Windows 10: How can I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons every time I change monitor...

Discus and support How can I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons every time I change monitor... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I run Win10 20H2. I have two monitors that are not the same. One is 1920x1080 and the main display the other is 1680x1050. I only put shortcut icons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Punchcard Steve, Dec 18, 2020.

1. How can I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons every time I change monitor...

I run Win10 20H2. I have two monitors that are not the same. One is 1920x1080 and the main display the other is 1680x1050. I only put shortcut icons on the main 1920x1080 monitor. I need to organize my desktop icons by task.

Here is what I see happen:

I change the main display refresh either 60-140Hz or 140-60Hz

The main screen blinks off for 1-2s

In that moment I see icons appear on the second monitor but not all of them.

the main screen comes on and some of the icons are still on the main monitor but in new random locations.

On a few instances an icon is not on either screen and I have to go to the Desktop folder and delete it then remake it to get it back on screen. Really, the whole desktop icon concept does not work at all for me.

This happens EVERY time I change refresh rates.

I have tried to understand the View, Sort and Refresh commands but can't find any way to stop the chaos.

I found no way to save the configurations. One post said if I used Refresh it would learn my icon positions and keep them in place.

That works sometimes but never on a monitor refresh change. I think windows sees the monitor disappear and rushes to use a new display. That leads to the chaos.

I just did a new install on a new disk and this problem followed to the new install.

Is there a registry setting that will increase the wait time before auto switching a new main display?

Is there a registry setting that will disable all automatic icon arrangements?

Is there a way to save icon settings?

Happy Trails and Good Health to ALL

:)

Punchcard Steve, Dec 18, 2020

2. Desktop icons rearrange at random

Hi,

In order for us to find out what causes your screen to go blank and rearrange the desktop icons, we would like to gather more information:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Dec 18, 2020
  3. Zack-321 Win User
    desktop icons rearrange after connect/disconnect external monitor

I use a second monitor to extend my desktop every day at work. After upgrade to windows 10, everytime I disconnect the monitor and restart all of my icons are now shoved to the left and rearranged by type. This is very frustrating. I've got 'auto arrange
    icons' deselected and haven't found any other options. This is getting pretty frustrating, anyone have any suggestions?

Zack-321, Dec 18, 2020
  4. How can I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons every time I change monitor...

Desktop icon rearrangement on sreen rotate/unrotate

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

Please try below steps and check if it helps to stop rearranging desktop icon automatically.

• Right click on desktop, click on View.
    • Uncheck Auto arrange icons.
    Hope this helps, if the issue persists do get back to us we will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

How can I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons every time I change monitor...

1. How can I stop Windows from rearranging my desktop icons every time I change monitor... - Similar Threads - stop rearranging desktop

2. How can I rearrange taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I rearrange taskbar icons?: Hi!I would like to rearrange the icons on my taskbar, but they are 'stuck' in an order. I tried looking this up, but I could only find suggestions that involve third-party software, which isn't something I would prefer for my work laptop. I can rearrange icons of different...
  3. How can I rearrange taskbar icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I rearrange taskbar icons?: Hi!I would like to rearrange the icons on my taskbar, but they are 'stuck' in an order. I tried looking this up, but I could only find suggestions that involve third-party software, which isn't something I would prefer for my work laptop. I can rearrange icons of different...
  4. How to stop Windows 11 from rearranging my desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows 11 from rearranging my desktop icons: Once again, the OS has decided it knows better how to rearrange my desktop than I. Any developments on ways to prevent this from happening, or if it does, how to get back to what Windows screwed up?...
  5. How to stop Windows 11 from rearranging my desktop icons

How to stop Windows 11 from rearranging my desktop icons: Once again, the OS has decided it knows better how to rearrange my desktop than I. Any developments on ways to prevent this from happening, or if it does, how to get back to what Windows screwed up?...
  6. Windows 11 How to stop desktop icons from rearranging.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 How to stop desktop icons from rearranging.: Hello all, quick question. Windows 11, How to stop desktop icons from rearranging? Windows 11, I have about 100 icons on my desktop, tons of apps games, 2 flight simulators with all the add-ons, and a whole bunch of files and folders, and after my upgrade, everything seems to...
  7. Windows 11 How to stop desktop icons from rearranging.

Windows 11 How to stop desktop icons from rearranging.: Hello all, quick question. Windows 11, How to stop desktop icons from rearranging? Windows 11, I have about 100 icons on my desktop, tons of apps games, 2 flight simulators with all the add-ons, and a whole bunch of files and folders, and after my upgrade, everything seems to...
  8. Windows 10 desktop icons keep rearranging every time I boot up my PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 desktop icons keep rearranging every time I boot up my PC: A couple days ago I just came of a game to find that half of my desktop icons had been shoved into the top left hand corner and I don't know why... if I turn on "Auto Arrange" icons it fixes my problem completely even after a reboot but that feature honestly sucks and makes...
  9. How can I stop desktop icons from rearranging themselves after rebooting?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I stop desktop icons from rearranging themselves after rebooting?: It occurs after the computer is shut down and rebooted, but not after I merely restart the computer. I have already made sure that the “auto arrange icons” is unchecked, and the “IconCache” has been deleted. Because of visual problems I have to keep the “change the size...
  10. Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor: Windows 10 laptop. I connect it to an external monitor and use hdmi cable. My external monitor is my main monitor. I use the laptop monitor as the secondary monitor. I extend the display. My desktop icons are always on my external monitor desktop. I had moved the hdmi...