Windows 10: How can I set the view options for a Library - AND SAVE THEM?

Discus and support How can I set the view options for a Library - AND SAVE THEM? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I'm not in a library, I can set my view options (such as which columns to display, Details vs Tiles view, etc) and then go to Options > View tab >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Boko21, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Boko21 Win User

How can I set the view options for a Library - AND SAVE THEM?

If I'm not in a library, I can set my view options (such as which columns to display, Details vs Tiles view, etc) and then go to Options > View tab > Apply to Folders. However, when I'm using a Library, all these settings are ignored and the awful defaults are used. I can set the view options I want temporarily, but I can't save them to apply to the Library, and as soon as I close the folder they are lost.

Is there a way to set the view options I want and save them for a Library? (Note that I do not want to just use the "Optimize this Library for" dropdown tab. This simply sets the default settings which are poorly configured - I need to be able to save my own settings).

Or is there a way to make the Library just respect the settings I've already set for each folder, as it would show them if I was looking at that folder normally (not through a Library)? Without this functionality, Libraries are significantly less useful.

:)

Boko21, Apr 14, 2019
  2. thegummy Win User

Libraries No Longer Displays Folder's View Setting

Since the latest update, viewing a folder from within a library shows the view setting (list, details, tiles etc.) that the library has set rather than the view set for that actual folder.

Before the update, it would show the way the folder itself was set up therefore I could use the "Apply view to all folders" function and set every folder to list. Now, each folder does remember its view setting from within the library but I can't find a way to set it for them all, I'd have to go in to each folder individually and set the view to list.

Is there a new way around this or is it a bug from the new update?

Edit: It doesn't even remember each folder's settings so I can't find any way at all of using the library with list view other than changing it each time I look in the folder.

thegummy, Apr 14, 2019
  3. thegummy Win User
    Libraries No Longer Displays Folder's View Setting

It works when viewing an individual folder but it doesn't work for libraries.

thegummy, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Zardoc Win User

Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

So, as suggested by Brink, I started a new thread for this issue.

Brink you stated ''Just to note, that folders in a library share the same folder view as it was when last closed. This isn't the same as the folders in "This PC".

Yes, this is (supposed to be) true How can I set the view options for a Library - AND SAVE THEM? :).

Up to Windows 8.1 when you chose a view to folders in a specific library this view would apply to all sub folders of that library and stay if closed and re opened. This would work by individual library. *sarc

How can I set the view options for a Library - AND SAVE THEM? [​IMG]

So, I chose my view, closed the library, re opened and looked at a sub file. Here is the result.

How can I set the view options for a Library - AND SAVE THEM? [​IMG]

As you can see, the setting does not apply to the sub folders of that library. It will apply to all the main folders only. Each sub folder has to be set individually in view settings. This makes no sense and is really not practical. *Sad

Like I said, this is a step back from earlier versions of Windows. I've looked everywhere for a fix but I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help.

Zardoc, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

1. How can I set the view options for a Library - AND SAVE THEM? - Similar Threads - set view options

2. How can I set global WinExplorer view?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I set global WinExplorer view?: How can I set global WinExplorer view? In Windows Explorer I only use the Details view with small icons, no pictures, blah, blah. Oh, and don't like the media columns that pop up when I dump audio files in an empty folder, etc. So far I haven't found a way to make ALL...
  3. Folders View Settings Are Not Saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders View Settings Are Not Saving: Recently I've noticed a strange behaviour when I tried to unhide protected operating system files. I unticked the corresponding check box and I received the warning, but when I pressed the OK button, nothing happened. When I opened the view settings again the check box was...
  4. Library View Options in Win 10 - How to "un-Group"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Library View Options in Win 10 - How to "un-Group"?: Win 10 Library View question: To my Documents library which already has my user Documents folder I added the 'Documents' folder of the Public User and the Documents folder in OneDrive. When I open the Documents library, I see folders and files grouped by those three...
  5. Viewing Saved Passwords in Settings

Viewing Saved Passwords in Settings: How do I view settings when I don't remember my Windows password or PIN? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viewing-saved-passwords-in-settings/2c45f2e2-5e3e-49a2-a7a9-55cfef82af4f
  6. File explorer save options view

File explorer save options view: I just got upgraded to the new File Explorer. I am a photographer and a collector of images. I have hundreds of folders and subfolders. I know exactly where they are because they are listed alphabetically. Now with this File Explorer upgrade they are listed by date. I've...
  7. how can i save settings for paint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i save settings for paint: it is so tiring opening every photo and having to change again colors and type and colors 1 and 2 don't know what the useful of them anyway how can we depend on that app it lacks many many features...
  8. How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?: On windows 1809, with sfc.scannow giving no error, I run Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default(1).bat in order to reset everything then I run All_Folders_Use_Documents_Folder_Template(1).bat in order to make all folder views as document then I create my custom...
  9. What is the role of Libraries in explorer and how to set them

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the role of Libraries in explorer and how to set them: I noticed that the Videos library points to an other computer in my home network. it's O.K but how did it get there. And, the RealPlayer downloader saves videos to that directory, so how can i change either of them 111819
  10. Libraries No Longer Displays Folder's View Setting

in Windows 10 Support
    Libraries No Longer Displays Folder's View Setting: Since the latest update, viewing a folder from within a library shows the view setting (list, details, tiles etc.) that the library has set rather than the view set for that actual folder. Before the update, it would show the way the folder itself was set up therefore I...