Windows 10: How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware?

Discus and support How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to have my Surface Pro 4 replaced due a faulty battery. I used the Windows 7 Backup & Restore to backup my computer to an external hard drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArpLaszlo, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ArpLaszlo Win User

How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware?

I had to have my Surface Pro 4 replaced due a faulty battery. I used the Windows 7 Backup & Restore to backup my computer to an external hard drive. When I went to the Microsoft Store, they exchanged it for a Surface Pro 5 with a better CPU instead! That was pretty cool - except now the Windows 7 Backup & Restore can't find the backup.

The external backup is connected to the SP5 and I can navigate all the files in it with Windows Explorer. The computer can see the external drive just fine - only the Windows 7 Backup & Restore cannot find it.

I thought maybe it was due to a different computer name, so I changed the SP5's computer name to match the SP4 (the name was simply … 'SP4'). No dice.

Is there any way to restore the Windows 7 backup to a new computer with different hardware? I at least mounted the disk image so I can copy my files but it would be nice to be able to copy the apps & settings.

:)

ArpLaszlo, Jul 12, 2019

2. Restoring a backup to a different computer

I think your reply answers my question. If I remember correctly, I think my backup has a system image, which can screw my previous installation. Now, I am thinking of doing this

• creating a backup of my work computer
    • restoring the backup of my previous computer
    • recovering files
    • restoring the backup of my work computer

parkerhaag, Jul 12, 2019
  3. Windows 7 backup

Haven't used it but sounds like it based on Backup and Restore Center info found here. Says you can choose what files and folders if you want and also mentions a system image. Quicken has it's own backup option under one of the menus, use that too. I have for my mom and it's a breeze. Just reinstall app and use Restore in Quicken.

Wrigleyvillain, Jul 12, 2019
  4. How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware?

Windows 7 Backup question

Hi, I have Windows 7 x64 HP. I've used the backup and restore feature to backup on an external drive, and I've also burned a copy of the restore software that it wished me to burn onto a CD. My question is, if ever my PC fails or something and I need to restore my files, will I need anything beyond the external drive and the backup CD? Or will I need the original OS CD as well? I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista but I don't have my Vista disc anymore (lost it a long time ago), which basically means the Windows 7 upgrade disc shouldn't work either (to be honest, I haven't touched the disc in nearly a year so I don't really know where the W7 update disc is either :/). Thanks.

runevirage, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware?

1. How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware? - Similar Threads - restore backup computer

2. Restore computer from a backup for a different computer on a different Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore computer from a backup for a different computer on a different Microsoft account: I have recently purchased a new computer as my old one had been a write-off, but this new computer has a different Microsoft account attached to it. I am able to access both accounts, however I am unable to access the first computer, and the second is currently in setup. How...
  3. Restore computer from a backup for a different computer on a different Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore computer from a backup for a different computer on a different Microsoft account: I have recently purchased a new computer as my old one had been a write-off, but this new computer has a different Microsoft account attached to it. I am able to access both accounts, however I am unable to access the first computer, and the second is currently in setup. How...
  4. Backup and restore Windows 7 with Windows 11 computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and restore Windows 7 with Windows 11 computer?: Can I use a Backup and restore Windows 7 image to restore to a different Windows 11 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7-with-windows-11/590ee18a-f394-476c-9dfb-310b1488d9c8
  5. Backup and restore Windows 7 with Windows 11 computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and restore Windows 7 with Windows 11 computer?: Can I use a Backup and restore Windows 7 image to restore to a different Windows 11 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7-with-windows-11/590ee18a-f394-476c-9dfb-310b1488d9c8
  6. Backup and Restore Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore Windows 7: Why does Control Panel Backup and Restore show Windows 7?. I have a desktop with Windows 11 and Microsoft. Am I going to have a problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore-windows-7/ffb8d8b9-02e6-40fa-9373-25dd94f803bb
  7. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  8. Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore: It is my understanding that the Windows 7 Backup and Restore is no longer supported, in Windows 10. It's a shame because this was a simple yet robust backup of a Windows 7 then Windows 10 system.Can anyone recommend a 3rd party app that will feature backups to an external...
  9. Windows 7 backup & restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 backup & restore: Why do you use Windows 7 for backup & restore? 7 seems so out of date and I'm having a problem with it reading the Flash drive in it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backup-restore/188f750b-188d-435d-af8f-159f500286db
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 7 backup restore different computer

2. windows 7 backup to different computer