Windows 10: How can I retrieve Bitlocker key?

Discus and support How can I retrieve Bitlocker key? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I’ve purchased a new laptop and logged in using my Microsoft account. Then I removed the Microsoft account. However the disk turned to be encrypted.... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Quintin Pye, Jul 6, 2020.

1. How can I retrieve Bitlocker key?

I’ve purchased a new laptop and logged in using my Microsoft account. Then I removed the Microsoft account. However the disk turned to be encrypted. The key was in the Microsoft account. Currently I cannot boot Windows because it requires BitLocker key. How can I get this Bitlocker key back?

:)

Quintin Pye, Jul 6, 2020

2. BitLocker key cannot unlock the disk. Neither can i reinstall cause the drive is blocked

Hi Havard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you try to unlock the drive using the Bitlocker application in Windows 10?
    • If yes, did you get any error message while trying that?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try unlocking the drive using the Bitlocker facility available in Windows 10 and check if you are able to unlock it successfully. If you are getting any error message with says “Application not found”, then I would suggest you
    to refer the article provided in the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Method 2:

I would suggest that you try the steps mentioned in the link below and check if it helps resolve your issue.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following link to view the article “How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows” from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

(Applies to Windows 10)

For more information regarding BitLocker, you may refer the article "BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" from this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Bitlocker recovery key - can I retrieve it if I'm not locked out?

I have a home PC, not on a domain. My bitlocker key was saved to a USB device that doesn't work anymore. The PC isn't locked out, and I have full access, so can I retrieve the bitlocker key?

The computer has nothing sensitive on it, so if I can't get the key, can I turn bitlocker off?

Many thanks for any help.

StephenLucek, Jul 6, 2020
  4. How can I retrieve Bitlocker key?

BitLocker recovery key

My computer is locked by BitLocker and the recovery key is not showing in the Microsoft account (the device is listed). How can I generate/retrieve the key (I don't have it stored anywhere)?

ChiragMittal, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

How can I retrieve Bitlocker key?

1. How can I retrieve Bitlocker key? - Similar Threads - retrieve Bitlocker key

2. Bitlocker key retrieval error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker key retrieval error: My drive is locked with bitlocker and when I go to my Microsoft account for the key, it flashes on the correct screen, but goes to an error screen before it loads. The error screen says "Something happened. Wait a bit then try again." It's been over 12 hours and i would...
  3. Bitlocker key retrieval error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker key retrieval error: My drive is locked with bitlocker and when I go to my Microsoft account for the key, it flashes on the correct screen, but goes to an error screen before it loads. The error screen says "Something happened. Wait a bit then try again." It's been over 12 hours and i would...
  4. Issue with BitLocker Recovery Key Retrieval

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with BitLocker Recovery Key Retrieval: Dear Microsoft Support Team,I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to seek assistance with an issue I'm experiencing regarding the retrieval of my BitLocker recovery key.I have tried several methods to retrieve my BitLocker recovery key, including visiting the...
  5. Issue with BitLocker Recovery Key Retrieval

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with BitLocker Recovery Key Retrieval: Dear Microsoft Support Team,I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to seek assistance with an issue I'm experiencing regarding the retrieval of my BitLocker recovery key.I have tried several methods to retrieve my BitLocker recovery key, including visiting the...
  6. Bitlocker recovery key retrieval - Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key retrieval - Help!: My Dell G3 series laptop got ruined as it got coffee all over it but thankfully my hard drive is readable still. I cannot afford to lose that data, its my 3 years of work. Whenever my hard disk is detected, it is asking me for a 48-bit bitlocker key which I never remember...
  7. How to retrieve BitLocker recovery key with a key ID

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to retrieve BitLocker recovery key with a key ID: I am not the original owner of my surface book and am trying to retrieve my BitLocker recovery key. The BitLocker recovery key is not on my Microsoft account nor is it on the account of the person I got the laptop from. I have a recovery ID for aka.ms/aadrecoverkey but that...
  8. BitLocker Key retrieval issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    BitLocker Key retrieval issue: The motherboard of my laptop was changed due to webcam issue. When i tried to boot the system, it is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key, which i dont have. When I logged into Microsoft account, it says that the key is not stored. Kindly help me in recovering the key given...
  9. Incorrect BitLocker Recovery Key - how to retrieve it?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Incorrect BitLocker Recovery Key - how to retrieve it?: Hi All, OK, so I have a colleague who wanted to borrow a laptop to do some testing which I provided. After 30 odd minutes later he has said that he had to reimage the laptop and the machine was prompted him to enter in a recovery key. I provided him with a BitLocker...
  10. Unable to retrieve the Bitlocker recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to retrieve the Bitlocker recovery Key: Hi, I have a thinkpad x270 installed with Windows 10 Pro. A few days ago when I was trying to log into the system, the system didn't start correctly and always stuck at the Boot Menu. I brought it to a repair shop to get my documents on the hard drives out, and the people...