Windows 10: How can I tell if Bitlocker is activated without the manage-bde tool

Discus and support How can I tell if Bitlocker is activated without the manage-bde tool in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm devellopping an app that can automatically collect general information about a windows system, and I would like to add information about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MathiBearBC, Sep 21, 2018.

1. How can I tell if Bitlocker is activated without the manage-bde tool

Hello,

I'm devellopping an app that can automatically collect general information about a windows system, and I would like to add information about Bitlocker. I would like to know if there is way to tell if Bitlocker is activated without using the manual command 'manage-bde -status', per exemple by reading a value in a file, or something like this. I still can read the output of 'manage-bde status' but if it changes after an update, my process will not work anymore.

Thanks in advance for your help !

:)

MathiBearBC, Sep 21, 2018
  2. Brian Cab Win User

My question is about bitlocker.

Hi,

To address your concern, You can try unlocking the hard drives through the elevated command prompt by following the steps below.

Unlock Drive using a Password

• Open command prompt as administrator.
    • Type the commands below. You will not be able to see the password while typing it in.
    manage-bde -unlock D: -password (for the D drive)

manage-bde -unlock F: -password (for the F drive)

3. Hit Enter key after typing in each command.

Unlock Drive using the Bitlocker Recovery Key

• Open command prompt as administrator.
    • Type the commands below.
    manage-bde -unlock D: -rp BitLocker Recovery Key (for the D drive)

manage-bde -unlock F: -rp BitLocker Recovery Key (for the F drive)

3. Hit Enter key after typing in each command.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Sep 21, 2018
  3. BitLocker

Hi,

It's impossible to disable Bitlocker, the option to disable doesn't exist and even using tools like manage-bde or repair-bde i'm not able to manage or disable the drive encryption.

Tks in advance

Carlos Carbonari, Sep 21, 2018
  4. How can I tell if Bitlocker is activated without the manage-bde tool

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

more clear
    0down voteaccepted
    I managed to figure out how to fix this. It doesn't use the native auto-unlock function like I was hoping (rather a script that unlocks using a .BEK file, as I mentioned) but it seems to work just as well.

First, you need to create a .BEK file that can unlock the disk. This is the command I used:

manage-bde -protectors -add d: -rk c:\

Substitute d: with whichever drive you want to auto-unlock. The output will look something like this (take note of the "external key file name"):

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Key Protectors Added:

Saved to directory c:\

External Key:
    ID: {9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551}
    External Key File Name:
    9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551.BEK

Now you need to create the script to unlock the drive. Just create a batch file in the root directory with the following line:

manage-bde -unlock d: -rk C:\[external key filename]

Again, replace d: with the correct drive letter. Replace [external key filename] with the filename you got before.

Finally, you need to tell Windows to run this script at startup, before you log in. (Or at least I needed it to run then, because that's where my desktop, etc. are stored.) Here's how you do that:

• Press Win+R and enter gpedit.msc. (This is only in Pro, but so is BitLocker, so that's not an issue here.)

• On the left, navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

• Double-click "Startup" on the right

• Click "Add..." and select the batch file you created before.

• Click OK and exit Group Policy Editor.
    Now you can reboot the computer to test it. You should see your drive automatically unlocked

Rafa anabe, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

How can I tell if Bitlocker is activated without the manage-bde tool

1. How can I tell if Bitlocker is activated without the manage-bde tool - Similar Threads - tell Bitlocker activated

2. manage-bde tool not found on my windows 11 home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    manage-bde tool not found on my windows 11 home: Hello, My Computer has a D drive which is encrypted and i cannot access the files and folders within it. I came across a solution on the internet to try to decrypt the drive using cmd using manage-bde but it's not found. How can i decrypt my drive. Is there any trusted 3rd...
  3. manage-bde tool not found on my windows 11 home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    manage-bde tool not found on my windows 11 home: Hello, My Computer has a D drive which is encrypted and i cannot access the files and folders within it. I came across a solution on the internet to try to decrypt the drive using cmd using manage-bde but it's not found. How can i decrypt my drive. Is there any trusted 3rd...
  4. Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker: Help!!! Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/manage-bde-unlock-volume-bitlocker/e4603db3-eb47-42b8-96e6-652cdac4a192
  5. Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker

Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker: Help!!! Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/manage-bde-unlock-volume-bitlocker/e4603db3-eb47-42b8-96e6-652cdac4a192
  6. BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get": BitLocker: QUESTION ABOUT: "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"While "C" is the drive it can be, C, D, E ect...1 "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" I used the above command to find me info, no issues at all... SEE SCREEN SHOT #12 "manage-bde -protectors E: -get" Then I tried to...
  7. Manage-bde question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manage-bde question: I have two computer both have bitlocker enabledSecond one d drive need manage-bde commandTo decrypt1.If decrypt with this command, will it lose encryption protection in use for d drive?2.C drive never need to use manage-bde to decryptDoes it mean that confidential data should...
  8. Manage-bde question

Manage-bde question: I have two computer both have bitlocker enabledSecond one d drive need manage-bde commandTo decrypt1.If decrypt with this command, will it lose encryption protection in use for d drive?2.C drive never need to use manage-bde to decryptDoes it mean that confidential data should...
  9. Manage-bde question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Can I use BitLocker without activating Windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use BitLocker without activating Windows?: I use Home and I'm wanting to encrypt my disk. I don't have money to buy Pro and eBay keys are shady for me to trust. submitted by /u/complexramification [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ht93f1/can_i_use_bitlocker_without_activating_windows/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to find if bitlocker is activated