Windows 10: How can I tell if Windows recognises my secondary drive as internal?

Discus and support How can I tell if Windows recognises my secondary drive as internal? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I reset my Windows 10 laptop recently and was jittered by a 'select what to do with removable media' notification with my secondary data drive- an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Wyatt850, Mar 25, 2020.

1. How can I tell if Windows recognises my secondary drive as internal?

I reset my Windows 10 laptop recently and was jittered by a 'select what to do with removable media' notification with my secondary data drive- an internal HDD.

This notification hasn't reappeared since, and the drive works fine, but in a little kick of OCD I really want to know if Windows recognises this as an internal drive.

Write caching was enabled automatically, which I was told happens if Windows recognises a drive as internal.

Both my OS SSD and Secondary HDD say they're plugged into port 0 via properties, but Intel Rapid Storage Technology says the SSD is plugged into 1 and the HDD is 0.

Are there any ways I can can check if Windows recognises my drive as internal?

submitted by /u/Wyatt850
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Wyatt850, Mar 25, 2020
  2. lvr181 Win User

Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive.

Win10 does not "see" it!
    But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive!

How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie.

Thanks.

lvr181, Mar 25, 2020
  3. lvr181 Win User
    Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

Thankyou ignatzatsonic (and everyone else) for your help.

Windows now recognises the added secondary drive. *Smile

lvr181, Mar 25, 2020
  4. How can I tell if Windows recognises my secondary drive as internal?

Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

How can I tell if Windows recognises my secondary drive as internal?

1. How can I tell if Windows recognises my secondary drive as internal? - Similar Threads - tell recognises secondary

2. How do I get my laptop to recognise the internal audio device it stopped recognising it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my laptop to recognise the internal audio device it stopped recognising it...: After an automatic windows update, my computer HP Spectre x360 13t-aw000 stopped recognising the internal audio device. If I hover over the speaker symbol, it now says "No audio device installed". Also, when I go into the Volume Mixer or Sound Settings, it says "No Output...
  3. How do I get my laptop to recognise the internal audio device it stopped recognising it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get my laptop to recognise the internal audio device it stopped recognising it...: After an automatic windows update, my computer HP Spectre x360 13t-aw000 stopped recognising the internal audio device. If I hover over the speaker symbol, it now says "No audio device installed". Also, when I go into the Volume Mixer or Sound Settings, it says "No Output...
  4. Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive: Hi, I want the secondary HDD in my laptop to be recognised as removable. This way I hope that the drive can automatically spin down without ever being spun up for no apparent reason by the OS, if set to something like quick removal which should disable write caching on the...
  5. A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)!: In the last 2 months I've noticed one of my secondary internal drives starting to "dissappear". I can't seem to reproduce it on purpose but it has happened enough times to have me concerned and hoping someone can help either solve or explain what might be happening. At first...
  6. Windows 10 won't recognise my internal hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't recognise my internal hard drive.: I have an internal hard drive of 320GB. Recently my computer started failing to boot. Everything wasn't working even system restore command using CMD. Today I tried using my USB to format it but my hard drive isn't showing. The only thing that's recognised is the USB which...
  7. On my windows install usb drive, how can I tell windows version?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    On my windows install usb drive, how can I tell windows version?: Sometime ago I created a usb install drive for windows. It is either 1809 or 1803, how can I tell which one? 131023
  8. Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal secondary hard drive not recognised: After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive. Win10 does not "see" it! But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive! How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie....
  9. Can I backup to an internal drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I backup to an internal drive?: I am using Windows 10 with Dell that I purchased desktop that came with Windows 10. I back up my files to external hard drive without a problem but I want to back up my files to internal hard drive as well. Both. I just want to be safe. I click add driver but it didn't...
  10. How can I tell.....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I tell.....: How can i tell if I have actually upgraded to the free upgrade to 10 pro; or whether I am still running the last insider version of 10240? I used the dvd/usb tool from the microsoft store to transfer the iso for 10 from the media creation tool to setup files and ran the setup...