Windows 10: How can i reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard with the same key?

Discus and support How can i reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard with the same key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. My old system is self assemblied from seperately purchased parts, including the OS that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PowerBaller_777, Sep 25, 2019.

1. How can i reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard with the same key?

I have recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. My old system is self assemblied from seperately purchased parts, including the OS that is brought from the store in a box.

After reinstall the system, the key is obviously not available for a second use. I try to boot up my old system and cant find a way to "deactivate" the key in order to transfer the lincense to my new one.

Is there a correct way to transfer that? Or the license key is binded to my old motherboard forever.

:)

PowerBaller_777, Sep 25, 2019

2. Reactivating Windows 10 with new motherboard

Plugging it into the new motherboard should be enough, but create a recovery drive in case you need to perform a startup repair:

The fact that you don't have a license key concerns me. If Windows 10 came preinstalled on your computer, you can't transfer it to a new computer or motherboard. You will need to purchase an entirely new license.

Learn more about transferring licenses:

Andre Da Costa, Sep 25, 2019
  3. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

4. How can i reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard with the same key?

can i reactivate windows 10 after changing motherboard?

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If you upgraded from a retail license, you can use the product key to reactivate:

Thema:

How can i reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard with the same key?

1. How can i reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard with the same key? - Similar Threads - reactivate motherboard same

2. New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10: Hi, so I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard and I need to reactivate windows 10, the auto activate thingy didnt work and I can't find the activation code in my email because for some reason the email is all broken up and not functioning anymore, is there anything else I...
  3. Can't reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard

Can't reactivate windows 10 on a new motherboard: I recently upgraded my motherboard but when i try to reactivate windows through troubleshoot it keeps saying something about servers unavailable and i've been trying for 2 days When i plug in my old motherboard, windows activates by itself...
  4. New motherboard, can I just buy a new Windows 10 key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New motherboard, can I just buy a new Windows 10 key?: I'm massively upgrading my computer, including a new motherboard. I will be keeping my same hard drive, though. For activating windows on this new motherboard, can I simply buy a new OEM or Retail CD key? submitted by /u/Horcerer_ [link] [comments]...
  5. Changed Motherboard, CPU, and RAM, how can I reactivate windows 10?

Changed Motherboard, CPU, and RAM, how can I reactivate windows 10?: I changed out the motherboard along with the CPU and ram and now when i log into windows it has a little watermark that says 'Activate Windows' on the bottom right of my screen. When i go to settings it says no product key was found. When i click troubleshoot, it give me an...
  6. New Motherboard, and I need to reactivate windows 10.

New Motherboard, and I need to reactivate windows 10.: Hi to the forum, My old motherboard died on me, and I now have a new one. I've had to reactivate a software licence, and then a message on the screen told me to activate windows. I wasn't expecting this to happen. However, I have logged into my account, and it has told me...
  7. New Motherboard need to reactivate windows

New Motherboard need to reactivate windows: I upgraded my computer a few months ago and its been slow and unable to properly update since. It is my understanding that I need to buy a new windows license for $140. Is there a less expensive way to go this? Or a discount of some kind? I was thinking it would be like...
  8. New motherboard won't reactivate

New motherboard won't reactivate: Just had to replace my motherboard, I have a digital licence for the PC Windows 10 won;t reactivate. Licence was the free upgrade from win 7 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-wont-reactivate/c9427cd6-bb88-4101-82bf-c583afc548eb"
  9. Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard: My old motherboard had a corrupted bios and I had to buy a new one. This was a system malfunction I didn't prepare for of course. Now Windows 10 is telling me that my copy is not genuine (when in fact it is). I have followed all the steps on the support page for this issue....
  10. New Motherboard and Reactivation

New Motherboard and Reactivation: I did a clean install using the free upgrade offer a few weeks ago. Sorry to say, but it really looks like I will need a new motherboard, same make and model, but will be leaving everything else the same. Do you think Microsoft will reactivate it afterwards? If not, I...