Windows 10: How can I reduce all the clicking Excel makes me do to get to my PINNED files?

Discus and support How can I reduce all the clicking Excel makes me do to get to my PINNED files? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I take the time to PIN certain Excel files within the Excel program. This is presumably so that users can get to them easily. And I use certain files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NilosSakellariou, Apr 23, 2020.

1. How can I reduce all the clicking Excel makes me do to get to my PINNED files?

I take the time to PIN certain Excel files within the Excel program. This is presumably so that users can get to them easily. And I use certain files over and over again during a week. Then my "short" list of these files changes over the month.

The problem is every time I open up Excel it default to a page called "RECENT" and only the recent files used are shown there. This is useless as i go thru a lot of files which a dont need the next time I go to Excel. What i need are the ones I took the time and effort to PIN inside Excel.

So why can;t Excel have an option i can chose so that it opens to my PINed files. You know, the ones we users are specifically identifying as important? as it stands, Microsoft is making me click around more and more just to get to my work. Should be the opposite.

:)

NilosSakellariou, Apr 23, 2020

2. How to pin an Excel 2007 file to the W10 Start fly-out menu

I have W10 and Excel 2007.

I commonly use a file XYZ.xlsx, and I'd like to be able to do the following.

Click Start --> hover over the arrow to the right of Excel 2007 --> show jump list --> click on XYZ.xlsx, either under the "Pinned" or the "Recent" section.

However, when I do the steps above, nothing shows under "Pinned", even though I've pinned XYZ.xlsx inside Excel 2007, I've opened, saved and closed the file several times, etc. Somehow W10 still doesn't know this is a file I want to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vince

Uncle Vinny, Apr 23, 2020
  3. The excel shortcut cannot be pinned to taskbar

Dear Vanessa, sorry for the long wait.

With the help of your your suggestions I now have a much better understanding of when a shortcut can be "pinned' to the task bar.

When I open a "txt" file in word (or in an other Office pgm) I am unable to pin the "Word icon" (or whatever) on the bar, but if I open a non-Office pgm (I used Ultraedit) I can pin the UE icon to the bar.

When I said I could not make the icon of an EXCEL pgm "stick", I had noticed that a popup claimed that it was already pinned i. e. I already had an EXCEL icon on the task bar which I use to open EXCEL. I then realized that in response to a click on the
    EXCEL icon I obtain a window that shows a list of recent EXCEL files. This usually contains the file that I want to open.

Thank you very much, Siegfried

SiegfriedSchulte, Apr 23, 2020
  4. How can I reduce all the clicking Excel makes me do to get to my PINNED files?

Option to pin to taskbar is missing for Excel in Windows 10

Hello Kent,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Usually when you're working on any Excel file, you can see an instance of Excel Icon will be located on taskbar. Simply right-click and selecting
    Pin to taskbar will do this. Let me elaborate this in steps.

* Open new Excel sheet or any Excel file which you're working. (I.e. to open new Excel sheet, press
    Start, type Excel and select same from the list)

* Go to Taskbar and then right-click on opened Excel file located on taskbar.

* Now select Pin to taskbar.

Another way is, go to Start /> All apps, then navigate alphabetically till you find
    Excel. Then right-click on, point to More and select Pin to taskbar.

Done, this will Pin Excel sheet to Taskbar. You can follow the same steps for pinning any application to taskbar.

Keep us posted the outcome.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

How can I reduce all the clicking Excel makes me do to get to my PINNED files?

1. How can I reduce all the clicking Excel makes me do to get to my PINNED files? - Similar Threads - reduce clicking Excel

2. How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?: When I open Excel and click file/open, I have 5 files in the pinned section. However, in the taskbar icon, there are only two of those files in the pinned section. Clicking on the pin icon next to a file, doesn't move it to the pinned section of files in the taskbar.Any...
  3. How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?: When I open Excel and click file/open, I have 5 files in the pinned section. However, in the taskbar icon, there are only two of those files in the pinned section. Clicking on the pin icon next to a file, doesn't move it to the pinned section of files in the taskbar.Any...
  4. No longer can pin excel files to taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No longer can pin excel files to taskbar: I used to be able to pin files directly to the taskbar for excel, I can still do this for other programs Word, File Explorer, etc.. When I right click on the Excel icon I see the list of pinned files and recent files, and I can see the option to Unpin the existing ones, and...
  5. No longer can pin excel files to taskbar

No longer can pin excel files to taskbar: I used to be able to pin files directly to the taskbar for excel, I can still do this for other programs Word, File Explorer, etc.. When I right click on the Excel icon I see the list of pinned files and recent files, and I can see the option to Unpin the existing ones, and...
  6. No longer can pin excel files to taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How do I get rid of my PIN?

How do I get rid of my PIN?: Hello, I have tried removing my PIN several times following countless tutorials but every time it prompts me to input the PIN I just ''removed'', I did disable the ''For improved security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device'', that didn't...
  8. How do I get Excel to play a short audio file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get Excel to play a short audio file?: I have a major project that has been in development for several years. Now I wan it to make announcements on queue to activate a smart speaker.Can you get me started on learning how to do this?I cannot figure out how to set the text boxes below. There seems to be nothing for...
  9. How do I get Excel to play a short audio file?

How do I get Excel to play a short audio file?: I have a major project that has been in development for several years. Now I wan it to make announcements on queue to activate a smart speaker.Can you get me started on learning how to do this?I cannot figure out how to set the text boxes below. There seems to be nothing for...
  10. How do I get Excel to play a short audio file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing