Windows 10: How can I safely unmount a storage space?

Discus and support How can I safely unmount a storage space? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm experimenting with Windows Storage Spaces. I've created a storage space out of 2 USB connected HDs and created a mirror on them. I'm trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hsehestedt, Nov 1, 2018.

1. How can I safely unmount a storage space?

I'm experimenting with Windows Storage Spaces. I've created a storage space out of 2 USB connected HDs and created a mirror on them. I'm trying to determine if there is any safe way at all of unmounting the storage space so that I can disconnect these USB attached drives. Other than a complete shutdown of the system, nothing seems to work. Even if I offline the storage space and then disconnect the drives, the next time I connect the drives and bring the storage space online it will act as thougfh one of the drives has failed requiring a complete rebuild of the mirror.
    Since removable drives are supported, surely there must be some safe way to dismount these drives. Anyone know how?

:)

hsehestedt, Nov 1, 2018

2. Windows 10 shutdown doesn't unmount despite......

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• How exactly you are trying to unmount the drive. Is it through Command prompt or from Disk management?

• What exactly happens when you try to unmount?

• Did you receive any error message while trying to unmount?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Please close all the Windows before trying the steps.

• Open Disk management.

• Right-click the mounted drive that you want to remove, and then click
      Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• Click Remove, and then click Yes.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 1, 2018
  3. I have an HP Stream Laptop and I keep running out of storage space

Hi Jay,

If a category can't show the folders that it contains, there is a possibility that the folders are somehow hidden. To maximize your PC's storage, follow the suggested steps in these links:

If further help is needed, let us know.

Darleen Pen, Nov 1, 2018
  4. How can I safely unmount a storage space?

Storage Space

Surface Pro 3 storage space is low. Storage settings say that Apps and Games is using 17.5 GB but when I add up the space from the list of apps it is only 5.7 GB. What is taking up up the other ~12 GB and how do I free up space?

renataAtkinson1, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

How can I safely unmount a storage space?

1. How can I safely unmount a storage space? - Similar Threads - safely unmount storage

2. How can I free up storage space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I free up storage space?: Hi, I am trying to free up some storage space, and when I view the properties of my users folder it says (after counting all the files for some seconds) that the size on disk is 202GB. When I go into the folder, adding up the size of each folder within the users folder gives...
  3. Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Space: I have 119 GB of storage space on C Drive. The Storage tab on Settings tells me I have used 67 GB of that, yet when I add everything up it only comes to 24 GB. What is hiding on that missing 43GB?...
  4. How can I increase the amount of storage in my storage space?

How can I increase the amount of storage in my storage space?: I originally allocated 1TB of storage from my 2TB hard drive. Now I want to increase it but it seems like the change option is missing. How do I resolve this issue? *I included a screenshot[IMG]...
  5. I can not create a storage space with C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can not create a storage space with C: drive ?: Hi I was thinking to create a pool of two SSD for performance but when I try I get all my drives except the C: drive so I can not make a pool with the C: drive ? [img] 147383
  6. Storage space

Storage space: I've been trying to install the newest update. However, it says I need more disk space. I've looked online and on the Microsoft website and deleted everything I can. There's nothing in downloads, temporary files, pictures, videos or anything that isn't needed for it to run...
  7. storage space

storage space: hi, I have a problem when I try to install an app in says storage full clear up some space. the problem is I don't want to delete any thing. so is there's a way to increase my storage play without deleting any thing ?...
  8. Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces: I have a 4-bay enclosure of 8TB drives (32TB total) set to parity using Storage spaces. I would suspect I would be able to get about 2/3 (66%) capacity or about 21TB after allowing for parity. However it's telling me that the total capacity is only 14TB. How does that make...
  9. Storage Space

Storage Space: [ATTACH]This may seem like a silly question but can someone please tell me if something is going here that needs any action? I am getting a notification that my laptop that’s linked with my microsoft account needs my attention. When I follow through with where it leads me...
  10. how do i creat storage space

how do i creat storage space: I not very good withcomputer it keeps tellingme I am low on storage space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-creat-storage-space/4cf6cc07-b0bd-4f85-8f2d-009009577a28"