Windows 10: How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external...

Discus and support How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I sit down at my desk, I connect my laptop to an external monitor. I close the lid sometimes to use an external Mouse and Keyboard while i stow my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JamaalBurah, Jul 8, 2020.

1. How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external...

When I sit down at my desk, I connect my laptop to an external monitor. I close the lid sometimes to use an external Mouse and Keyboard while i stow my laptop under my monitor. However, if my external monitor wasn't connected, Id like the laptop to fall asleep. This feature was available on my Chromebook, and I've heard it was available on older versions of windows, Linux, and Mac OS. Anyway I can activate this feature on Windows 10?

TL;DR

Is this possible on Windows 10?

With external display connected - Closing the lid WON'T put the laptop into sleep mode.

Without external display connected - Closing the lid WILL put the laptop into sleep mode.

:)

JamaalBurah, Jul 8, 2020

2. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Jul 8, 2020
  3. susi62 Win User
    Windows 10 external monitor with lid closed but only when connected

Hey there

I am using my Win 10 laptop either as a standalone laptop or in a desktop setup with an external monitor attached and my lid closed. What I want is that in my desktop environment, the computer doen't go to sleep when I close the lid (I know how to do that
    in the energy settings) and when I use my laptop without an external monitor attached, then it should go to sleep when I close the lid.

How can I condition the energy behaviour on whether an external display is attached?

Thx for the help

susi62, Jul 8, 2020
  4. How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external...

Sleep mode when lid is closed

When I close the lid of my Lenovo laptop with Windows 7, the computer doesn NOT go to sleep. The settings in Control Panel are correct: When I Close The Lid I have put SLEEP for battery and plugged in mode. How can I get it to go back to working normally
    and putting my laptop to sleep mode when I close the lid? I already had Windows 7 re-installed, but the problem is still there. Thank you How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external... :)

louisalouisa, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external...

1. How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external... - Similar Threads - set laptop sleep

2. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  3. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  4. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  6. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  7. How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set sleep mode when closing the lid and connected to external displays?: Hello all, I have a question. It's normal usage but i am still not able to find the right way to do that. I want some configuration like : - If external display is connected either display port or HDMI, when lid is closed -> DONT go to sleep mode - If no external display...
  8. Sleep when I close the lid and its plugged in but not connected to external monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sleep when I close the lid and its plugged in but not connected to external monitor: [ATTACH] I want the laptop to sleep when plugged in and I close the lid .. but not when there is an external monitor attached. Is there any way to achieve that? Right now I do not see the external monitor feature in the power settings....
  9. Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.: [ATTACH] Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. My school issued laptop will not go to sleep when i close the "lid". It will only sleep if I click the start button and select sleep, which is fine, however; sometimes I just close it up out of habit, and when I come back...
  10. My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop continues to sleep when lid is closed.: I changed the options to 'Do Nothing' when I close the lid, yet it still sleeps when I do it. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-continues-to-sleep-when-lid-is-closed/c52cc16f-5f88-4d6d-b3d9-5b0e6014e9a4