Windows 10: How can I really eliminate the DATE field from Windows File Explorer?

Discus and support How can I really eliminate the DATE field from Windows File Explorer? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; How can I eliminate this DATE field from Windows File Explorer? It has done nothing but cause me grief and anxiety. "Where is the file I edited this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by SomethingMoreOriginal, Jun 2, 2023.

1. How can I really eliminate the DATE field from Windows File Explorer?

How can I eliminate this DATE field from Windows File Explorer? It has done nothing but cause me grief and anxiety. "Where is the file I edited this morning?!?!?!" And then after much scrambling and panicking, I realize it was that useless and misleading DATE column sitting there, instead of something useful like DATE MODIFIED. Part of me is curious about this field. What purpose could it serve and why is that purpose assumed to be the most important value about a file? It is strange that this value is not explained anywhere in the Windows universe. Their document about File Explorer columns i

:)

SomethingMoreOriginal, Jun 2, 2023
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 2, 2023
  3. Date field has been changed (incorrectly) for all movie (MOV and MP4) files

Date field may be added or removed at any time from fields list (right-click on field name) in Explorer.

Date difference occur because of different time keeping errors. some file systems write system time, some uses GMT time in file data and adapt it to current time zone. Not every copying program take this difference into account unfortunately.

Igor Leyko, Jun 2, 2023
  4. MB_999 Win User

How can I really eliminate the DATE field from Windows File Explorer?

Date field has been changed (incorrectly) for all movie (MOV and MP4) files

Thanks, lacrumb and Igor. I think I figured it out.

First, I am talking about the “Date” field. But I now realize that I don’t recall seeing that field before. I think I’ve always seen “Date modified” in File Explorer. So I’m guessing that Microsoft recently added the “Date” field
    (or perhaps recently made it the new default date field?).

I have now displayed the “Date modified” column and THAT field shows the correct time stamp.

So I mistakenly indicated that the “Date” field has always been correct for the past 15 years. In fact, it’s the “Date modified” field that was always (and still is) correct.

So I have what I need: the correct time stamp, which can be found in the “Date modified” field.

But why on God’s green earth the “Date” field displays the correct time for JPG files but displays a time that’s 7 hours earlier for MOV and MP4 files taken at the same time (and listed in the same folder) is a mystery.

Seems like a bug that File Explorer is using different times (time zones?) for different file types. How does one report a bug to Microsoft? Is this post sufficient?

MB_999, Jun 2, 2023
Thema:

How can I really eliminate the DATE field from Windows File Explorer?

1. How can I really eliminate the DATE field from Windows File Explorer? - Similar Threads - really eliminate DATE

2. Why did Microsoft eliminate navigability from the File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did Microsoft eliminate navigability from the File Explorer?: For years, Microsoft has taken every opportunity to impose modifications on Windows users with the sole purpose of making the operating system and user interface less and less usable. No one can believe now that Windows 11 is not intended to do just this, after multiple...
  3. Why did Microsoft eliminate navigability from the File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did Microsoft eliminate navigability from the File Explorer?: For years, Microsoft has taken every opportunity to impose modifications on Windows users with the sole purpose of making the operating system and user interface less and less usable. No one can believe now that Windows 11 is not intended to do just this, after multiple...
  4. How can I really eliminate the DATE field from Windows File Explorer?

How can I really eliminate the DATE field from Windows File Explorer?: How can I eliminate this DATE field from Windows File Explorer? It has done nothing but cause me grief and anxiety. "Where is the file I edited this morning?!?!?!" And then after much scrambling and panicking, I realize it was that useless and misleading DATE column sitting...
  5. How can I eliminate over scan?

How can I eliminate over scan?: How can I eliminate over scan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-eliminate-over-scan/de38cc5e-c695-47c5-a241-88e6deadc921
  6. How to PERMANENTLY disable Explorer from sorting files by Date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to PERMANENTLY disable Explorer from sorting files by Date: A repeated problem which occurs when there in Windows 10. The Downloads folder keeps on sorting everything by Dates and Weeks. I keep getting this randomly happening and it always takes about an hour of searching through forums to try to find how to disable this setting.I...
  7. date created field

date created field: I am trying to save a pdf document using Acrobat Reader DC, but each time I do so, both the date modifiedand the date created fields change as seen on Windows Explorer. I understand that the date modified changes. That's fine. But why does the date created field change...
  8. Search field missing from explorer

Search field missing from explorer: The search field in explorer, the one in the upper right corner is suddenly missing. It might've happened after an update but I'm not sure exactly when it happened. I updated to build 18922 today, and the search field is still missing. Any solution to this? [ATTACH]...
  9. How can I eliminate face recognition from email?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I eliminate face recognition from email?: When I created my Microsoft account, I set up face recognition but my laptop broke down and I had to reset it. It happened that I forgot my email address and had to create a new one. The issue is I cannot register my face in a new email account because it says that my face...
  10. "Comments" field in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    "Comments" field in File Explorer: There is one available; I have included it on my Details listings. How can I assign a comment? 92733