Windows 10: How can I select a specific column file names of text from the notepad content to copy over...

Discus and support How can I select a specific column file names of text from the notepad content to copy over... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have been able to get a file listing in text form that was placed in notepad. There are several columns e.g. size, date, file name, etc. Want to just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephCummings, Mar 26, 2021.

1. How can I select a specific column file names of text from the notepad content to copy over...

Have been able to get a file listing in text form that was placed in notepad. There are several columns e.g. size, date, file name, etc. Want to just copy the file names over to word.

:)

JosephCummings, Mar 26, 2021

2. Notepad showing gibberish for specific file content only!

To verify that this is strictly a notepad bug, you can open a new empty notepad, open this file in wordpad where it is readable, copy-paste all contents to your empty notepad and save as ANSI. When you reopen with notepad, it will show gibberish! So it seems
    that notepad will read the specific content and try to open it as UTF8. If you change a single character, or even omit a space, the file is read properly in notepad!

Kostas Manios, Mar 26, 2021
  3. Wordpad ? Notepad ++ ? Why like this ?

Turn word wrap off in Notepad and it works fine for script editing. Turn word wrap on and it works fine for text editing. Yes, it is very simple software so it isn't really suitible for complex file operations (find/replace, column select, binary files etc.) but it works great for batch files or touching up some source code.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 26, 2021
  4. How can I select a specific column file names of text from the notepad content to copy over...

Notepad showing gibberish for specific file content only!

Hello,

I am experiencing a very weird notepad issue... I have an application that generates tabular data in text files and all files normally look OK in Notepad. However, one file seems to show Chinese characters, as if it was encoded in UTF-8-bom, which is not
    the case!

Note that if I open the file in other editors (e.g. excel, notepad++) everything looks fine.

To make things even weirder, if I open the file in notepad++ and change the content by a single character (e.g. add a space somewhere), it is then readable in notepad! But if I delete that character and save again, it becomes again not readable...

It seems that notepad is somehow assessing the wrong encoding, based on some random evaluation of the content, or MD5 hash or something! Is this even possible?

I am at a complete loss here.

Kostas

PS1: I tried opening the file in different computers with different OS (win7/win10) and the problem exists everywhere.

PS2: I'd be happy to attach the text file, but not sure where to do this.

Kostas Manios, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

How can I select a specific column file names of text from the notepad content to copy over...

1. How can I select a specific column file names of text from the notepad content to copy over... - Similar Threads - select specific column

2. How can I make a specific shortcut to open text file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I make a specific shortcut to open text file: Hello there, I've been looking quite a little bit for a way to set a keyboard shortcut to open a specific file on my machine , couldn't find any helpful explanation on Google/YouTube ....
  3. How can I make a specific shortcut to open text file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I make a specific shortcut to open text file: Hello there, I've been looking quite a little bit for a way to set a keyboard shortcut to open a specific file on my machine , couldn't find any helpful explanation on Google/YouTube ....
  4. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files: HiI want to rename all files on a folder with the file names from the different folder. like I have some files in "folder 1" with all deferent names. I want to rename files in "folder 2" with same names as in "folder 1"It's like copying names from one folder to anotherPlz...
  5. How can I select specific files by name in a folder ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I select specific files by name in a folder ?: Okay thanks in advance of this . I have a list of lets say 10 file names. They are in a text file. I want to search a folder that has those file names, highlight and then i guess, reverse the highlight to all other files in that folder, so i can delete the other files,...
  6. Copy Contents of Multiple Text Files to Clipboard

Copy Contents of Multiple Text Files to Clipboard: Does anyone know how to modify the tutorial "Copy Contents to Clipboard" through some sort of command or bat file to copy the contents of multiple text files at once to the clipboard, each file separated by lines/space or something? Add Copy Contents to Clipboard to Context...
  7. How to allow text file read by specific application only such as notepad?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to allow text file read by specific application only such as notepad?: How to allow text file read by specific application only such as notepad? Or other file read by specific application , other program can not read?...
  8. Copy folder or file names as a text file

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy folder or file names as a text file: Hi i have an extension called copy file names but doesn’t work very well, mucks up the order.... if i I use the windows option it works but I get more info than I need, I simply want the file name... are there switches Cher’s I can use to achieve this ..? thanks 135675
  9. automatically copy selected text

in Windows 10 Customization
    automatically copy selected text: Hello, I'm wondering if there is a way to automatically copy text selected with the mouse. This works on PowerShell but I would like to use it system wide. This is the way the mouse works in X-windows. Maybe there is a way to script this behavior?...
  10. How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name

How do I check if there is different text on notepad files same name: Hey guys, Anybody know any notepad application where I can check what is changed on same notepad files with same name but different sizes. Regards. 106726