Windows 10: How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10?

Discus and support How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I made a bad mistake and I removed both permissions for the SYSTEM and for administrators on my local disk c drive. How can I reset all the user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JacobCole26, Jun 6, 2020.

1. How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10?

I made a bad mistake and I removed both permissions for the SYSTEM and for administrators on my local disk c drive. How can I reset all the user permissions to default?

:)

JacobCole26, Jun 6, 2020

2. Reset Windows 10 file permissions to default

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you receiving any error message while accessing any files?
    I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Startup troubleshooter.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window

7. Reboot

Method 2: If you are facing issues accessing files, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Tomscot2 Win User
    How do you Restore Windows 10 User Permissions to default?

For Windows 10. I accidentally changed a user permission for my Documents folder. I am the administrator. The Security permission listed is for the homegroup users, but not System, Administrator or User (me). I
    can't change the permissions back because it tells me that I do not have access to certain folders. I did not have System Restore enabled. When I try to change the permission in the parent folder it still denies access for the one folder.

Is there any way to reset all permissions to default for this folder?

Tomscot2, Jun 6, 2020
  4. How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10?

Folder permissions, windows search engine permissions, default permissions.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with the search index.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any error code/error message while trying to search?
    2. May I know the error code or error message that you’re receiving when you try to install the software?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?

Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

I suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below to fix the issue with the search index.

Method 1

Check if the Windows Search service is running

1. Open the run command (Windows + R key) and type in
      services.msc.
    2. Scroll down and look for Windows Search from the list.
    3. Click on Windows Search entry. In the Status column (see above picture), you will see Running if the service is running. Ensure that the Startup type is Automatic or Automatic (delayed) by checking the Startup type column.

Method 2

Rebuild Search Index

1. Click on Start, type in Indexing Options and press
      Enter.
    2. Once the Indexing Options is launched, click the ‘Advanced’ button to open
      Advanced Options.
    3. Click on Rebuild button under ‘Troubleshooting’ section.
    4. Click on OK button and Windows 10 will start rebuilding the search index. It might take time to complete the process.
    5. Restart the computer and check the status of the issue.

In regards to your query about SYSTEM permissions, it is not recommended to assign full control to SYSTEM under permissions. However, the default permissions for the Desktop folder are 'System', 'User of that particular account'
    and the 'Administrator'.

Refer the steps mentioned below to configure User permissions for Files and Folders.

1. Right click on the specific folder you wish to modify and select
      Properties.
    2. Click on Security tab to view all the names of the users or group along with their list of permissions.
    3. Click on Edit button.
    4. Choose the account for which you want to make any changes under the
      Group or user names segment.
    5. Allow and Deny are the two options available under
      Permissions for Authenticated Users.
    6. Give permissions for each operation by choosing the access or deny checkboxes.
    7. Click on Apply and OK.

Method 3

If you wish to return the system to using its default permissions, I would suggest you to create a new user account, transfer all the required data to the new account and check if it works for you. This is because creating
    the new user account will create that account with the default permissions.

Refer the article Create a local user or administrator account
    in Windows 10
    for the steps.

Note: You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10?

1. How can I reset all user permissions to default for Windows 10? - Similar Threads - reset user permissions

2. Resetting ALL permissions to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting ALL permissions to default: I have been silly and played with the security settings on my Windows 11 laptopIs there some way to return ALL to a new build status ?ie Default everything without carrying out a rebuildI am being blocked from using many programs such as Ancestry/FTM because I am unable to...
  3. Resetting ALL permissions to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resetting ALL permissions to default: I have been silly and played with the security settings on my Windows 11 laptopIs there some way to return ALL to a new build status ?ie Default everything without carrying out a rebuildI am being blocked from using many programs such as Ancestry/FTM because I am unable to...
  4. To Reset Default user permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  5. To Reset Default user permissions

To Reset Default user permissions: I want to reset all default permissions to my pc please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-reset-default-user-permissions/13ef7e2e-fad5-40f3-8b3c-f4beb09150f1
  6. How to reset all permissions to default?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset all permissions to default?: I couldn't find this anywhere and I really need help about this.Long story short, I thought RESTRICTED PACKAGES, ALL PACKAGES and TrustedInstaller were viruses so I removed their permissions from wherever I could but it turned out to be Windows 10's feature and the...
  7. How can I change default language for all users, not only for logged-in user?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change default language for all users, not only for logged-in user?: Hi,Looks like newer versions of Windows 10 have some kind of parsonalization on steroids, because even if I install new language and dusing installation SELECT "Set this langiage as my dafault system language"....this only sets language for LOGGED IN user.When new user is...
  8. Can I Reset Default View for All Folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I Reset Default View for All Folders?: Dumb question? I've been looking for the answer for over a year! I'd like all folders to open with "Medium Icons" by default. I'm still stuck changing the View to that setting every time I look into a folder I haven't used recently or have just created. Surely I'm missing...
  9. How to reset all user permissions for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset all user permissions for Windows 10?: I made a bad mistake and I removed both permissions for the SYSTEM and for administrators on my local disk c drive. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-all-user-permissions-for-windows-10/d9f13e98-348c-4046-8d42-8f58e573b3ef
  10. Is there a utility to reset all W10 permissions back to defaults?

Is there a utility to reset all W10 permissions back to defaults?: Hi all - Been testing some configurations of W10 by modifying Permissions, Groups, Owners, etc. Is there a safe utility to reset all of the above back to defaults, or should I just quickly reimage with a standard W10 install? Thanks in advance. *Nerd 148637

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to reset all user permissions to default