Windows 10: How can I stop scammers infecting my computer with bogus pop ups?

Discus and support How can I stop scammers infecting my computer with bogus pop ups? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've just been getting loads of unwanted fake Microsoft virus threat pop ups the last couple of weeks, and it has been really annoying me. I also... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MatthewExcell, Jan 23, 2019.

1. How can I stop scammers infecting my computer with bogus pop ups?

I've just been getting loads of unwanted fake Microsoft virus threat pop ups the last couple of weeks, and it has been really annoying me. I also understand this has been on the news. How can we prevent it from happening again? This has upset me, especially as my computer has had a full scan, and I can't find any threats. Microsoft Tech support have been wonderful. Have you had the same problem? Share it with me.

You can understand, this has been incredibly annoying. The scammers should be stopped and found. Obviously internet users are a soft target. This doesn't give them an excuse to hack somebody else's personal files or computers. Apart from anything else, it is an invasion of privacy. It must stop NOW!

:)

MatthewExcell, Jan 23, 2019

2. Microsoft scammers

Yes, that should be enough.

Probably you saw something similar to what is described here:
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-your-computer-has-been-locked-popup-scam

All these kind of pop ups are fake alerts. Your PC is NOT infected.

Do NOT call the phone-number which is displayed in that fake alert.

It leads to scammers who try to trick you into giving them access to your computer, to steal your passwords etc and to sell you their unneeded services etc.

Please carefully read the following article which explains in detail how to get rid of such pop ups and what to do if you keep on seeing them:

In addition suggestion to read:

Jsssssssss, Jan 23, 2019
  3. How do I get these pop ups for programs for driver up dates to stop!

These pop ups for new driver software are coming up every day on my computer and I now know they are bogus but how do I get them to stop??

BonnieGino, Jan 23, 2019
  4. How can I stop scammers infecting my computer with bogus pop ups?

A pop up appeared and a phone number and audio saying my computer was infected

Thanks for reply.

My Internet Security suite support replied with this:

I have reviewed the logging information returned to us by your system, and I have determined that you are not infected.

Occasionally, a browser window may pop up with a scam message. Common pop-ups include a message saying you have a firewall issue or have a virus, and you need to call a tech support number (sometimes claiming to be Microsoft) to get it resolved. These pop-ups
    are not caused by a virus, and your computer has not been affected. This "hijack" is a JavaScript pop-up, and is limited to your web browser. Also understand that these messages are scams, so do not pay any money, call the listed number, or provide any personal
    information. No website has the capability to scan your computer for viruses.

They also instructed me on a process to go through if this pop up returns.

DireWolf68, Jan 23, 2019
Thema:

How can I stop scammers infecting my computer with bogus pop ups?

1. How can I stop scammers infecting my computer with bogus pop ups? - Similar Threads - stop scammers infecting

2. How do I stop this pop up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop this pop up?: I'm on windows 11 and keep getting a constant pop up for Windows Security, "workplace or school account connecting to ... enter username and password. I have removed the school account from Microsoft Edge and there is no such account when I go to Settings -> Accounts ->...
  3. How do I stop this pop up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop this pop up?: I'm on windows 11 and keep getting a constant pop up for Windows Security, "workplace or school account connecting to ... enter username and password. I have removed the school account from Microsoft Edge and there is no such account when I go to Settings -> Accounts ->...
  4. Stuck with pop=up scammer's message on my screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck with pop=up scammer's message on my screen.: Split from this thread. I have that on my computer right now. I did not respond, but it will not let me get into my computer. WHen I shut down, I came back on and the same message is there. How do I get it to go away so I can continue using my computer??...
  5. Stuck with pop=up scammer's message on my screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck with pop=up scammer's message on my screen.: Split from this thread. I have that on my computer right now. I did not respond, but it will not let me get into my computer. WHen I shut down, I came back on and the same message is there. How do I get it to go away so I can continue using my computer??...
  6. fake virus infection pop ups

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    fake virus infection pop ups: I am getting many pop-ups saying my PC is infected by a virus. I never click them on. And it happens before I go to the internet. So, I suspect it is some kind of malware. Windows defender scan says no infection. The keystroke is slow, too. What do I have to do?...
  7. fake virus infection pop ups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fake virus infection pop ups: I am getting many pop-ups saying my PC is infected by a virus. I never click them on. And it happens before I go to the internet. So, I suspect it is some kind of malware. Windows defender scan says no infection. The keystroke is slow, too. What do I have to do?...
  8. How can I stop pop up onscreen advertising

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I stop pop up onscreen advertising: I keep getting these pop up advertising windows on my bottom right corner from "Move notification to action center" and I do not know how and or why! I just want to make it stop but I have no idea how it started or how to stop it! Can I get some help or am I in the wrong...
  9. Scammer Popped up on Amazon Website

Scammer Popped up on Amazon Website: I was trying to get on amazon and a warning page popped up that told me multiple accounts were being hacked into. How can I make that not pop up/do I forever need to just remember not to click that? It was the same exact message that another person had commented and written...
  10. Bogus Pop-up!

Bogus Pop-up!: Hi All, Has anybody seen this pop-up lately? It appeared on my computer while I was routinely surfing one of my favorite news websites. MS needs to hammer these CREEPS and they should do so with extreme prejudice! [IMG]...