Windows 10: How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?

Discus and support How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I use the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon/tool, to remove a USB stick, my internal SSD drive shows as a choice to be removed. How... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CountryBumkin, Feb 7, 2016.

1. How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?

When I use the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon/tool, to remove a USB stick, my internal SSD drive shows as a choice to be removed. How can I get the SSD off this list?

In Device Manager, under Disk Drives, looking at the SSD drive's properties there is no "Removal Policy (i.e. choice of "Quick Removal" or "Better Performance") like the removable hard drive on my laptop has.

:)

CountryBumkin, Feb 7, 2016
  2. Entegy Win User

How can I stop my calendar from showing the appointments on lock screen

Unfortunately, that's by design of the "glance-and-go" philosphy of Windows Phone 7 and there's no way to turn off the event on the lock screen without disabling calendar sync. Same goes for the Calendar Live Tile, but at least for that you can unpin that
    if need be.

I think your best way going for would be to edit the event's title to something either only you will get or fill the beginning of it with other characters to obsure to title and use the event's notes/description field for your confidential information.

Entegy, Feb 7, 2016
  3. PablitoD Win User
    How can I stop my calendar from showing the appointments on lock screen

I would also like to have a 'clean' lock screen, without appointments, tasks, etc. If I leave my phone on a desk or whatever, locked so that it's safe, then anyone (boss, wife, girlfriend #1, girlfriend #2, etc) can click the power button to see what's
    on my list for the day.

PablitoD, Feb 7, 2016
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?

Normally you need to install or update your SATA AHCI driver to correct this. You are most likely currently running on the generic Windows driver.

Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for a current Windows 10 driver. (Or laptop manufacturer's website if this is a different rig than that in your specs).
    If no 10 driver, then use the most recent one.

If no SATA/AHCI driver there, then you can get one if you install the most current version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver.
    However I have read some articles that say that W10 does not need IRST, but nothing conclusive. Perhaps someone else here could comment on that.

5. bro67 Win User
    That glitch reared its ugly head right after Windows 7 SP1. Check the manufacturer to see if they have a firmware upgrade for the SSD.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Users do not have to install anything extra with Windows 10. SSD SATA drivers have been built into the OS. This is not an issue with Intel Rapid Storage. It reared its head around the time that Windows 7 SP1 came out.

Manufacturers of SSD's issued Firmware updates right after that, to stop the problem with Windows thinking that the SSD was a portable device.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  7. I wouldn't really worry too much about this. I had this issue on an older laptop when I was using Windows 7 (and not an SSD, but still). Windows absolutely will not let you eject the drive even if you try, because it's in use by the system. Nothing to worry about. You might still want to update your drivers though.

AnonVendetta, Feb 8, 2016
  8. How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?

Thanks. That's good to know - I don't have to do anything.
    But
    I went to Gigabyte website, and listed under Win10 x64 drivers, they have "Intel Management Engine Interface" and "Intel INF Installation".
    Should I install either, or both, of these? Currently I only have Windows drivers installed

CountryBumkin, Feb 8, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    If they are newer then the ones signed by Microsoft and can solve the problem, go for it.

I would make a image backup of the drive, before you even attempt to install those drivers. That includes making a Restore point before installing.

bro67, Feb 8, 2016
  10. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I had this problem on one of my rigs updated to 10 and the AHCI/SATA driver solved it immediately.
    And we have solved it in the SevenForums many times doing the same thing.

Some manufacturer's hardware requires 'special' instruction sets in the driver to activate certain features on the motherboard, while others do not. So the generic Windows driver will work with many systems, but higher end systems need the dedicated driver.

The advice that you can leave it alone and it won't hurt anything is correct. But the behavior is not normal and should be corrected if you want a perfect running system. Ignoring problems and workarounds are not solutions IMHO.

I also believe in updating all my drivers to the most current version from the manufacturer. Can't hurt, might help.

I don't believe the SSD firmware will do anything to address this problem, because it does not affect the SATA controller on the motherboard or Windows, which are the source of the problem. But if there is new firmware, then why not install it (see above).

Good advice to backup and create restore points. Even if nothing goes wrong, you can just go back to where you were if you ever needed to.

Care to tell us the motherboard make and model?

11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    You should install any drivers for Windows 10 that are offered by the manufacturer. These insure that all components added outside the standard Intel or AMD chipset spec will function properly.

Unfortunately, I do not believe either of those drivers will affect the SATA/AHCI driver.

12. AnonVendetta, Feb 9, 2016
  13. How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?

Which does absolutely nothing.

nigelmercier, Feb 9, 2016
  14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    If you can give us a proper motherboard model number like this:
    Gigabyte GA‑Z68X‑UD3H‑B3
    The one of us can look up the drivers to see if there is a AHCI one that will work (for Intel MBs)
    If it is an AMD system someone could find the correct SATA driver for that controller too.

15. Maybe things have changed, but at one time, this behavior meant the SATA controllers were hot-pluggable. You didn't have much of an option for changing things, unless you could turn off the hot-plug capability. If I remember correctly, you couldn't eject your system drive anyway, so it was a non-issue.

DeaconFrost, Feb 9, 2016
Thema:

How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?

1. How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive? - Similar Threads - stop SSD drive

2. How do I remove one drive from my SSD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I remove one drive from my SSD.: How do I remove one drive from my SSD. Note it's not the file, but the icon. It has takes up the same space that I can see with in the web version. I have clicked the files for on-demand and that hasn't freed up any of the SSD. I had also tried to unlink one drive and that...
  3. How do I remove one drive from my SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove one drive from my SSD.: How do I remove one drive from my SSD. Note it's not the file, but the icon. It has takes up the same space that I can see with in the web version. I have clicked the files for on-demand and that hasn't freed up any of the SSD. I had also tried to unlink one drive and that...
  4. How do I remove one drive from my SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?

how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD?: Please excuse my English, but my issue is how can I change the booting drive from HDD to SSD? I bought this gaming laptop, but after formatting it, many weird stuff began to happen. It began to slow down, and I believe the problem is that it is booting on the HDD drive. I...
  6. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I remove the letter from this drive?: A new drive appeared in my file explorer, and it's just sitting there annoying me.The problem is that it belongs to my boot drive. My OS is installed on C: and I assume that G: and the 17MB + 101MB ones are system files. I wanna remove the letter G so It doesn't show up on my...
  7. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I remove the letter from this drive?: A new drive appeared in my file explorer, and it's just sitting there annoying me.The problem is that it belongs to my boot drive. My OS is installed on C: and I assume that G: and the 17MB + 101MB ones are system files. I wanna remove the letter G so It doesn't show up on my...
  8. Can I remove the letter from this drive?

9. How to remove windows 10 from my old SSD so I can make it a slave drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to remove windows 10 from my old SSD so I can make it a slave drive?: Hey guys, I'm thinking of starting a fresh new SSD with the newest version of windows 10 since my current version is so heavy and used that it won't update properly anymore. Thing is I don't want 2 sets of windows in my system. I know I could just use BIOS to set boot...
  10. How can I remove a device from one drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I remove a device from one drive: Today around 2pm I was uploading some files to one drive when I saw a notification saying some of these files that were uploaded have been permanently deleted I was shocked because my one drive had my most important documents. I have a feeling that some other device has...