Windows 10: How can I take ownership and get full access to files and folders

Discus and support How can I take ownership and get full access to files and folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I recently installed the SSD and Windows 10 on my device. I had Windows 7 on HDD and now I put this drive to external enclosure. Now I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by strusmig, Jul 31, 2016.

1. strusmig Win User

How can I take ownership and get full access to files and folders

Hi!
    I recently installed the SSD and Windows 10 on my device. I had Windows 7 on HDD and now I put this drive to external enclosure. Now I want to copy my data to my SSD on Windows 10 but I need to take ownership and get full access to files and folders but I don't want to mess up with these security settings because maybe I will use this drive and I don't want to damage Windows 7 file system and settings on this drive.

So what should I do with these?

English isn’t my native language, so please excuse any mistakes.

:)

strusmig, Jul 31, 2016
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Cannot Open Documents created prior to installing new desktop with upgrade to Windows 10

Sounds like at least part of your problem is Windows Access Rights Issues. Take a look at this article on how to "take ownership" of those files

How to take ownership and get full access to files and folders in Windows 10

Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10

Rohn007, Jul 31, 2016
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    error: "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission"

It sounds like a Windows Access Rights issue. For some reason your ID no longer has access rights to that folder. Here are some tips on how to "take ownership" of files and folders

ADD TAKE OWNER TO WIN 10 CONTEXT MENU

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-take-ow...

HOW TO TAKE OWNERSHIP AND GET FULL ACCESS TO FILES AND FOLDERS IN WINDOWS 10

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-a...

TAKE OWNERSHIP OF FILES / FOLDERS - VISTA

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/ad...

HOW TO TAKE OWNERSHIP (PERMISSION) OF A FILE OR FOLDER MANUALLY IN WINDOWS?

http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-ownershi...

Rohn007, Jul 31, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

What files and folders if you want at some point to use the win7 again then taking ownership can kill it. The best way would be to boot back to 7 and copy files off to another drive that way everything is preserved

Samuria, Jul 31, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Here's how to take ownership:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

As long as you leave the permissions in place that were there in Windows 7 you should be fine to also access the files/folders from the old Windows 7. And if now, then guess what you do? Go back an take ownership of the files and folders again in Windows 7 How can I take ownership and get full access to files and folders :)

NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2016
  6. That's the manual way to do it.

But if you want a quicker way, then read this thread, download and run the file: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

I had to go through this same process this weekend -- migrating a bunch of files from an old "user" folder into a new "user" folder for a relative, and what worked for me was the following:
    1) Use manual method to attempt to take ownership of the folder -- it will fail!
    2) But then, you can copy the folder and all of its contents from the old "user" folder into the new "user" folder
    3) Right-click on the new "user" folder and do the take-ownership using the context menu.

Good Luck

Mark Phelps, Jul 31, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, avoid ownership issues and boot your PC from a suitable bootable medium that will allow you to copy what you want.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I take ownership and get full access to files and folders - Similar Threads - ownership full access

2. Taking ownership of program file folder Access denied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taking ownership of program file folder Access denied: [ATTACH] I was having issue with ownership/permission while I am developing using new language. Currently, my program file's owner is Trustedinstaller. I would need to change ownership so I can modify controls... but kept getting access is denied. I changed my user folder...
  3. can admins take ownership of an file that...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can admins take ownership of an file that...: can admins take ownership of an file that has an explicit "DENY" entry for the group "Administrators". i made an file that i set that only i could access or change... can a admin bypass the "DENY" entry that's supposed to block them from taking ownership or editing the...
  4. cannot take ownership of folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot take ownership of folders: I get permission errors when I try to open some folders in Windows 10 desktop. I try to take ownership as described in How to take ownership of a Folder. I am the administrator. I'm the only user. When I do I get the following errors. an error occurred applying security...
  5. Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails

Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails: Hello, I have been dealing with an issue lately not being able to access the files from an external drive. That drive contains the windows 10 files that I had on my old pc. I have tried many methods of trying to take folder ownership and it keeps failing, error messages...
  6. How to I list folders and files inside the WindowsApps folder WITHOUT taking ownership?

How to I list folders and files inside the WindowsApps folder WITHOUT taking ownership?: Hi guys! Like the Subject says "How to I list folders and files inside the WindowsApps folder WITHOUT taking ownership?" Because every single time I've taken ownership of WindowsApps it breaks something. But I have to get the path to my games installed there....
  7. Taking ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking ownership of a file: Some time ago a had file that required only one click to take ownership of another file. I would just right click on the file I was interested in and select "take ownership." It would then make a change in the registry and give me addess to that file. Does anyone here know...
  8. Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error

Take ownership of file getting Access is denied error: Hi Experts I am getting a Access is denied when running the below command on two of the files. I am running CMD as administrator. C:\WINDOWS\system32>Takeown /r /f C:\Windows\CSC SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\CSC" now owned by user "XANDER\xande". SUCCESS:...
  9. Take Ownership folders and files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  10. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...