Windows 10: How can I remove the temporary update files?

Discus and support How can I remove the temporary update files? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Can it be eliminated? I want to free up space... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/clocoo, Mar 31, 2021.

1. /u/clocoo Win User

How can I remove the temporary update files?

/u/clocoo, Mar 31, 2021
  2. Eiji T Win User

Unable to Remove Temporary Update Files

Hello!

I'm your Independent Advisor for today. Let's figure this out and come up with a solution.

Please follow these steps to remove files in the temporary file folder:

1. Open a Run box (Windows key + R).

2. Type this command in and click OK: %temp%

3. Select all of the files inside the folder and delete them.

You can also follow the steps in the link below if the above didn't work:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-temporary-...

Hope this helps.

---------

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Eiji T, Mar 31, 2021
  3. How To Delete Temporary Internet Files And Temporary Files In Windows 10

Hi,

As you are saying that you are not able to delete the temporary internet files and temporary Files in Windows 10.

Provide us with the below details for better clarity on the issue.

1.Have you installed any third party applications to clean up temporary Files?

2.In the Disk Cleanup had you checked the Temporary Internet files and Temporary files before doing disk cleanup?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and try deleting the temporary internet files.

• Open Internet Explorer by typing Internet Explorer in Search Bar. Click the
      Tools
      button, and then click Internet Options.
    • Click the General tab, and then, under Browsing history, click
      Delete.
    • In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, select the check boxes for the information you want to delete, click
      Delete, and then click OK.
    I also suggest you refer the Microsoft article on View and delete browser history in Microsoft Edge
    and check if it helps.

View and delete browser history in Microsoft Edge

Let us know if the issue with the deletion of temporary files is resolved we will be glad to assist you further.

Anup Karkal, Mar 31, 2021
  4. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

1. How can I remove the temporary update files? - Similar Threads - remove temporary update

2. how can i remove 70 gb of temporary files??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i remove 70 gb of temporary files??: i have been trying to remove those temporary files for a while, searching on the prefetch temp end %temp% folder, but it doesn't seem to really change anything, i still have those 70gb of temporary files. what do i do?...
  3. how can i remove 70 gb of temporary files??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i remove 70 gb of temporary files??: i have been trying to remove those temporary files for a while, searching on the prefetch temp end %temp% folder, but it doesn't seem to really change anything, i still have those 70gb of temporary files. what do i do?...
  4. can i delete the download temporary file?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can i delete the download temporary file?: hi, so I only have 1 GB of storage left and I found this download temporary file, its about 11 GB. should I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-the-download-temporary-file/d551e491-f4ad-4ec3-a7de-fc4249d80af5
  5. can i delete the download temporary file?

can i delete the download temporary file?: hi, so I only have 1 GB of storage left and I found this download temporary file, its about 11 GB. should I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-the-download-temporary-file/d551e491-f4ad-4ec3-a7de-fc4249d80af5
  6. can i delete temporary files

in Windows 10 Customization
    can i delete temporary files: can i delete windows update cleanup files without loosing windows version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-temporary-files/dfb5a63f-3387-44f5-9916-0806fe0b21c0
  7. How can I recover the files that I moved in a temporary account

How can I recover the files that I moved in a temporary account: Please help. I wasn't aware that I was logged in a temporary account. I panicked and I was looking for my desktop folders and files. Then I found them in the C:\Users\User\Desktop. I copied them in the desktop of the temporary account that I was unaware of. I restarted my...
  8. Unable to Remove Temporary Update Files

Unable to Remove Temporary Update Files: Windows 7 failed many times to install an update and has left 44 directories of temporary files. I have updated to Windows 10 but am unable to remove the files, as they say that requires System access....
  9. remove temporary files

remove temporary files: how or if can I remove DirectX Shader Cache files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-temporary-files/36717566-7436-4cf2-9610-941f6e0f26e3"
  10. Temporary file removal

Temporary file removal: Is System Mechanic a safe program to use for Windows maintenance? Just wondering because the built in feature through Windows settings/storage/removing files is really slow. No hurry to respond...just curious......