Windows 10: How can I select specific files by name in a folder ?

Discus and support How can I select specific files by name in a folder ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay thanks in advance of this . I have a list of lets say 10 file names. They are in a text file. I want to search a folder that has those file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OtherWay1982, Dec 12, 2020.

1. How can I select specific files by name in a folder ?

Okay thanks in advance of this .
    I have a list of lets say 10 file names.
    They are in a text file.

I want to search a folder that has those file names, highlight and then i guess, reverse the highlight to all other files in that folder, so i can delete the other files, but preserve the names in this list i have.

Not sure how would i go about this. Or just at least, highlight cut these files ; by this name list, so i can paste
    separate them into a different folder ; and delete all remaining files in the folder they were at. i know a bit wordy. im tried : ).

i have a software called Everything , by voidtools. im unsure if it can search muti names at once. then i could sort by path, and just cut and paste them .

:)

OtherWay1982, Dec 12, 2020

2. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

Carlos: Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have been doing. I search for folders with a specific name and get a list. Then I have to search each folder for a specific file. So it's a two step search and that's what I was trying to avoid.

I assume there are applications out there that allow for an "AND" search in Windows. I'll try that approach.

Thanks, again.

MarkMcDonough45, Dec 12, 2020
  3. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

In the Search bar in Explorer:

Code:
    [b]FolderName:Business Name:Assets[/b]

[url='https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/cde684ee-b2bb-4398-93c2-4ae8a5b3c7c1?upload=true']
    [ATTACH=full]131014[/ATTACH]
    [/url]
    Keith

Keith A. Miller, Dec 12, 2020
  4. White Win User

How can I select specific files by name in a folder ?

List file names than a folder.

Is there a bat file to generate the list of file names that I have inside a folder?
    If possible you can help me to do it or give me suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Please.

White, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

How can I select specific files by name in a folder ?

1. How can I select specific files by name in a folder ? - Similar Threads - select specific files

2. How to Remove a Specific Part of a file Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove a Specific Part of a file Name: I have a few music .mp3 that all have a different but singularised phrase within the parameters "[ ]" How would i be able to remove this from multiple different files. Labelled in the Picture Below...
  3. How to Remove a Specific Part of a file Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove a Specific Part of a file Name: I have a few music .mp3 that all have a different but singularised phrase within the parameters "[ ]" How would i be able to remove this from multiple different files. Labelled in the Picture Below...
  4. How do I change a user folder to a specific name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change a user folder to a specific name?: Hello. I'm in the process of building a PC and trying to get all the user settings to sync with my laptop using OneDrive. Things have been working fine and I created folders in OneDrive that seem to make it work - for example, Google Chrome. However, once I switched over to...
  5. How do I change a user folder to a specific name?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I change a user folder to a specific name?: Hello. I'm in the process of building a PC and trying to get all the user settings to sync with my laptop using OneDrive. Things have been working fine and I created folders in OneDrive that seem to make it work - for example, Google Chrome. However, once I switched over to...
  6. How do I change a user folder to a specific name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How can I select a specific column file names of text from the notepad content to copy over...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I select a specific column file names of text from the notepad content to copy over...: Have been able to get a file listing in text form that was placed in notepad. There are several columns e.g. size, date, file name, etc. Want to just copy the file names over to word....
  8. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name: Hi. I can easily search for folders with a name like "Business". But then I want to find any files in just those folders named "Assets". Can I either make a search using something like AND or can I search for files just within the folders I searched for to begin with. In...
  9. How can i change folders name to extension names?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can i change folders name to extension names?: So i have a folder with over 300 files which have the wrong names but in each folder there are .mod files which are the correct names, changing them 1 by 1 takes way too long, so is there a way to rename them to the correct name in a bulk? submitted by /u/MK_Madness...
  10. How Do I select multiple files in a folder from a list of file names

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I select multiple files in a folder from a list of file names: HI, I have a folder containing 9,987 .jpg's of which I need to copy about 500 of to a different folder. I have the file names in a .txt file on separate lines as well as in a .csv worksheet. I don't want to find them individually to select/copy them. Also, I'm only a little...