Windows 10: How can I tell which driver is causing "Driver PNP Watchdog" BSOD?

Discus and support How can I tell which driver is causing "Driver PNP Watchdog" BSOD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello to all, and thanks in advance for your help! QUESTION: ======= How can I find out which driver is causing the "Driver PNP Watchdog" BSOD?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by info_dan, Dec 28, 2020.

1. info_dan Win User

How can I tell which driver is causing "Driver PNP Watchdog" BSOD?

Hello to all, and thanks in advance for your help!

QUESTION:

=======

How can I find out which driver is causing the "Driver PNP Watchdog" BSOD?

Situation:

======

I realized the other day that my mother's PC hasn't succeeded at a windows 10 feature update for more than two years. It is currently running 1803, installed in June 2018. The update history log has multiple failure entries trying to update to 1903, 1902 and 20H2, most failing with code 0xc1900101.

When I try it manually through Windows Update, the new version is downloaded and supposedly "installed", but when it reboots, during the black screen with blue Windows logo and the circling dots, there is the BSOD with Driver PNP Watchdog error, then the installation rolls back to 1803. Sometimes it tries to install 1909, other times it tries to install 20H2. Same result in both situations.

I created a 20H2 install media, and if I try to run the setup.exe, overall same process, and the error code returned when the system rolls back is 0xc1900101 - 0x20017.

This system is 10 years old and has two 1TB SSD in RAID 1, and a 1TB HDD.

IMPORTANT: If only the 1TB HDD is connected, I am able to do an install from scratch using the 20H2 media, so I know it's possible to run the most recent Windows 10 on that machine.

My objective:
    ========
    Update this system to the latest Windows 10 version 20H2, without doing a clean install that would require me to re-install everything. I am prepared to spend time looking at the logs and using debugging tool to looks at dump files and stack traces to isolate the root cause of the BSOD I am a software engineer.

Hardware details:

===========

Dell Studio XPS 9100 Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHz

Intel ICH10R Southbridge Currently configured in BIOS as RAID, system unable to boot if I switch to AHCI

8 GB memory, 1 TB disks are less than 40% full

Currently running Windows 10 x64 Pro 1803

Things I have already checked:

===================

From How to Fix ‘Driver PNP Watchdog’ BSOD Error In Windows 10 thegeekpage.com

- Check Volume Shadow Copy service

- sfc /scannow

- chkdsk C: /f /r /x

- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    - Tweak System Service Settings rename SoftwareDistribution and catroot2
    - In device manager, there are no warning sign indicators all entries are initially collapsed, and I also double-checked them

- Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter

- Currently using only 1 SSD drive, raid configuration removed. Will try to see if I can change Sata mode to AHCI trying to update in that configuration also failed - Update: Can't reboot, "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE".

Things I plan to check:

==============

- Make a disk image using Clonezilla, switch controller from RAID to AHCI, restore disk image. To see if this is caused by ICH10R controller being in SATA Raid mode.

:)

info_dan, Dec 28, 2020

2. driver PNP watchdog

Hi

i'm stuck whit this BSOD driver pnp watchdog.

and i can't do anything at all.

when i start it says "unexpected shutdown detected"

then it looks as if it starts up and suddenly the BSOD comes up.

What can i do????

PepijnVeldboom, Dec 28, 2020
  3. martya2 Win User
    PNP DRIVER WATCHDOG

I have been trying to install the April2018 Update but I get a blue screen with the Stop Code PNP DRIVER WATCHDOG. Is there a workaround?

martya2, Dec 28, 2020
  4. pjcamp Win User

Driver pnp watchdog

Update 1803 has failed three times. The stop code is DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG. This information appears to be undocumented and totally useless, but it is apparently a problem that people everywhere are having and failing to fix.

I have a gracious plenty of codes that have no meaning to me. 0x1900101, 0x80240034 (twice).

Also KB4023057 refuses to even try to install. 0x80070643 for whatever that is worth.

I can guess this is a plug and play driver problem. If you expect me to fix the problem, seems like you should tell me which driver, not just pop up a generic undocumented stop code.

pjcamp, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I tell which driver is causing "Driver PNP Watchdog" BSOD? - Similar Threads - tell driver causing

2. DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG: DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-pnp-watchdog/e6588141-5f11-4ec0-ad10-c217adcbe3c0
  3. DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG: DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-pnp-watchdog/e6588141-5f11-4ec0-ad10-c217adcbe3c0
  4. DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. driver pnp watchdog error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    driver pnp watchdog error: So whenever I try and open my computer and boot it up it won’t load past the screen with the windows logo so I tried resetting the computer that it will do the automatic repair but it just shows a blue screen with a error saying driver pnp watchdog. I’ve tried installing a...
  6. Stopcode: driver pnp watchdog

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stopcode: driver pnp watchdog: Hi , From 2days, i am getting blue screen " driver pnp watchdog" error, now my system is not restarting, i tried to automatic repair it but couldn't work , same error is throwing , i have reseted my laptop and tried to open but couldnt work. I took booted file in usb from...
  7. Driver PNP watchdog

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Driver PNP watchdog: Help, I don't know what to do... I've tried so much and I can't figure it out... I can't even launch into windows... submitted by /u/empoleon621 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fb95fb/driver_pnp_watchdog/
  8. Unbootable BSOD: Driver PNP watchdog

Unbootable BSOD: Driver PNP watchdog: Hey Everyone, I've been handed a clients device which is currently displaying a BSOD error and Is completely unable to boot; (into both Normal windows or Safe mode) I tried using a Windows Recovery USB... also unable to boot into and displays the same error. So far the...
  9. DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG: Hi I'm currently running Windows 10, version 1709 and I've being trying to install Windows 10, version 1803 two times. All attempts end with Stop code: DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG during one of the restarts. In fact the update appears to work normally until around 43%, then it...
  10. Driver pnp watchdog

Driver pnp watchdog: Update 1803 has failed three times. The stop code is DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG. This information appears to be undocumented and totally useless, but it is apparently a problem that people everywhere are having and failing to fix. I have a gracious plenty of codes that have no...