Windows 10: How can I use "Hey Cortana" on Android to send texts and play music?

Discus and support How can I use "Hey Cortana" on Android to send texts and play music? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am a Windows phone fan. I still have my Lumia 1020 and 950. I have Cortana set to ALWAYS ON with EVERY DEVICE WE OWN. I DEPEND upon the ability to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ScubaDog2008(2), Sep 27, 2019.

1. How can I use "Hey Cortana" on Android to send texts and play music?

I am a Windows phone fan. I still have my Lumia 1020 and 950. I have Cortana set to ALWAYS ON with EVERY DEVICE WE OWN. I DEPEND upon the ability to use it completely hands-free. When I'm working or when I'm in my car, I NEED the ability to say "Hey, Cortana, text my wife"...and then be able to dictate a text. I NEED the ability to do things like "Hey, Cortana, play artist Kim Wilde"...and then have it play music from that artist.

That capability does NOT seem to exist on Android. I have tried to configure both the Cortana APP as well as Microsoft Launcher. Regardless of which "Cortana" I have set as default (the app or Launcher), if I try to say "Hey, Cortana, text <insert name here" it simply says "I can't do that here, try the Cortana app on your phone". If I try to say "Hey, Cortana, play artist Kim Wilde" it says "I'm on it, now playing Kim Wilde on Spotify"...and then it says it can't do THAT either. I HATE Spotify, by the way, and I want to be able to play MY music. But that's secondary to the fact that YOU CAN'T USE CORTANA ON ANDROID.

So, what is the fix for this? Oh, by the way, with my Windows phones in my car I can press the call button on my steering wheel and say "Call Cortana", at which time the car announces "calling Cortana on cell" and then I get to interact, completely hands-free with my phone. That is IMPOSSIBLE on Android. If I press the call button on my steering wheel and say "Call Cortana" I get a message saying the it can't complete the call (even though Cortana IS set up in the contacts EXACTLY HOW IT IS ON WINDOWS PHONES). Why can't you get THAT working, either?

:)

ScubaDog2008(2), Sep 27, 2019
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

How to enable Hey Cortana on Android

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

By default, Hey Cortana feature is turned off unless you activate it. Kindly follow the steps below to enable the feature.

• Launch the Cortana app on your Android device.
    • Click on the Menu.
    • Click on Hey Cortana.
    • Toggle the switch to position On for
      From the Cortana app

The Hey Cortana feature will not work when the phone is in standby mode, however you can follow the steps mentioned in the article below to enable Cortana on lock screen.

Getting started with Cortana

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Sep 27, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Stop Cortana responding to "hey"?

Did you see my suggestion about training it?

If I just say Hey - nothing happens. Nor if I say 'Hey, you'.

You could try disabling your microphone whilst playing music...

I've not seen Cortana be triggered when I play music... is yours very loud?

dalchina, Sep 27, 2019
  4. THX1138 Win User

How can I use "Hey Cortana" on Android to send texts and play music?

Stop Cortana responding to "hey"?

I already did that. Are the trainings additive?

I tried testing response to 'hey' and there isn't one, but Cortana continues to be activated by music and says 'hey' in the box where it would normally say 'hey Cortana'.

I don't really want to unplug my microphone; plugging it in (or disabling and re-enabling it in settings) to use Cortana is more effort than just not using Cortana at all and doing things manually. I wouldn't say my music is particularly loud but the speakers and microphone are on the same desk.

THX1138, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

How can I use "Hey Cortana" on Android to send texts and play music?

1. How can I use "Hey Cortana" on Android to send texts and play music? - Similar Threads - Hey Cortana Android

2. can cortana play music through youtube music?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can cortana play music through youtube music?: I am currently using windows 11 22H2 latest update as of today26 march 2023, I am trying to command cortana to play music but it says "I'm sorry, I can't control your music here."I currently have youtube music installed on my pc from microsoft edge by clicking"install youtube...
  3. can cortana play music through youtube music?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can cortana play music through youtube music?: I am currently using windows 11 22H2 latest update as of today26 march 2023, I am trying to command cortana to play music but it says "I'm sorry, I can't control your music here."I currently have youtube music installed on my pc from microsoft edge by clicking"install youtube...
  4. How can I use Cortana voice in Text To Speech ?

in Cortana
    How can I use Cortana voice in Text To Speech ?: Hi, I 'm using Windows 10 Home. I want to use Cortana voice in a Text To Speech software called Balabolka.I have Cortana installed in my Windows.In Balabolka I only see two Microsoft voices: Microsoft Zira and Microsoft David. Cortana voice should be there, but I don't see...
  5. How can I activate Cortana? Settings, Cortana, Hey Cortana toggle will not work.

in Cortana
    How can I activate Cortana? Settings, Cortana, Hey Cortana toggle will not work.: When I go to settings, Cortana, and try to turn on the toggle to allow Hey Cortana to funtion, it will not turn on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-activate-cortana-settings-cortana-hey/a7fd5b59-9b42-4244-8bb4-4f55571ed4d5
  6. How can I get "Hey Cortana" to work?

in Cortana
    How can I get "Hey Cortana" to work?: Here is everything I've tried thus far: Toggling Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana" off and on Updating my Windows 10 OS to the latest version Going through the troubleshooter to set up my microphone again Killing the Cortana processes via Task Manager Operating System...
  7. I'm new to using my Cortana Invoke. How can I play more of a variety of music

in Cortana
    I'm new to using my Cortana Invoke. How can I play more of a variety of music: I asked Cortana to play Music from John Prine, Linda Rohndstat, and early Taylor Swift. She couldn't. What do I need to do to broaden her music library...
  8. How to send an email using Cortana?

in Browsers and Email
    How to send an email using Cortana?: I haven't bothered using Cortana much. In theory, you can ask Cortana to compose and send an email. However, when I say write email / send email or something similar, Cortana just does a web search on that phrase. I have the Mail app ad Outlook 2010. How do you configure...
  9. I can not learn cortana how i say hey cortana.

in Cortana
    I can not learn cortana how i say hey cortana.: If i go to cortana setings. And press "Learn how i say "Hey Cortana"". [ATTACH] Every thinks work pretty good but after i should say frst phrases it close and doesnt work. Normali cortana can hear me and do every think that i told her but when i want to learn her that it...
  10. Cortana Not Sending Text Messages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Not Sending Text Messages: Hi, I have the FCU installed and I have an iPhone with the latest iOS. I've gone through tutorials here and elsewhere and even though my iPhone was successfully setup, when I try to send a text message, all I get is that "I'll send that using your phone. It may take a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. android in car hands free text like Cortana