Windows 10: How can I tell which program is taking exclusive control of audio?

Discus and support How can I tell which program is taking exclusive control of audio? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Subject says it all. Context: I have an Oculus Rift, and the sound used to pop in and out. Now, when I say "pop", I do not mean mute and unmute!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Nofew, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Nofew Win User

How can I tell which program is taking exclusive control of audio?

Subject says it all.

Context: I have an Oculus Rift, and the sound used to pop in and out. Now, when I say "pop", I do not mean mute and unmute! Rather, it switches between 3D audio that rotates around me depending on which way I face, and standard Stereo audio with two dumb outputs resting on my ears that are in no way at all tracked.

To solve this, I got a new USB3.0 PCIe card that many people recommended to fix the issue, and it did!

However, I now have a new problem: Skype got an update just at the same time that I put this new card in, and now I entirely lose audio after about one minute of being in the Rift. Restarting the Rift completely does fix it, but only for a minute. I found out I can resolve this issue by going to the Rift's audio settings and unchecking "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". It immediately brings sound back! Yay!.. But it also brings the popping back, and it reliably comes in after a minute of use, just like when audio would normally cut out.

Clearly there's another program trying to take control of the Rift's output and messing with its ability to reproduce proper sound. I want to know which program in particular so I can try uninstalling it to see if my theory is correct. Skype seems like the likely culprit, but exiting it doesn't solve the issue, so I have some doubts about it.

:)

Nofew, Jan 6, 2018
  2. hadimassa Win User

How can I tell which application is requesting the net access

Yes there is. PhoNetInfo. But I'm not sure if there is a version for S60v5. Google?

hadimassa, Jan 6, 2018
  3. darwinjob Win User
    How can I tell which application is requesting the net access

well, thanks for the reply, but this is kinda obvious, isn't it?

so, there is no way to find out which application causes this in particular? something like a task manager?

darwinjob, Jan 6, 2018
  4. fireberd Win User

fireberd, Jan 6, 2018
  5. dencal Win User
    Have you tried right clicking on speakers, then sounds...…to find the intruder?.....see attachment.

dencal, Jan 6, 2018
  6. Nofew Win User
    Geh, figures, turns out one of the USB cables was bad, or something along those lines. Switched it out and things are much better!

I'm not entirely sure why I didn't think to try that first. Oh well, at least it's fixed! (Hopefully.)

Nofew, Jan 6, 2018
  7. dencal Win User
    Glad to see you have got it sorted.

dencal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I tell which program is taking exclusive control of audio? - Similar Threads - tell program taking

2. How can I tell which cylinders a file takes up on a disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I tell which cylinders a file takes up on a disk?: I know I can use fsutil volume querycluster to get which file occupies a specific cylinder, but how do I do the opposite? If this is the wrong place to ask this please let me know where would be more appropriate. Thanks....
  3. How can I tell which cylinders a file takes up on a disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I tell which cylinders a file takes up on a disk?: I know I can use fsutil volume querycluster to get which file occupies a specific cylinder, but how do I do the opposite? If this is the wrong place to ask this please let me know where would be more appropriate. Thanks....
  4. How can I tell which cylinders a file takes up on a disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bluetooth Audio Exclusions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth Audio Exclusions: I recently bought a pair of wireless earbuds (Raycon e25). I've connected them through Bluetooth onto my laptop and they sound great. They also work for communication and calls like on discord. However I've noticed that I can't play audio through two apps at once like I can...
  6. Unchecked Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unchecked Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device not working: In the sound control panel - Recording - Microphone - Advanced I unchecked the option Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device , but some applications like Microsoft Teams, Battle.net keep taking control and resetting the level of the microphone. Any...
  7. How to see which program is controlling startup apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to see which program is controlling startup apps?: I remember a month or two ago I ran a program (It may have been an antivirus, or a disk cleaner, I have no clue) that had an option to speed up booting by disabling some startup apps that Windows itself could not. I tinkered with a few settings and ended up disabling an app...
  8. How can I tell which version of Windows 10 I am running.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I tell which version of Windows 10 I am running.: A Microsoft tech tried to upgrade to the Nov2019 version for me. Due to slow internet connection it took hours. The computer finaly rebooted and is working but I can't tell if it was successful or not. Reason for the upgrade was that I was setting up new computer and...
  9. How to tell which license I have?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to tell which license I have?: Hi, I have a windows laptop with operating system partition wiped. How can I tell which OS should I install? Only clue I have is a sticker in the bottom of the computer saying "Pro Windows" Laptop is Dell Latitude E7450...
  10. How can I tell.....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I tell.....: How can i tell if I have actually upgraded to the free upgrade to 10 pro; or whether I am still running the last insider version of 10240? I used the dvd/usb tool from the microsoft store to transfer the iso for 10 from the media creation tool to setup files and ran the setup...