Windows 10: How can I take ownership of the .exe file of a Windows 10 game?

Discus and support How can I take ownership of the .exe file of a Windows 10 game? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I play Sea of Thieves on Windows 10, and I am trying to take ownership of/unlock the game's .exe file. I was successful in claiming ownership of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Vilksian, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Vilksian Win User

How can I take ownership of the .exe file of a Windows 10 game?

I play Sea of Thieves on Windows 10, and I am trying to take ownership of/unlock the game's .exe file. I was successful in claiming ownership of the WindowsApps folder it is contained in, but am having trouble unlocking the file itself. I have tried the same method I used to claim ownership if the folders, but that does not seem to work.

The error it gives me when I try to run it is "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to accessthe item."

Basically I want to be able to double click the .exe file and have it launch Sea of Thieves, without having to use the Start menu.

:)

Vilksian, Jan 14, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Game Compatibility

Hello Debie,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

There are some programs that need new definitions compatible with Windows 10. Till the time they are unavailable you can install the programs compatible with previous versions of operating system in compatibility mode. If you can access the executable (.exe)
    file for the game, I would suggest you to follow the below provided steps:

Step 1: Download and save the game on the desktop.

Step 2: Install the game in compatibility mode.

• Right click on the .exe file, and click on Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab.
    • Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    • Select Windows 8 (or any other compatible OS) in the list of Operating systems.
    • Click OK.
    • Double-click the executable file to install the game and follow the onscreen instructions.
    • Reboot your computer.
    Additional information:

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10  

Hello umisery, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You should be seeing "Take Ownership" in the context menu when you right click on an .exe file like below if you merged the downloadable .reg file from step 2 or 3.

How can I take ownership of the .exe file of a Windows 10 game? [​IMG]

Brink, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I take ownership of the .exe file of a Windows 10 game? - Similar Threads - ownership exe file

2. Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass: Long story short I need to modify starfield.exe with a HEX editor so I can get 32:9 aspect ratio support for Starfield - I've tried everything I can think of to take permissions of the file and everything fails with access denied. I can/have taken ownership of literally every...
  3. Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass: Long story short I need to modify starfield.exe with a HEX editor so I can get 32:9 aspect ratio support for Starfield - I've tried everything I can think of to take permissions of the file and everything fails with access denied. I can/have taken ownership of literally every...
  4. Can not take ownership of exe file in XboxGames folder installed by Game Pass

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. can admins take ownership of an file that...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can admins take ownership of an file that...: can admins take ownership of an file that has an explicit "DENY" entry for the group "Administrators". i made an file that i set that only i could access or change... can a admin bypass the "DENY" entry that's supposed to block them from taking ownership or editing the...
  6. Cannot take ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot take ownership of a file: Hi, I am trying to take ownership of a file with no current owner and tried to take ownership as the administrator, but no matter what I do, the it keeps "no current owner" in its properties. I have tried to change the ownership by "Replacing all child object permission...
  7. Claiming ownership if the .exe file of a Windows 10 game

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Claiming ownership if the .exe file of a Windows 10 game: I play Sea of Thieves on Windows 10, and I am trying to take ownership of/unlock the game's .exe file. I was successful in claiming ownership of the WindowsApps folder it is contained in, but am having trouble unlocking the file itself. I have tried the same method I used to...
  8. Taking ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking ownership of a file: Some time ago a had file that required only one click to take ownership of another file. I would just right click on the file I was interested in and select "take ownership." It would then make a change in the registry and give me addess to that file. Does anyone here know...
  9. Take Ownership folders and files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  10. How can I take ownership and get full access to files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I take ownership and get full access to files and folders: Hi! I recently installed the SSD and Windows 10 on my device. I had Windows 7 on HDD and now I put this drive to external enclosure. Now I want to copy my data to my SSD on Windows 10 but I need to take ownership and get full access to files and folders but I don't want to...