreshed (at reduced refresh) using 5Vsb. External peripherals (keyboard, mouse) may or may not be able to resume the system, depending on what their host controller does.

S4 "Suspend to disk" MS: Hibernate
    All hardware is in the off state and maintains no context. The system may only be resumed by timer or other hardware resume devices (such as WOL or WOR), but not by interrupts. The contents of RAM are saved to disk and replaced on resume. The PSU is in the off state. Power may be mechanically removed without ill effect.
    Note: S4BIOS is a variation of S4 wherein the BIOS reloads the image and not the OS boot loader. As NTLDR is S4 compatible, this is generally used with other OS'. Linux S4BIOS support is "experimental". Note also that using Windows2000 or XP with grub or lilo WILL break S4 support.

S5 "Soft-Off" MS: Hibernate
    All hardware is in the off state and maintains no context. CMOS is maintained by 5Vsb, as in S4. The PSU is in off state. Power may be mechanically removed without ill effect.

S6
    As S5, but the PSU is isolated. CMOS is maintained by battery. This is not an "official" ACPI state, but is included in many motherboard manuals for some strange reason. This is the best I can dig up about it.

OS Support
    Windows95 does not support any ACPI power management state. Through APM it can access something very like S1, however.
    Windows98 can use S1 or S3, but S3 support is not good.
    WindowsME can use S1, S3 and S4 but not on all hardware. It shares 98's dislike of S3.
    Windows2000 has full ACPI support.
    WindowsXP has full ACPI support.
    Linux (2.4) can use S1 and S3, but not S4. (check your compile with "cat /proc/acpi/info" and give SWSUSP a try)
    FreeBSD appears to handle S1, S3 and S4BIOS.

BIOS Support
    ACPI brings a whole new way of dealing with hardware. It very effectively resolves hardware conflicts and, indeed, there are systems that won't work without it. Such as the one I'm typing on now.
    Of course, ACPI is damn complicated. So vendors tend to skimp. To be "Microsoft ACPI Compliant", a BIOS merely has to support the subset of ACPI which Windows uses. It may not support S2 at all, for example. So earlier machines would not support ACPI well under Linux (though Linux now holds a known "bad-BIOS" list) or BSD.

General ACPI support and feature
    ACPI is a necessity for SMT (hyper-threading) and increasingly NUMA (such as dual Opteron) systems need ACPI to initialise correctly. ACPI is also mandatory for both IA64 and AA64.
    SMP systems benefit from ACPI as some systems now do not the configuration tables used before ACPI for initialising SMP. I believe this is MPS1.1 and MPS1.4.
    ACPI should be used instead of APM, since APM is a brute force "behind the operating system's back" sort of kludge. It also should be used instead of PNPBIOS since PNPBIOS wasn't very reliable at times. ACPI is designed to move all power management responsibility to the OS since the OS will know best what's going on and what the user wants.

H@"

I just googled a bit so not sure if its true or accurate *Nutkick :nutkick:

TripTop, May 22, 2020
  4. How can I query an ACPI device's current d-state?

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 22, 2020
Thema:

How can I query an ACPI device's current d-state?

1. How can I query an ACPI device's current d-state? - Similar Threads - query ACPI device's

2. The battery report in my system states "No batteries are currently installed". How can I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The battery report in my system states "No batteries are currently installed". How can I...: The battery report in my system states "No batteries are currently installed". Although I checked everything, The battery icon is been displayed, it is charging to the full, discharging completely. Also checked the device manager for updating the drivers They are fully up to...
  3. The battery report in my system states "No batteries are currently installed". How can I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The battery report in my system states "No batteries are currently installed". How can I...: The battery report in my system states "No batteries are currently installed". Although I checked everything, The battery icon is been displayed, it is charging to the full, discharging completely. Also checked the device manager for updating the drivers They are fully up to...
  4. The battery report in my system states "No batteries are currently installed". How can I...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. The current state of windows...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The current state of windows...: I am going to start this by saying the full purpose of making this post is to shout into the void and air out all my frustrations over the past year dealing with windows 10. I do not intend to offend anyone, I will stay respectful and can only elaborate on my own...
  6. The current state of windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The current state of windows...: I am going to start this by saying the full purpose of making this post is to shout into the void and air out all my frustrations over the past year dealing with windows 10. I do not intend to offend anyone, I will stay respectful and can only elaborate on my own...
  7. The current state of windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How can I restore this device......D:\ ?

How can I restore this device......D:\ ?: How can I restore this device......D:\ ? Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Object Name not found. Device Manager returns this information. TSST corp CDDVDW SN208AB Properties. (Driver File Details)...
  9. How can I restore this device......D:\ ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I restore this device......D:\ ?: How can I restore this device......D:\ ? Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Object Name not found. Device Manager returns this information. TSST corp CDDVDW SN208AB Properties. (Driver File Details)...
  10. Acpi device

Acpi device: After i updatet from win 8.1 to win 10 i have a device in devicemanager that says older unit. in information it says ACPI\INT0800\4&73ea035&0 no driver installed. what is this and where do i get a driver for this 47139