Windows 10: How Can I Recover Files After Copy/Paste from One User Profile to Another and Shutdown

Discus and support How Can I Recover Files After Copy/Paste from One User Profile to Another and Shutdown in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good morning. =) W10 recently forced a temporary profile onto an offline computer. I am not sure if it was one of those forced Windows updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vanna 01, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Vanna 01 Win User

How Can I Recover Files After Copy/Paste from One User Profile to Another and Shutdown

Good morning. =)

W10 recently forced a temporary profile onto an offline computer. I am not sure if it was one of those forced Windows updates (though- when did I notice it was turned on, I switched it off again in "Settings").

This W10 action deleted my user profile & created a faux "administrator" one.

My response was to use "Explorer" to cut/paste everything from the old profile's "Desktop" onto the new user profile's "Desktop". There was a pop-up on the lower right screen saying that files would not be saved after signing off (which I, ultimately, had to do).

I am now back onto my now-barren desktop without any of those files on them. I can't find any of those files in any search. Where could those files have gone? Would like to know if anyone has ever recovered their files after inadvertently losing them during a similar before-mentioned scenario. I need those files in order to back them up.

Please. HELP! =)

Vanna

:)

Vanna 01, Aug 19, 2018

2. How to copy administrator user account

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below steps to copy the user date and check if it helps.

Note: I suggest to create a new user profile and transfer user data to new account and delete or change the corrupt user profile.

Copy User Data: Follow the below steps to copy files to the new user profile

• Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.
    • In Windows Explorer, click View, and Check mark hidden files and folders, uncheck the
      Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click
      OK
    • Locate the C:\Users\Old Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
    • Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:

• Ntuser.dat

• Ntuser.dat.log

• Ntuser.ini
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Copy
    • Locate the C:\Users\New Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and New Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Paste
    • Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 19, 2018
  3. John Sarc Win User

Hi Mike,

Your user profile might have corrupted resulting to its disappearance in the login page. You can recovering it by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type Windows.old in. A pop-up box will appear.
    • From there, open Users folder. Look for your user profile and copy it.
    • After copying, go to Local Disk (CHow Can I Recover Files After Copy/Paste from One User Profile to Another and Shutdown :), open Users
      and paste your copied user account there.

Let us know if the suggestions did the trick.

John Sarc, Aug 19, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

How Can I Recover Files After Copy/Paste from One User Profile to Another and Shutdown

User Profile Service failed

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Copy the Default folder (in C:\Users) from another windows 10 computer.
    • Rename the Default folder to something like DefaultOLD (just to keep it for safety reasons).
    • Paste it in your Users folder.
    • To make sure that you won't have problems with permissions of the "implant" folder, just transfer it via a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick (those filesystems don't have permissions).

This will provide solution to the error User Profile Service failed.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

1. How Can I Recover Files After Copy/Paste from One User Profile to Another and Shutdown - Similar Threads - Recover Files Copy

2. Copying files from one user account to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying files from one user account to another: I am trying to copy the user account files from one user account to another user account both admin accounts. I am using the hidden Administrator account to do this, but when I copy the files from one account and attempt to paste them into the public account while logged into...
  3. Copying files from one user account to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from one user account to another: I am trying to copy the user account files from one user account to another user account both admin accounts. I am using the hidden Administrator account to do this, but when I copy the files from one account and attempt to paste them into the public account while logged into...
  4. Unable to move files from one user profile to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to move files from one user profile to another: Hello, I am trying to move files from one account to another on windows. However, once I go into advanced system settings and then into user profiles only the "Default profile" can be "copied to" while all the other user profiles cannot. If I could get an answer on how to...
  5. Unable to move files from one user profile to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to move files from one user profile to another: Hello, I am trying to move files from one account to another on windows. However, once I go into advanced system settings and then into user profiles only the "Default profile" can be "copied to" while all the other user profiles cannot. If I could get an answer on how to...
  6. Unable to move files from one user profile to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Copy files from one user to another, and change ownership?

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy files from one user to another, and change ownership?: I'm looking to create a new user on my laptop (20H2 Pro x64) and copy over a bunch of settings and documents from the old user account, and then eventually delete the original account. I seem to recall having permission/ownership problems in the past, when copying files...
  8. Can i just Copy And paste appdata from one user to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can i just Copy And paste appdata from one user to another: Can i just Copy And paste appdata from one user to another if not is there a way or transfering save data of programs stored in appdata to another user...
  9. Unable to copy and paste from one monitor to another

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to copy and paste from one monitor to another: I am using two monitors with windows 10. I cannot copy and paste from one monitor to the other ***Modified title from: I am using two monitors with windows 10. I cannot copy and paste from one monitor to the other***...
  10. Need to copy pinned start menu from one user profile to another

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need to copy pinned start menu from one user profile to another: Need to copy pinned start menu from one user profile to another Is this possible ? thanks 29699

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How can I retreive autotext from another profile

2. redundant files after copying profile