Windows 10: How can I restore administrator priveleges to a standard user account

Discus and support How can I restore administrator priveleges to a standard user account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried installing a few different apps and I get a User Account message asking me if I want to make changes to my computer. All I see as an option is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by luv7102katz, Oct 15, 2018.

1. How can I restore administrator priveleges to a standard user account

I tried installing a few different apps and I get a User Account message asking me if I want to make changes to my computer. All I see as an option is 'NO.' The 'Yes' button is gone. I can't make any changes to my computer without that User Account message popping up. It also says that I have to log into the Administrator Account to make these changes. I used to have control as the owner of my computer. Now, they are gone! They seem to have changed when Microsoft did a Windows upgrade. How can I restore my Administrator Privledges with my User Name?

:)

luv7102katz, Oct 15, 2018

2. Standard user account created shows Administrator on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you logging in using a Microsoft account on any of the created two user accounts?
    • Have you created 2 local account with administrative privileges on the computer?

Please be informed that Local user account as well as
    Microsoft user account
    can be considered as Standard user account. A
    Standard user account is the user account which do not have any administrative privileges.

It is possible to create two or more accounts with administrative privileges on computers running with Windows 10 operating system.

If you want to convert one of the user account as a standard account, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Control panel in the search box and select the top most search result.
    • Select User Accounts and click on Change account type
      from the window.
    • Click on the user account and select Change the Account type option.
    • Select Standard and click on Change account type
      button from the window.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 15, 2018
  3. E-one Win User
    Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Hi all!

Suppose I'm the only user of the computer. Suppose I have User Account Control activated. Is there or are there still reasons to create and use standard user account for everyday work? As far as I understand, with User Account Control active I have the permissions of a standard user even if I'm logged on as an administrator. If I use administrator account for everyday work does User Account Control give me EXACTLY the same level of protection from viruses and malware and from making accidental system-wide changes as standard user account with active UAC? I don't imply that UAC protects me from viruses and malware. I use proper antivirus software for that.

In other words, do I get the same level of protection when I use administrator account with UAC enabled and when I use standard account with UAC enabled? Is it true that UAC turns an administrator account into what is know as a protected administrator account, basically, an administrator account that runs with standard user account privileges? Or does standard user account with UAC enabled gives me yet higher level of protection over administrator account with UAC enabled?

E-one, Oct 15, 2018
  4. Edgar Pan Win User

How can I restore administrator priveleges to a standard user account

changing standard account to administrative account

Hi Kiran,

These changes cannot be made with a standard account. Since you changed the administrator account to a standard one, you will not be able to make any changes that affect other users on the computer.

If there is another administrator account on the computer, we suggest to login using that account and change your account to administrative account.

Follow the steps below on how to change your standard account to administrative account:

1. On the desktop, press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.

2. Click on User Accounts in Large Icons View.

3. Click on Manage another account.

4. Click on the standard account.

5. Click on Change Account Type and select Administrator.

6. Click on Change Account Type button and restart the computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Edgar Pan, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

How can I restore administrator priveleges to a standard user account

1. How can I restore administrator priveleges to a standard user account - Similar Threads - restore administrator priveleges

2. how to delete an administrator account from a standard user account and turn a standard...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to delete an administrator account from a standard user account and turn a standard...: Hi, I created an extra user and made it an administrator and the old one a standard user. I am trying to login to the administrator account it said i should enter my Microsoft password i am pressing the password and it is not showing. i pressed it even though it didn't show...
  3. how to delete an administrator account from a standard user account and turn a standard...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to delete an administrator account from a standard user account and turn a standard...: Hi, I created an extra user and made it an administrator and the old one a standard user. I am trying to login to the administrator account it said i should enter my Microsoft password i am pressing the password and it is not showing. i pressed it even though it didn't show...
  4. how to delete an administrator account from a standard user account and turn a standard...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account: I am not able to convert a standard user account into an administrative account due to which I'm not able to make changes in apps etc. Please help....
  6. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account: I am not able to convert a standard user account into an administrative account due to which I'm not able to make changes in apps etc. Please help....
  7. Unable to convert standard user account into an administrator account

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Changing Standard user account to Administrator account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing Standard user account to Administrator account: Split from this thread. how do I change administrator on this ProBook s series. administrator passed away gave this laptop to me but cannot change from owner guest to administrator? ***Original title: How do I change administrator on this laptop?***...
  9. administrator privelege

administrator privelege: On Windows 10, my account says administrator but when I enter command mode and try to do something it says I need administrator privileges. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-privelege/22f582e6-683a-4152-a554-17e70817d4f9
  10. Changing a user account from standard to administration

Changing a user account from standard to administration: Yesterday as I was going through my laptop I happened to change my user account from administrator to standard and now i cant reverse it back to admin as it does not allow me to make the change. Please i really need help as i cannot install anything on my laptop....