Windows 10: How can I see dates of previous modifications of files, not just the most recent?

Discus and support How can I see dates of previous modifications of files, not just the most recent? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to find dates of previous versions of a certain document .txt, used with notepad to see the times I have edited it. I don't want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AstronomicalAndi, Mar 13, 2020.

1. How can I see dates of previous modifications of files, not just the most recent?

Hello, I am trying to find dates of previous versions of a certain document .txt, used with notepad to see the times I have edited it. I don't want to see the last modification of that document, but a time in the past. I mean like a list of dates. Something like a changelog or something? Like it shows a list kind of like "Modified on 1/2/2020" and then the next is "2/5/2020" or something like that. I tried searching for dates by doing "modified:" but it only shows the last date it was modified. Is there a way to see other previous dates?

:)

AstronomicalAndi, Mar 13, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Mar 13, 2020
  3. WernerGg Win User
    Wrong file modification dates/times

Thanks Brian for your interest in that issue with file dates. I wonder why this is not heavily discussed in the community.

At least we agree for the backup case. If a sync program is similar to a backup program or not is a philosophic question which I would like to avoid. But I think at the end a synchronization should lead to a "similar" state in both synchronized data sets.
    And for me the modification date of a file is an essential information that is part of a files identity. Hence a synchronization should not change it. This is philosophy again. You certainly know these OO discussions about "identity" of objects.

But leave aside all philosophy. At the end ActiveSync produces the current date as file (modify-) date for all (!) files on the mobiles My Documents, even those that have not been changed since months or years. And this is certainly not a desirable behaviour.

One reason for that is ActiveSyncs Copy behaviour. An other seems to be its handling of archive bits. I will write on this in a later article.

I do not agree to that. And Microsoft doesn't either as I will show.

I agree to that. But this is another question and not relevant for file synchronization. I did not carefully examine how ActiveSync handles directory dates. The file case causes work enough for me.

How do Windows Mobile and Windows PC handle file dates during copy operations? I made experiments for creation date and modification date. I left aside last-access dates. They seem not being really supported on Windows Mobile and they are not really interesting
    for the user. The creation date is normally not very important as well. What the user needs all day is the modification date. Often this is just named "file date" as a synonym.

----------------------

The following is done completely on a standalone mobile device with WM6.1 not attached to the PC. No ActiveSync interaction.

Say you have a file in Directory A.

Created at 07:32, last edited at 08:25.

==> in DirA:

Create Time: 07:32

Modify Time: 08:25

1) At 08:30 copy it for the first time to Directory B. It did not exist in DirB.

==> in DirB:

+++ Both times are unchanged by copy which is reasonable.

+++ But I would agree if both times were 08:30

2) At 08:44 edit the file in DirB

==> in DirB:

Modify Time: 08:44

+++ The file gets the new modified time

3) At 08:47 copy it back to DirA. Confirm to overwrite the file.

==> in DirA:

Modify Time: 08:44

+++ The create time is not changed from its former value in DirA. As a result of Step 1) this is equal to the create time in DirB.

+++ The modify time is unchanged (!) which is reasonable.

... and so on

If you do the same on a PC with Windows XP you will see:

Windows on the PC shows exactly the same behaviour concerning the modification date.

But - strange enough - it is different concerning the creation date during first copy.

After Step 1) when you first copy a file the target file will have:

==> in DirB:

Create Time: 08:30

+++ The modify time is unchanged by copy which is reasonable.

+++ The create time is changed to time of copy.

??? This is a bit strange, because the file was now modified before (!) being created.

+++ But why not?

Steps 2) and 3) behave equal as on the mobile.

The file in DirA keeps its original create date and inherits the modify date from the copy source in DirB.

----------------------

To summarize:

+++ COPY operations do not change modification dates.

At least on Windows operating systems. Which is a reasonable behaviour.

??? Initial COPY operations (target does not exist) do change the creation date on Windows, but not on Windows Mobile. Which is a strange idea of the Microsoft programmers/designers.

+++ Later COPY operations (target does already exist) do not change the creation or modification dates.

At least on Windows operating systems. Which is a reasonable behaviour.

--- ActiveSync however always changes the modification date to the current date during each copy caused by a synchronization.

Which I consider an ActiveSync bug or design defect respectively.

Werner Geiger, IT-Architect

WernerGg, Mar 13, 2020
  4. How can I see dates of previous modifications of files, not just the most recent?

eidairaman1, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

How can I see dates of previous modifications of files, not just the most recent?

1. How can I see dates of previous modifications of files, not just the most recent? - Similar Threads - dates previous modifications

2. Windows updater is not seeing the most recent updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updater is not seeing the most recent updates: I have been battling to update my computer for a long time, and now it won't even try. Recently, we tried using selective start from System Configuration where we disabled all non-microsoft services. After that, and even after turning them back on, the windows updater will...
  3. Windows updater is not seeing the most recent updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updater is not seeing the most recent updates: I have been battling to update my computer for a long time, and now it won't even try. Recently, we tried using selective start from System Configuration where we disabled all non-microsoft services. After that, and even after turning them back on, the windows updater will...
  4. Windows updater is not seeing the most recent updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How can I see my original creation date?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I see my original creation date?: I bought a new computer in May 2020.I copied all my files to this computer, so in the Windows File Explorer, the creation date of all the old documents are May 2020, even though all the document are from before that time.I know I can see in Word what the original date of...
  6. How can I see my original creation date?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I see my original creation date?: I bought a new computer in May 2020.I copied all my files to this computer, so in the Windows File Explorer, the creation date of all the old documents are May 2020, even though all the document are from before that time.I know I can see in Word what the original date of...
  7. How To See the Most Recent Updates Windows 10 Installed?

in Windows 10 News
    How To See the Most Recent Updates Windows 10 Installed?: With the number of updates by Microsoft, it's often difficult to keep track of when these updates were installed. We're here to help you figure this out. We will discuss two simple ways to see when Microsoft installed new updates. Quickest way to see the most recent Windows...
  8. How can I restore to a previous date?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I restore to a previous date?: How can I restore to a previous date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-restore-to-a-previous-date/8d67b698-614c-410f-a827-64200e0f427f
  9. Folders and files modification date not updating in Widows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and files modification date not updating in Widows Explorer: As a long-time user of Windows OS in all its iterations, what I'm going to ask y'all has me totally stumped. I've looked on-line for solutions but have not found anything definitive. I apologize if anything like what I'm going to describe has been asked/answered; I only...
  10. OneDrive file modification dates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive file modification dates: When I modify a file in my desktop OneDrive folder, and upload it to my mobile OneDrive folder, the date does not match the modified date from my desktop. It could have a date that's months old. This creates doubt whether the mobile file has all the current changes, so if I...