Windows 10: How can I stop new version of Windows 10 Home from being downloaded and installed?

Discus and support How can I stop new version of Windows 10 Home from being downloaded and installed? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I currently have version 1803 of Windows 10 Home on my laptop, and it gives me no trouble, except that when Windows automatic update tries to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ged28, May 10, 2020.

1. Ged28 Win User

How can I stop new version of Windows 10 Home from being downloaded and installed?

Hello,

I currently have version 1803 of Windows 10 Home on my laptop, and it gives me no trouble, except that when Windows automatic update tries to update me to 1903, the update fails. This has been happening for more than a year now, and it fails at the same point every time when the installation is about 70% complete, and on anbout the 4th restart; it then gives up and restores my 1803 version. Some time ago, I settled for the fact that I would never be able to update to 1903 I tried Scandisk, Checkdisk etc - nothing worked, and would be stuck with unsupported 1803 until my laptop dies. I set my connection to 'metered', which for some months, did what I wanted - it stopped all Windows updates, but that no longer seems to work, and this 'feature' update seems determined to blast its way through everything, even a 'metered' connection. I have played around with Regedit, and that doesn't stop the update either. I can't use Group Policy, because I only have the Home version of Windows 10. Is there ANY way of switching off this damned update to 1903? Twice today Sunday May 10th, 2020, the update has downloaded, and tried to install, and, as always, failed, at the same point as it always has done - the whole process takes about 3 hours, every ******* time.

All I want is to be left alone using 1803. Is there any way in the world that that can be done?

Thank you very much if you can provide an answer. I have looked on the web, and most posts are about 'Microsoft blocking ways to prevent people stopping updates'. Well my laptop is currently doomed to spending its whole life trying and failing to update to 1903.

:)

Ged28, May 10, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, May 10, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 10, 2020
  4. How can I stop new version of Windows 10 Home from being downloaded and installed?

Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, May 10, 2020
Thema:

How can I stop new version of Windows 10 Home from being downloaded and installed?

1. How can I stop new version of Windows 10 Home from being downloaded and installed? - Similar Threads - stop version Home

2. How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?: Yeah, I know, I know: "If you don't update, world will end." But in fairness, my experience is that about a third of the time the updates are buggy. Also, many updates don't apply to my situation but the damn things install ANYWAY. And finally, the long re-boot times as the...
  3. How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?: Yeah, I know, I know: "If you don't update, world will end." But in fairness, my experience is that about a third of the time the updates are buggy. Also, many updates don't apply to my situation but the damn things install ANYWAY. And finally, the long re-boot times as the...
  4. How can I stop W10 from downloading and installing updates?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.: I have Win10 home version. Monday suddenly all of my Office 365 suite programs stopped functioning. All other non-MS programs work fine. Quick Books, Adobe, Riolink cameras, Remote PC, all have worked fine for years, still function without issue other than any inteface with...
  6. Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.

Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.: I have Win10 home version. Monday suddenly all of my Office 365 suite programs stopped functioning. All other non-MS programs work fine. Quick Books, Adobe, Riolink cameras, Remote PC, all have worked fine for years, still function without issue other than any inteface with...
  7. Will a new download of Windows 10 home install over the old corrupted version.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How can I download an installer for Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I download an installer for Windows 10 Home?: I bought a laptop a few years ago that came with a Windows 10 Home license. I recently did a reset and reinstalled Windows using the built-in recovery tools. It installed a copy of Windows 10 Pro and it does not want to activate. When troubleshooting, it tells me that a...
  9. How can I download an installer for Windows 10 Home?

How can I download an installer for Windows 10 Home?: I bought a laptop a few years ago that came with a Windows 10 Home license. I recently did a reset and reinstalled Windows using the built-in recovery tools. It installed a copy of Windows 10 Pro and it does not want to activate. When troubleshooting, it tells me that a...
  10. How can I download an installer for Windows 10 Home?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade