Windows 10: how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license?

Discus and support how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm thinking about buying a SSD to have a faster machine but I don't know how can I reinstall the system without losing my license. Can anyone help me?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/brownieinutil, Dec 3, 2019.

1. how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license?

I'm thinking about buying a SSD to have a faster machine but I don't know how can I reinstall the system without losing my license. Can anyone help me?

submitted by /u/brownieinutil
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/brownieinutil, Dec 3, 2019
  2. jpierce55 Win User

Reinstall Windows?

You don't need to reinstall windows. Go to the device manager and remove uninstall the processor and motherboard drivers listed. When you start the system back up you should be able to re-install the new ones. I just changed my mobo/processor Friday, everything is fine.

BTW I have seen some reviews that state practically no difference in using more than 2gb of ram.

jpierce55, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Reinstall windows 10 without losing data

Hi Chris,

It is important to know what was the result of running chkdsk, as this will help us determine if this is a possible hard drive failure. Can you tell us what was the result of chkdsk?

However, if the result did not find any errors, then you can check for corruption in the system files that is preventing your computer from booting up. We suggest that you run the System File Checker tool to address this. Use the installation media to run
    the tool.

• Connect the installation media to your computer and then turn it on.
    • On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how
      to change your PC's boot order, and then try again.
    • Select Repair your computer. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Command prompt.
    • Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

• Once done, restart the computer.
    If still your computer is unable to boot up, then we recommend you refresh your PC. You're not going to lose any files as long as you choose this option. However, we cannot guarantee that you're not going to lose any programs. To do this , follow these steps:

• Connect the installation media to your computer and then turn it on.
    • Select Repair your computer. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot >Refresh your PC.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Mark Ole, Dec 3, 2019
  4. how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license?

Wìndows 10 full format without losing license

Unless you change to new hardware (motherboard), you should not need to do anything. You should be able to clean/reformat your harddisks and reinstall without an explicit windows 10 key (leave the windows key field empty during the install).

To be safe, I would recommend that you link your windows 10 product key with a Microsoft account. This should allow you to login with that account to re-verify your Windows 10, even if you have new hardware.

Step 1. Make sure you are using a Microsoft account:

Keep in mind that if you did not already have a Microsoft account, that your new login information will change to the email address/password associated with the Microsoft account.

1. Open "Settings"
    2. Select "Accounts"
    3. Select "Your info"
    4. Select "Sign in with your Microsoft account instead" link.
    5. Fill the information required
    6. "Sign in" and follow the remaining instructions.

The next step is to verify that your microsoft account is associated with the windows key.

1. Once again, open "Settings".
    2. Select "Update & security".
    3. Select "Activation" on the left bar.

If everything is good, it should say next to Activation: "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

When you now reformat your machine, simply login with your Microsoft account.

Step 2. Hardware Change

As the others have mentioned, if you have changed motherboard you would lose the "windows key" associated with it. That is why you will need to notify Microsoft about "Hardware change".

1. Select "Settings"
    2. Select "Update & security"
    3. Select "Activation" on the left side.
    4. Select "Troubleshoot". It should say something about it failing to be activated on your device.
    5. Select "I changed hardware on this device recently".
    6. Login with your Microsoft account (if you haven't already).
    7. Select the device you are using now, and select Activate

Sidenote: I have recently changed my own hardware (motherboard, CPU, GPU), and followed the steps above in order to keep using my same Windows 10 key.
    If for some reasons you had to take additional steps; please comment and let me know so I can update the step-by-step answer how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license? :)

Ivan Skodje, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license?

1. how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license? - Similar Threads - reinstall system without

2. How can I reinstall Windows 11 Pro on a new SSD without losing my license? Also, will...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reinstall Windows 11 Pro on a new SSD without losing my license? Also, will...: I have a Dell Optiplex 5090 sff pc and I’m experiencing issues with Microsoft Windows OS 11 version. My current configuration only has a 7200rpm HDD 3.5 of 2TB. I’m having frequent issues with Windows OS. Issue 1:Every time there is an update or the system is rebooted after...
  3. How can I reinstall Windows 11 Pro on a new SSD without losing my license? Also, will...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reinstall Windows 11 Pro on a new SSD without losing my license? Also, will...: I have a Dell Optiplex 5090 sff pc and I’m experiencing issues with Microsoft Windows OS 11 version. My current configuration only has a 7200rpm HDD 3.5 of 2TB. I’m having frequent issues with Windows OS. Issue 1:Every time there is an update or the system is rebooted after...
  4. how can i reinstall windows without losing apps and downloads.

how can i reinstall windows without losing apps and downloads.: so i have an issue and im going to need to reinstall windows, but how can i do so without losing my files AND apps, i tried doing so but there wasnt any choice to not lose my apps, im also im not sure how can i back up my apps, how can i do it?...
  5. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  6. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  7. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?: Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?So im on Windows 11 and if i reinstall the os to Windows 10 will my Windows license get removed?Because im planing to reinstall to remove bloat, clean up space, and also Windows 11 runs worse than Windows 10 for me also i...
  9. Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?

Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?: Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?So im on Windows 11 and if i reinstall the os to Windows 10 will my Windows license get removed?Because im planing to reinstall to remove bloat, clean up space, and also Windows 11 runs worse than Windows 10 for me also i...
  10. Will I lose my license if I reinstall Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will I lose my license if I reinstall Windows 10?: I have an ASUS A407UF and it has Windows 10 Home Single Languange pre-installed. I want to upgrade my laptop to SSD and install Windows on that SSD while keeping my HDD as storage. Will I lose my license? Or is it connected to the motherboard and I just have to log in to my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if you reser your computer will you loose all my pictures yes or no for windows 10