Windows 10: How can I stop Windows Search from searching the web?

Discus and support How can I stop Windows Search from searching the web? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello How can I stop Windows Searching (on the task bar) from searching the Internet? Or at least stop it from doing so by default! If I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ship69, Nov 17, 2020.

1. ship69 Win User

How can I stop Windows Search from searching the web?

Hello

How can I stop Windows Searching (on the task bar) from searching the Internet?

Or at least stop it from doing so by default! If I want to search the Web/Internet, then I would use a browser...
    [What an idiotic default, no?]

I don't want Cortana listening to my voice (i.e. spying on me) either.

Thanks

J

:)

ship69, Nov 17, 2020
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Turn Off Web Search Results When Searching My Computer

Hi,

If you are pertaining to the Cortana search web results, you can disable it and improve local search results. Follow the steps below to disable web results:

• Click the search bar.
    • Select the Notebook icon on the left pane of the search bar.
    • From the options, select Settings. (Note: On the later versions of Windows, the Settings button might be outside the Notebook icon.)
    • On the Settings, toggle the Cortana gives me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option to
      Off.
    • On the lower part, turn off the Search online and included web results option as well.

See the image as reference to the above steps:

How can I stop Windows Search from searching the web? 7c9e0858-2114-462b-b171-63b6e7d3089d.jpg

After doing the steps, try using search again and see if the web results will now disappear.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Anne Ros, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      How can I stop Windows Search from searching the web? a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Nov 17, 2020
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

Search Question

Which is why I suggested he try there instead. TPU is too limited of a user base to search here alone for anything gaming related.

rtwjunkie, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I stop Windows Search from searching the web? - Similar Threads - stop Search searching

2. How to enable searching the web from the windows start menu/search bar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable searching the web from the windows start menu/search bar?: Hi,I'm trying to re-enable searching the web from the Windows search bar after it disappeared without me changing any settings. I tried modifying the registry to re-enable it without any luck. Any ideas?Thanks,Craze...
  3. How to hide 'Trending videos from the web' and 'trending searches' in search window

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to hide 'Trending videos from the web' and 'trending searches' in search window: Hello everyoneCan anyone tell me how to remove the 'Trending videos from the web' and 'trending searches' in the search window, example is included in image. I want to keep my recent searches but remove the other things like I said , which can be seen on the right....
  4. How to hide 'Trending videos from the web' and 'trending searches' in search window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to hide 'Trending videos from the web' and 'trending searches' in search window: Hello everyoneCan anyone tell me how to remove the 'Trending videos from the web' and 'trending searches' in the search window, example is included in image. I want to keep my recent searches but remove the other things like I said , which can be seen on the right....
  5. How to hide 'Trending videos from the web' and 'trending searches' in search window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to hide 'Trending videos from the web' and 'trending searches' in search window

in Cortana
  7. how to stop web result showing in search

in Cortana
    how to stop web result showing in search: Can i disable web result to not showing in my search box and show only file and floder in my laptop?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-web-result-showing-in-search/891f09ce-7b31-4ed9-9d01-d6b70f86d0d9
  8. Web search gone from windows search bar!

in Cortana
    Web search gone from windows search bar!: I loved web search and used it everyday and now it is somehow gone and I do not know why that is! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/web-search-gone-from-windows-search-bar/2f7e62a3-c9c3-4e40-9bd3-347f58f01e61
  9. Web Search in Windows search not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Web Search in Windows search not working: Is anyone having an issue with windows search? Normally when i want to web search something, I type it into windows search and web search it, but for some reason that isn't working for me anymore. Its like Web search in Windows search is just gone now....
  10. Search and how to stop searching the web.

in Windows 10 Support
    Search and how to stop searching the web.: I sometimes want to search just my PC for files but search brings up internet files. How do I stop search going on to the internet please? 24877