Windows 10: How can I release/renew an ip for a network printer?

Discus and support How can I release/renew an ip for a network printer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a printer that is attached to my network wirelessly. This printer frequently becomes inaccessible, requiring a reboot of the broadband... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Athena..., Oct 5, 2018.

1. Athena... Win User

How can I release/renew an ip for a network printer?

I have a printer that is attached to my network wirelessly. This printer frequently becomes inaccessible, requiring a reboot of the broadband gateway. The network consists of 15 devices and the router also handles two phone lines so it's a pain to have to reboot just to use the printer. Is there some way I can just release/renew the IP for the printer to get it back online?

In that same vein, can I somehow release devices that are no longer present to clean things up?

Thanks

:)

Athena..., Oct 5, 2018

2. Side effects of releasing/renewing IP addresses?

There is a fairly well know security package that is causing some users problems on Win 10 AU - browser connections get blocked. (Other TCP/IP connectivity is unaffected - just browsers.) A user of the product found that releasing and renewing DHCP-provided IP address - i.e., doing "ipconfig /release" followed by ipconfig /renew"" temporarily fixes the problem. Can someone explain to me what doing a release/renew does to Windows such that a program - even a program with deeply embedded hooks - would even know this has happened.

Obviously the computer will get a new IP address from DHCP. (Which, for many DHCP servers, will likely be the same as the old one.) If it gets a new address, will this make Windows switch it's network profile from "Private" to "Guest or Public"? (I know the security package will see that.)

And a few more questions relating to /release and /renew but unrelated to the problem:
    I see there are IPv6 versions of /release and /renew. Does that mean that /release and /renew apply to only IPv4 addresses, or do those commands apply to both IPv4 and IPv6? If only IPv4, is there a way to release and renew all addresses? The DHCP server supplied a list of DNS servers as part of the DHCP handshake. Does the release and renew process also renew the list of DNS servers? If so, is there the same division of IPv4 and IPv6?

pokeefe0001, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Set Broadband Internet Connection Network Configuration

Hi,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, kindly run the
    Network and Internet Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter,
    follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Choose
      Network and Internet.

• Run the following
      Troubleshooter:

• Internet Connections.

• Network Adapter.

• Incoming Connections.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try to
    renew
    your
    IP address. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• Ipconfig/release
        and hit
        Enter.

• Ipconfig/renew
        and hit
        Enter.

• Exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 7, 2018
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Side effects of releasing/renewing IP addresses?

Normally there should be no ill effects from releasing and renewing an IP address. Network communication is inherently unreliable and properly designed software will handle any temporary disruptions this may cause.

LMiller7, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I release/renew an ip for a network printer? - Similar Threads - release renew network

2. Ran the command "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" but renew will not work and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ran the command "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" but renew will not work and...: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop with Windows 11 and is all up to date. I was running commands in Powershell 7 ran as admin for a class assignment and one was to run ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew, however, renew did not work and is saying my media is...
  3. Set default printer based on network IP

in Windows 10 Support
    Set default printer based on network IP: Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I recall in window 7 there was an option to set default print device based on Network. Has this option been removed or is it just hidden. Please suggest a method that I can set do you default print device based on IP address....
  4. How can I find a printer's IP address?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I find a printer's IP address?: How can I find a printer's IP address in Windows 10? I sometimes need to access a Windows 10 PC with TeamViewer remote software. I sometimes can't find the printer's IP address, it doesn't appear under Control Panel > right click on Printer > Properties > Web Services tab...
  5. How can I release/renew an ip for a network printer?

How can I release/renew an ip for a network printer?: I have a printer that is attached to my network wirelessly. This printer frequently becomes inaccessible, requiring a reboot of the broadband gateway. The network consists of 15 devices and the router also handles two phone lines so it's a pain to have to reboot just to...
  6. Media Disconnected Error- IP Renewal

Media Disconnected Error- IP Renewal: My laptop wasn’t able to connect to the wifi of the hostel that I will be living at for the next few months, I read through some troubleshooting sites and it looked like resetting my IP was the best way to go. However, once I released my IP i haven’t been able to create a new...
  7. cant renew ip config

cant renew ip config: cant renew my ip config because my media is disconnected these are my settings Name: Local Area Connection* 10 Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical address (MAC): 70:1c:e7:d4:cb:b0 Status: Not operational Maximum transmission unit: 1500 IPv4...
  8. IP Address must be manually released/renewed every time Windows is restarted.

IP Address must be manually released/renewed every time Windows is restarted.: Hello all, I am having an issue with network connectivity on my laptop. Every time I restart my Windows OS, in order to get an internet connection I must manually release and renew my IP address via the command prompt. This happens with both Wired and wireless connections,...
  9. IPConfig /release and /renew throughout network

IPConfig /release and /renew throughout network: Hi, I apologise if this problem has been solved anywhere. I did do a search for it but there didn't seem to be any complete solutions as far as I could see. Around a week ago, a colleague's computer would not connect to the internet (although was connected to the...
  10. Side effects of releasing/renewing IP addresses?

Side effects of releasing/renewing IP addresses?: There is a fairly well know security package that is causing some users problems on Win 10 AU - browser connections get blocked. (Other TCP/IP connectivity is unaffected - just browsers.) A user of the product found that releasing and renewing DHCP-provided IP address - i.e.,...