Windows 10: How can I stop having Windows 10 ask me if I still want to use a default program?

Discus and support How can I stop having Windows 10 ask me if I still want to use a default program? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I accidentally clicked on the Help question mark in an explorer window, which brought up the help page in Edge. Now, not wanting anything to do with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by hunterdust, Apr 22, 2019.

1. How can I stop having Windows 10 ask me if I still want to use a default program?

I accidentally clicked on the Help question mark in an explorer window, which brought up the help page in Edge. Now, not wanting anything to do with Edge, I checked to see if there was a way to change that, since Edge sure as hell isn't my default browser. Of course, I found that it doesn't seem to be fixed.

However, now there is another annoyance. Microsoft, in their negative infinite wisdom, has decided that since I opened the Choose Default setting to check on one thing, I must be unsure about EVERY SINGLE DEFAULT I have already set up! So every single filetype I have clicked on for the first time since I did this is bringing up the annoyance box of "Do you still want to keep using...... as the default"

Is there a way to STOP this annoyance, short of spending several minutes clicking on every file type I can think of and answering that stupid question? Because the answer will be the same every time. Yes, Microsoft..I do want to keep using the current default. Otherwise, I WOULD HAVE CHANGED IT WHILE I WAS THERE. You are the creator of my operating system. NOT my mommy and daddy.

There is literally NO good reason for this to be how Windows 10 handles it. I bet there was not one single person of the billions who used Windows 7 or earlier that EVER was upset that they didn't get annoyed every time they clicked on a different filetype after choosing a new default for ONE filetype. I mean...my god...Obviously I KNOW how to change defaults! I was IN the setting page to do so. So I don't need my hand held.

:)

hunterdust, Apr 22, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 22, 2019
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done How can I stop having Windows 10 ask me if I still want to use a default program? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Apr 22, 2019
  4. How can I stop having Windows 10 ask me if I still want to use a default program?

How to set default programs in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From your description, I understand that you want to know how to add programs to the default list in Windows 10.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you try adding programs to the default list?

• If yes, did you get any error code/error message while adding the programs?

Two conditions must be met for a program to appear in the default list:

• The program must have registered itself as being capable of handling at least one file type.

• At least one or the other program must have registered itself of being capable of handling at least one of those same file type(s).

Method 1: Follow the steps below to set the default programs and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on
      Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 22, 2019
Thema:

How can I stop having Windows 10 ask me if I still want to use a default program?

1. How can I stop having Windows 10 ask me if I still want to use a default program? - Similar Threads - stop having ask

2. I still have to ask an adult to use an app Roblox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I still have to ask an adult to use an app Roblox: When I try to open up the microsoft store roblox, I must ask an adult even when I left the family and my mom also turned off the family. After all this, there still is trouble and I need help solving this problem.Ask for permissionYou'll need to ask an adult in your family if...
  3. I still have to ask an adult to use an app Roblox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I still have to ask an adult to use an app Roblox: When I try to open up the microsoft store roblox, I must ask an adult even when I left the family and my mom also turned off the family. After all this, there still is trouble and I need help solving this problem.Ask for permissionYou'll need to ask an adult in your family if...
  4. Windows 10 asks me what program I want to use to open this file each time the desktop...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 asks me what program I want to use to open this file each time the desktop...: Each time my Windows 10 desktop computer starts, a pop-up asks me what program I want to use to open this file. It does not say what file it is talking about, but it has a box to tick to always use this app to open .Hp4364 files. How do I find out what file it is trying to...
  5. Windows 10 asks me what program I want to use to open this file each time the desktop...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 asks me what program I want to use to open this file each time the desktop...: Each time my Windows 10 desktop computer starts, a pop-up asks me what program I want to use to open this file. It does not say what file it is talking about, but it has a box to tick to always use this app to open .Hp4364 files. How do I find out what file it is trying to...
  6. Windows 10 asks me what program I want to use to open this file each time the desktop...

7. I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...: Windows 11 won't let me choose a different default application for jpg files. This affects my workflow, adding several extra steps before I can use my preferred editor:Usually you can right-click select properties and click 'Change' see pdf example below:this option is not...
  8. I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...

I don't want to use Photos as the default program/viewer for JPG files, how can I force the...: Windows 11 won't let me choose a different default application for jpg files. This affects my workflow, adding several extra steps before I can use my preferred editor:Usually you can right-click select properties and click 'Change' see pdf example below:this option is not...
  9. Windows 10 "Freezes" but i can still use loaded programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 "Freezes" but i can still use loaded programs: Hi, i have a very strange problem since a couple of weeks: Windows 10 "freezes" sometimes, but i can still move my mouse and can use loaded programs or open the task manager. I can even still use the web browser and can open websites with it. But thats it, i cant start any...
  10. Windows 10 recognizes me as the Administrator. How can I get it to stop asking me for...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 recognizes me as the Administrator. How can I get it to stop asking me for...: How can I get Windows 10 to stop asking me for Administrator approval? I sign into Windows as the Administrator and it recognizes me as the Administrator but whenever I want to rename, copy or move a file, it asks me for Administrator approval. I'm the sole user of this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i accidentally clicked the check mark to not warn in internet explorer