Windows 10: How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key?

Discus and support How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have been trying really hard, but failing, to remove these items from the "new" context menu (as shown when right-clicking the desktop background): *... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by twentythree, Aug 14, 2019.

1. How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key?

I have been trying really hard, but failing, to remove these items from the "new" context menu (as shown when right-clicking the desktop background):
    * Microsoft Access Database
    * Microsoft Word document
    * Microsoft Powerpoint presentation
    * Microsoft Excel sheet

This is on a new computer with Windows 10 preinstalled.

I have successfully removed other file types from the "new" context menu by disabling their ShellNew keys in the system registry. However, the four file types above lack ShellNew keys.

Additionally, they do not show up the first time I right-click to check the "new" context menu items (after rebooting Windows), but they appear from nowhere the second time I right-click.

These two things, taken together, make me suspect that these four file types are included in some sort of override of Explorer, rather than over the registry itself, and therefore I guess that this forum category may be a good place to start. Whatever is happening seems to be Office-related, as I got the same problem on my old Windows 7 computer after I installed the latest Office version (I never managed to remove these file types there either). I am completely at a loss concerning what to do. I have been googling for answers for the last 1-2 weeks, sometimes several hours per day, without finding any solution. I am increasingly frustrated by my inability to get rid of this unwanted clutter of the context menu. I just want to remove these four little entries.

Does anyone know of anything that might help me with this problem?

:)

twentythree, Aug 14, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Add or Remove Default New Context Menu Items in Windows 10

@Steve C,

In addition, you can delete the "ShellNew" key to remove the file type from the "New" context menu.

Editing the .reg files in the tutorial below can help show you more on the "ShellNew" key.

Brink, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Add or Remove Start Context menu items

Nyima,

I was not asking about adding and removing regular app items to the start menu, but rather adding or removing items from the Context Menu (Win+X). Specifically, I would like to add the Devices and Printers item to the list.

Thank you for the response.

Crazy IT Dude, Aug 14, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key?

New context menu - missing new excel worksheet?

Hello Sol, and welcome to Ten Forums. How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key? :)

Yeah, that tutorial will only restore the default New context menu items.

The .reg file below should restore the Microsoft Excel Worksheet New context menu item for Office 2016.

Code:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx\Excel.Sheet.12\ShellNew] "FileName"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\Root\\VFS\\Windows\\ShellNew\\excel12.xlsx"
    New_Microsoft_Excel_Worksheet.reg

Brink, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key?

1. How can I remove "new" context menu Office items without ShellNew key? - Similar Threads - remove context menu

2. How can i add a new item in the new Windows 11 main context menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i add a new item in the new Windows 11 main context menu?: I want to add a new item or at least move one from the "Show more options" to the main context menu in Windows 11. The app i want to move is the VS Code, it has the "Open with Code" item in the "Show more options", but it will really help to have it in the main one. I saw...
  3. How can i add a new item in the new Windows 11 main context menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i add a new item in the new Windows 11 main context menu?: I want to add a new item or at least move one from the "Show more options" to the main context menu in Windows 11. The app i want to move is the VS Code, it has the "Open with Code" item in the "Show more options", but it will really help to have it in the main one. And I saw...
  4. Remove some context menu items for folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove some context menu items for folders: So I download qttabbar, decided I didn't like it, so I uninstalled it. But it left these items in the folder context menu. Is there a program I can install or a .bat file or something? These menu items are a eyesore, and they don't do anything....
  5. Adding items to the New context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  6. Adding items to the New context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding items to the New context menu.: I have been trying to get a .php file in the new context menu with no luck. Even without the template file, it still does not work. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I have followed several procedures and none of them work. Windows 10 Pro RTM x64 V.2004 165692
  7. Adding an item to the new context menu.

Adding an item to the new context menu.: I am looking for a way to add a new item to the new context menu. The item in question is a .php file, with an associated template file. I've been tinkering around with the registry trying to get it to work, but nothing seems to be working. All the old methods no longer...
  8. How can I delete this items from the context menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I delete this items from the context menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/duradara [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hyvcph/how_can_i_delete_this_items_from_the_context_menu/
  9. Rename item in New context menu

Rename item in New context menu: There are many well descripted sources about how to add/delete item from context menu new – for instance Edit, Add, Remove items from New Context Menu in Windows 10 – but none of them states how to rename such item in reliable way. I found article Change Name/Description...
  10. How to remove context menu items from shell?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove context menu items from shell?: I want to remove the following three items only (marked with red x). [img] 115171

Users found this page by searching for:

1. access databese key shelnew

2. new menu shellnew registry office