Windows 10: How can I upgrade to a Windows Insider build that might not necessarily be the *latest*?

Discus and support How can I upgrade to a Windows Insider build that might not necessarily be the *latest*? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; TL;DR - How I can make my computer be on Win 10 Insider build 18945, coming from either 18362 or 18950. So, I've been playing with Windows Subsystem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by samsepi01, Aug 7, 2019.

1. samsepi01 Win User

How can I upgrade to a Windows Insider build that might not necessarily be the *latest*?

TL;DR - How I can make my computer be on Win 10 Insider build 18945, coming from either 18362 or 18950.

So, I've been playing with Windows Subsystem Linux (WSL) for a little bit now, and recently read about WSL 2 so I had to check it out. The way to install the new version is by upgrading to a Windows Insider build. I was on build number 18362.267 , and I read that I needed to be on at least build number 18917 or higher. No big deal. I just went to the Windows settings and set up to get the "Fast" track for the newest preview builds. This put me on build number 18950.

At this point I thought all was good, and went on to mess with WSL to get version 2. After a few failed attempts, I ended up just deleting all my distros, and redownloaded from the store. Set distro version to 2 and everything. But I just could not get into a shell. There seems to be a bug in this build that makes WSL essentially unusable. My problem appears to be the same as mentioned here: https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/4371so at least they are aware of it.

Anyways, back to my main question point. Someone in that github issue mentioned downgrading to build number 18945, but I just cannot find how to upgrade/downgrade to a specific build number. None of the Slow/Fast/etc insider paths seem to provide the updates I need when checking and rebooting and all that jazz. Am I just missing something obvious here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

:)

samsepi01, Aug 7, 2019
  2. MrGenius Win User

Windows 10 RTM/Build 10240 now available for Insiders

Insiders in the fast and slow rings are now being distributed the latest Windows 10 RTM (build 10240).

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...-for-windows-insiders-in-fast-and-slow-rings/

But for those wanting to expedite the upgrade, and/or download the latest build in iso form, it can be downloaded for free from the following link.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/oper...-pro-build-10240-iso-32-64-bit-free-download/

Don't forget to check out the activation steps found here:

Spoiler slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX
    slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in
    slmgr /ato

Windows 10 Enterprise - NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43B8YKP-D69TJ
    Windows 10 Home - TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
    Windows 10 Professional - W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX

use the key you need for the build and run those lines in cmd to activate

activation
    I suggest running those commands as administrator. Just in case.

Enjoy!

MrGenius, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Not able to upgrade to the latest build: Windows Insider preview.

Hi Madan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The reason you are not able to upgrade the insider build to latest is that you might have skipped some builds (as you have not updated it from last 3 months) as such it is greyed out. You can download the build manually and
    then perform In-place upgrade.

You will be delighted to know that the download is free. Click here to download the latest version of Windows insider preview:
    Windows Insider Preview Downloads. Once the file is downloaded, just click on the
    setup file and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you want to stop using Windows 10 Insider Preview and return to your previous version of Windows, you'll need to reinstall your previous version from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC—typically a
    DVD. If you don't have recovery media, you might be able to create recovery media from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. If the recovery partition is not available, then you can download the normal Windows setup
    by clicking here: Download Windows 10 and follow the steps provided by Paul provided:
    How to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step
    Guide

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Aug 7, 2019
  4. How can I upgrade to a Windows Insider build that might not necessarily be the *latest*?

Lost activation after upgrading to latest Insider preview build: 0xC004C003 error

Try reinstall Windows 10 Pro 1511, make sure it is activated, then join the Windows 10 Insider Preview again.

Step 1:
    How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:
    How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

If you have problems activating, contact chat support:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Make a backup:

Proceed to upgrade to the latest build:

How
    to install the latest Windows 10 build

Andre Da Costa, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

How can I upgrade to a Windows Insider build that might not necessarily be the *latest*?

1. How can I upgrade to a Windows Insider build that might not necessarily be the *latest*? - Similar Threads - upgrade Insider build

2. Failed to install latest windows 11 dev latest build, Windows 11 Insider Dev Build...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to install latest windows 11 dev latest build, Windows 11 Insider Dev Build...: error 0xc19000401Really don't have an idea what I can do to install that preview. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-install-latest-windows-11-dev-latest/3ba9b347-270c-4d00-966c-a62fa4636361
  3. Failed to install latest windows 11 dev latest build, Windows 11 Insider Dev Build...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed to install latest windows 11 dev latest build, Windows 11 Insider Dev Build...: error 0xc19000401Really don't have an idea what I can do to install that preview. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-install-latest-windows-11-dev-latest/3ba9b347-270c-4d00-966c-a62fa4636361
  4. Latest Insider build bricks my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest Insider build bricks my PC: Hello,I installed Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22533.1001 on my PC and it has problems.1, when I log on nothing happens, but it was on a 2nd account and my primary account was gone.2, after a restart it takes a long time to boot, the HDD light was periodically blinking and...
  5. Latest Insider build bricks my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest Insider build bricks my PC: Hello,I installed Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22533.1001 on my PC and it has problems.1, when I log on nothing happens, but it was on a 2nd account and my primary account was gone.2, after a restart it takes a long time to boot, the HDD light was periodically blinking and...
  6. I am not able to update to the latest version of windows 11 insider Build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am not able to update to the latest version of windows 11 insider Build: Everything goes Normal and when it finally restarts to start again, instead getting lockscreen I get this message ":Your Windows Insider Build ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.... Stop code: SYSTEM...
  7. Confused I want the latest windows insider Build How do I get it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Confused I want the latest windows insider Build How do I get it: Question, I am confused. I have Windows 10 Pro(Registered) version 2004 Insiders Preview Dev Build 21301.rs_prerelease.210123-1645. I see windows version 2009 and 20H2 everywhere. What is the absolute latest version and if I am low on the totem(Build/Version) how do I get...
  8. Problems with latest WIndows 10 Insider build installation

Problems with latest WIndows 10 Insider build installation: Hi, For the last couple of days my Windows 10 has been attempting to install the latest insider build. However, it gets to a point where the blue windows logo is showing, and a circle of dots which spins beneath it, then seems to just hang. I have been able to...
  9. SYSTEM CRASHED AFTER LATEST WINDOWS INSIDER BUILD LOADED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SYSTEM CRASHED AFTER LATEST WINDOWS INSIDER BUILD LOADED: I have an HP Pavillion 360 laptop, Model #15-6075nr I signed up to be part of the Insider group and test Beta versions of Windows 10, now my system is locked on a black screen, with the HP logo (caption reads - Preparing Automatic Repair). The only other screen I can get to...
  10. Windows 10 Won't update to latest insider build

Windows 10 Won't update to latest insider build: Has anyone had a fix for this? I'm getting an error 0x8007000d for the past month now and every Windows update has the same resulting code whenever I try to install it. Is there a way to install this without having to factory reset (btw, I can't go back to the previous build)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wsl l v nick upgrade wsl version 2 windows 10