Windows 10: How can I stop Edge from opening when I press F1 on my desktop?

Discus and support How can I stop Edge from opening when I press F1 on my desktop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This is very annoying - my default browser is set to Chrome and pressing F1 while being outside of Chrome opens Edge with a Microsoft help page. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/b_fnk, Jun 8, 2020.

1. /u/b_fnk Win User

How can I stop Edge from opening when I press F1 on my desktop?

This is very annoying - my default browser is set to Chrome and pressing F1 while being outside of Chrome opens Edge with a Microsoft help page. I don't want this browser to open even after I've set Chrome as default. It seems broken.

Is there any "fix" to this "feature"? (Without disabling the F1 key completely)

submitted by /u/b_fnk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/b_fnk, Jun 8, 2020
  2. JimWynne Win User

pressing f1 opens a web browser.

What are you expecting F1 to do? With Chrome open, pressing F1 brings up the Chrome help page. The script you tried is outdated and designed to prevent F1 from opening Windows help, which doesn't happen anymore.

JimWynne, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Press F1 to continue!

Okay, this is what is on the "Press-F1 screen":

Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
    Copyright (C) 1984-2003, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

K8M800-M7 A (K8M8M111 BS)

Main Processor : AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 3200+
    Memory Testing : 1047552K OK + 1M TSeg memory

IDE Channel 0 Master : DVDRW 16X16X YTS1
    IDE Channel 0 Slave : None
    IDE Channel 1 Master : None
    IDE Channel 1 Slave : WDE WD2500BB-55GUC0 08.02D08

IDE Channel 2 Master : None
    ***Floppy disk(s) fail (40)one***

Press F8 to Enable System Configuration
    Press F9 to Select Booting Device after POST
    Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP
    01/11/2007-K8M800-8237-6A7L1B0SC-00

I'm going to try some of the things that you guys suggested now.

Well, I figured out what was wrong. It took all of about 2min. of investigation, LOLz. I just never took the time to try to figure it out because it really didn't bother me to press F1.

Thanks for the help guys!

Franklinwallbrown, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Meizuman Win User

Do Not Press F1 If Requested To Do So By A Website.

Pressed F1, opened Opera Help (from their site) in a new tab *Wink How can I stop Edge from opening when I press F1 on my desktop? ;)

Meizuman, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I stop Edge from opening when I press F1 on my desktop? - Similar Threads - stop Edge opening

2. How can I display the ribbon on word? I have pressed CTR+F1 I have pressed CTR+fn+f1 and it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I display the ribbon on word? I have pressed CTR+F1 I have pressed CTR+fn+f1 and it...: How can I display the ribbon on word? I have pressed CTR+F1 I have pressed CTR+fn+f1 and it will not display https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-display-the-ribbon-on-word-i-have/3742fe4b-0b71-476e-9e38-073f6df8a36d
  3. How can I display the ribbon on word? I have pressed CTR+F1 I have pressed CTR+fn+f1 and it...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I display the ribbon on word? I have pressed CTR+F1 I have pressed CTR+fn+f1 and it...: How can I display the ribbon on word? I have pressed CTR+F1 I have pressed CTR+fn+f1 and it will not display https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-display-the-ribbon-on-word-i-have/3742fe4b-0b71-476e-9e38-073f6df8a36d
  4. How can I display the ribbon on word? I have pressed CTR+F1 I have pressed CTR+fn+f1 and it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How is it possible to stop Edge from opening when I start my computer

How is it possible to stop Edge from opening when I start my computer: Hello,How is it possible to stop Edge from starting and opening a window every time I start my computer please?Some people talk about Task Manager or the startup folder, but Edge is absent from there. Thanks,Note : in the first version of this post I talked about Bing, but I...
  6. How do I stop Edge from opening ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop Edge from opening ?: Edge browser opens at boot up or even when I wake my PC from sleep. I can’t figure out how to stop this. Any ideas? submitted by /u/Collierfiber2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/khsyd7/how_do_i_stop_edge_from_opening/
  7. my F1 Button Opens Microsoft Edge. How Do I Disable This?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    my F1 Button Opens Microsoft Edge. How Do I Disable This?: its extremely annoying. Ill press it in the middle of a game and it opens edge, taking me out of the game and into edge. I despise this and press it by mistake a lot. Please tell me there's a way to disable this! submitted by /u/LehBigBoi [link] [comments]...
  8. Pressing F1 opens Microsoft Edge how can I change that to Brave Broswer?

Pressing F1 opens Microsoft Edge how can I change that to Brave Broswer?: Not sure where to put this I'm looking to get help on the help function, specifically how to change the browser it uses. How can I change the browser used for the Help function? I want to use Brave Browser as it has built in ad-blocking & sends "do not track" requests when...
  9. pressing f1 opens a web browser.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pressing f1 opens a web browser.: Hello Community, Whenever i press f1 , it opens a new tab in the chrome browser. I have googled for a solution, but none of those worked. i will explain what i tried: So i read on the internet to change the file name called HelpPane.exe and it should block everything. (...
  10. pressing f1 opens a web browser.

pressing f1 opens a web browser.: Hello Community, Whenever i press f1 , it opens a new tab in the chrome browser. I have googled for a solution, but none of those worked. i will explain what i tried: So i read on the internet to change the file name called HelpPane.exe and it should block everything. (...