Windows 10: How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?

Discus and support How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to remove the security options at the sign-in screen, but I'm not having any luck so far. I've changes the sign-in settings to not... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by KalebRabe, Apr 22, 2022.

1. KalebRabe Win User

How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?

Hello, I'm trying to remove the security options at the sign-in screen, but I'm not having any luck so far. I've changes the sign-in settings to not require a Windows Hello sign in and changed the "Require Sign-in" dropdown box to never, but I still have to type out the password every time. I also used netplwiz to disable a username and password being needed to use the computer in User Accounts, but that hasn't done anything either. So I'm not sure if this is some sort of bug or if it's by design, but I'm hoping someone has a fix for this. Kaleb

:)

KalebRabe, Apr 22, 2022

2. Logon screen keeps on appearing after waking up the computer from sleep - Windows 10

Hi,

This is actually the first thing we tried. The computer comes up with a message saying:

"Authentication is required when this PC wakes from sleep. To change this go to setttings and search for Power and Sleep."

The dropdown box underneath is greyed out, and inactive.

Going to Power and Sleep leads to your first suggestion, which is a dead end.

Regards, Stewart

StewartPeppiatt, Apr 22, 2022
  3. Lilla45 Win User
    [SOLVED] Windows 10 doesn't (or doesn't always) prompt me to sign-in on wake up even though "require a password" on wake up is set.

FYI. Acer Aspire Switch 10 (SW5-012) 2-in-1 laptop/tablet running Windows 10 Home (clean install).

ISSUE: Windows 10 doesn't (or doesn't always) prompt me to sign-in on wake up even though "require a password" on wake up is set.

SOLUTION: Change "Require sign-in" (see below) to Every Time.

Test conditions.

• Control Panel > Power Options > Require a password on wake
    Password protection on wakeup

Require a password (recommended) ç==== (selected)

Don’t require a password

• Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Screen

On battery, turn off after 4 min (default = 4 min).

When plugged in, turn off after 10 min (default = 10 min).
    • Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

Require sign-in

If you’ve been away, when should Windows require you to sign-in again?

choices: Never, Every Time, 1 minute, 3 min, 5 min, 15 min (default = ?)

Test 1. Set “Require sign-in” (see above) to “15 min.”

• If I wake it up too soon after putting it to sleep, I am not prompted to sign-in.
    • However, if I wait a while to wake it (say 20-25 min for good measure) after putting it to sleep, it prompts me to sign in.

On battery: 4+15 min = 19 min. (so about 20 min)

When plugged in: 10+15=25 min.

Test 2. Set “Require sign-in” (see above) to “Every Time”

• I wait for it to go to sleep (screen turns off), then after 2-3 seconds I wake it. As expected, it now prompts me to sign-in. FYI. The manual for this computer says to wait at least 2 second between sleep and wake.
    CONCLUSION: Now that I understand what's happening, I've set "Require sign-in" back to 15 min. as it provides an acceptable balance between Never and Every Time.

Hope this helps someone else. Took me a long time to figure it out.

Lilla

Lilla45, Apr 22, 2022
  4. ckyz Win User

How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?

Require sign-in not working

Dell XPS13 with Windows 10 Home

Trying to change the 'Require sign-in' on the Sign-in options page does not work. Will automatically return to 'Never' when navigating away from the tab, and computer will wake from sleep without requiring any sign-in.

Any suggestions?

Thema:

1. How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep? - Similar Threads - remove sign being

2. Computer wakes from sleep automatically every morning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer wakes from sleep automatically every morning: Hello,every morning at 5:26 my computer wakes up from hibernation. But I'm not sure why this happens. I tried:> powercfg -devicequery wake_armedNONE>powercfg -lastwakeWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 0I looked at Task Scheduler Library, but there...
  3. Computer wakes from sleep automatically every morning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer wakes from sleep automatically every morning: Hello,every morning at 5:26 my computer wakes up from hibernation. But I'm not sure why this happens. I tried:> powercfg -devicequery wake_armedNONE>powercfg -lastwakeWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 0I looked at Task Scheduler Library, but there...
  4. How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?: Hello, I'm trying to remove the security options at the sign-in screen, but I'm not having any luck so far. I've changes the sign-in settings to not require a Windows Hello sign in and changed the "Require Sign-in" dropdown box to never, but I still have to type out the...
  5. How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?

How can I remove a sign-in being required every time the computer wakes from sleep?: Hello, I'm trying to remove the security options at the sign-in screen, but I'm not having any luck so far. I've changes the sign-in settings to not require a Windows Hello sign in and changed the "Require Sign-in" dropdown box to never, but I still have to type out the...
  6. Word opens every time my computer wakes from sleep.

Word opens every time my computer wakes from sleep.: I don't think it starts on boot, just when it wakes up. It's not in any startup lists, in settings or task manager at least, I've probably checked elsewhere though. It's really weird, I can't seem to find any setting in Word itself, and Google isn't helping me. I don't recall...
  7. Word opens every time my computer wakes from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word opens every time my computer wakes from sleep.: I don't think it starts on boot, just when it wakes up. It's not in any startup lists, in settings or task manager at least, I've probably checked elsewhere though. It's really weird, I can't seem to find any setting in Word itself, and Google isn't helping me. I don't recall...
  8. How do I enable "Require sign-in" from Every Time to Never?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I enable "Require sign-in" from Every Time to Never?!: Just updated from 1909 to 2004 and have run into this issue. Before I could set to never so if my laptop went to sleep I could simply wake and resume. Now it's grayed out on "Every Time" and I have to scan my finger. Apparently Windows Hello is preventing this although I'd...
  9. Computer wakes from sleep automatically every night

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer wakes from sleep automatically every night: I put my computer to sleep before going to bed, but the signon screen is brightly lit every morning. Furthermore, when I launch Windows Update, it never seems to finish searching for new updates. In searching for a cause of the waking, I have come across the following...
  10. computer wakes from sleep at night time

in Windows 10 Support
    computer wakes from sleep at night time: Each morning when I wake up, my computer is on, rather than in sleep mode, as I left it. I have disabled the power of the mouse to wake it. What else can I try to fix this problem? 24004