Windows 10: How can I remove a Seagate External HDD safely on Windows 10? Solved

Discus and support How can I remove a Seagate External HDD safely on Windows 10? Solved in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Please answer! I just need to be able to remove it so I can use it like a backup. *Homer Drooling --EDITED AFTER SOLVED-- Figured it out! Go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ProgrammerWhiz, Aug 2, 2016.

1. How can I remove a Seagate External HDD safely on Windows 10? Solved

Please answer! I just need to be able to remove it so I can use it like a backup. *Homer Drooling

--EDITED AFTER SOLVED--

Figured it out! Go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound then right click on the external, and press Remove Device.
    Then unplug it! TAAA-DAAHHHH!! It has safely been removed! *Wink

:)

ProgrammerWhiz, Aug 2, 2016
  2. jcirish Win User

Seagate Goflex external HDD shows only empty folders with bizarre names.. No files are shown

OS is Windows 10 upgrade from Window 7.

On my Seagate Goflex external HDD the ac adapter plug went up in puff of blue smoke when plugged into the HDD. The drive is still ok, though, (with one exception (see below). I removed the HDD from the Seagate enclosure (whew!) and installed it in an Insignia
    enclosure. Windows sees the drive and can access the Seagate software (Dashboard, etc.) although I haven't installed these since they are not compatible with Windows 10. I can also write to the drive.(Driver must be ok?)

Here is the problem: There are nofiles
    shown on the HDD. Shown are only empty folders with bizarre names like "1d18a6974880f2c3e3a1014fa2fc", "04ce857af71830af20eed1d2b1", etc.

Can anyone tell me how to recover the missing files and perhaps also the folder names?

Grateful for any and all help.

jcirish, Aug 2, 2016
  3. JenTaway Win User
    Portable External Drive Problem

Hi! I have this 1TB portable external drive (Seagate) and my computer dont read it. When I plug it on my Windows 10 laptop, the safely remove icon appears but it doesnt show on my PC. And the the external drive does not blink but when i eject it, I can
    safely remove it. What is really the problem, my laptop or the external drive?

JenTaway, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

How can I remove a Seagate External HDD safely on Windows 10? Solved

Usually there's an icon in the Notification Area that looks like a USB Thumb/Flash drive, I click that then click the drive shown to get the Safely Remove prompt. I have 3 WDC drives.

How can I remove a Seagate External HDD safely on Windows 10? Solved [​IMG]

Berton, Aug 2, 2016
Thema:

How can I remove a Seagate External HDD safely on Windows 10? Solved

1. How can I remove a Seagate External HDD safely on Windows 10? Solved - Similar Threads - remove Seagate External

2. Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD: To give some background I have been using a acer 300 se laptop as a gaming laptop and also to keep photos. But recently built a PC as a daily driver and was hoping to use a external hdd used on my laptop to transfer everything to me PC. So on the first time turning it on for...
  3. Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD: To give some background I have been using a acer 300 se laptop as a gaming laptop and also to keep photos. But recently built a PC as a daily driver and was hoping to use a external hdd used on my laptop to transfer everything to me PC. So on the first time turning it on for...
  4. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  5. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  6. Cannot safely remove external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external HDD: I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message: 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and...
  7. How can I install Windows 10 on a external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I install Windows 10 on a external hdd: I'm running a Linux system and I'm looking to install Windows 10 on a external hard drive. submitted by /u/Ron_999 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gvr5m3/how_can_i_install_windows_10_on_a_external_hdd/
  8. HDD in external hub spins after safe removal

HDD in external hub spins after safe removal: Win 10 build 17134. I have a HDD hub U.S.B. 03, auto-supplied. After ejection or safe removal or disconnection from devices panel etc-etc (I'd tried all the possible ways) some of my drives keep spinning (obviously also after shutdown as it has it's own plug). The hub has a...
  9. Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD

Unable to detect Seagate 4TB External HDD: Hi I have been trying to plug and unplug the Seagate 4TB External HDD with my Mac Pro which run Windows and was unable to detect my HDD. what is the cause of the problem and how can I recover it? Anyone can help or advice what should I do? Thanks...
  10. How to safely remove an external drive?

How to safely remove an external drive?: I always have problems to safely remove an external drive: [img] The Task Manager causing an error message when I try to safely remove an external is closed. There is no process shown accessing anything on the external drive: [img] What else could I do (besides...