Windows 10: How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware?

Discus and support How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to have my Surface Pro 4 replaced due a faulty battery. I used the Windows 7 Backup & Restore to backup my computer to an external hard drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArpLaszlo, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:18 PM.

1. ArpLaszlo Win User

How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware?

I had to have my Surface Pro 4 replaced due a faulty battery. I used the Windows 7 Backup & Restore to backup my computer to an external hard drive. When I went to the Microsoft Store, they exchanged it for a Surface Pro 5 with a better CPU instead! That was pretty cool - except now the Windows 7 Backup & Restore can't find the backup.

The external backup is connected to the SP5 and I can navigate all the files in it with Windows Explorer. The computer can see the external drive just fine - only the Windows 7 Backup & Restore cannot find it.

I thought maybe it was due to a different computer name, so I changed the SP5's computer name to match the SP4 (the name was simply … 'SP4'). No dice.

Is there any way to restore the Windows 7 backup to a new computer with different hardware? I at least mounted the disk image so I can copy my files but it would be nice to be able to copy the apps & settings.

:)

2. Restoring a backup to a different computer

I think your reply answers my question. If I remember correctly, I think my backup has a system image, which can screw my previous installation. Now, I am thinking of doing this

• creating a backup of my work computer
    • restoring the backup of my previous computer
    • recovering files
    • restoring the backup of my work computer

3. Windows 7 backup

Haven't used it but sounds like it based on Backup and Restore Center info found here. Says you can choose what files and folders if you want and also mentions a system image. Quicken has it's own backup option under one of the menus, use that too. I have for my mom and it's a breeze. Just reinstall app and use Restore in Quicken.

Wrigleyvillain, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:22 PM
  4. How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware?

Windows 7 Backup question

Hi, I have Windows 7 x64 HP. I've used the backup and restore feature to backup on an external drive, and I've also burned a copy of the restore software that it wished me to burn onto a CD. My question is, if ever my PC fails or something and I need to restore my files, will I need anything beyond the external drive and the backup CD? Or will I need the original OS CD as well? I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista but I don't have my Vista disc anymore (lost it a long time ago), which basically means the Windows 7 upgrade disc shouldn't work either (to be honest, I haven't touched the disc in nearly a year so I don't really know where the W7 update disc is either :/). Thanks.

Thema:

How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware?

1. How can I restore a Windows 7 backup to a computer with different hardware? - Similar Threads - restore backup computer

2. Restore using Windows 7 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore using Windows 7 Backup and Restore: How do i restore from a single drive computer to my new machine with a SSD and a large seperate data drive? The backup was made with Windows 7 backup and restore option....
  3. How can I restore windows 7 after installing Windows 10?

How can I restore windows 7 after installing Windows 10?: I tried "Settings" "Update & Security" "Recovery" But it says I cant because I updated more than 10 days ago. I can't find my Windows 7 install disk. Can I buy one? Or download the installation?...
  4. How can I restore computer to an earlier date?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I restore computer to an earlier date?: I want to restore my Windows 10 computer to an earlier date. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-restore-computer-to-an-earlier-date/f8b66930-154f-4433-83c4-c99778390365
  5. Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option: Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error 0x80070013 please advice thanks Cesar Mantilla...
  6. Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Demonstrate how I can backup files on my Computer: Fills for Backup on this computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/demonstrate-how-i-can-backup-files-on-my-computer/73689d31-2f7f-4d0e-b170-1c19398ac93b
  7. How Can I transfer Windows 7 to new computer

How Can I transfer Windows 7 to new computer: How Can I transfer Windows 7 to new computer from back up file on hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-can-i-transfer-windows-7-to-new-computer/97d8f664-620b-45b0-93a7-c7f3e489fac6
  8. Backup and Restore Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Windows 7?: I installed Windows 10 29Jul2105, and that day I created a System Image Backup on both computers. On Sunday , on the desktop of both computers, I found a folder named Windows 7, created 02Aug2015; I have no idea how thye were created. A short while ago, I opened Control...
  9. Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Questions

Backup and Restore (Windows 7) Questions: I created 2 disk images using Backup and Restore (Windows 7) I*renamed the first images folder*using the date. But, when I boot into the repair disc and choose select another image, I don't see the folder name. I'm not quit sure which one I would be restoring. Can...
  10. Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Backup and Restore (Windows 7): My PC originally came with XP (OEM). My upgrade procedure was to install an SSD and load 8.1 on that. When booting for the first time, I was surprised but pleased to see that I had the choice of 8.1 or XP. Subsequently, I opted to upgrade to Win 10 and that worked in the same...