Windows 10: How can I use Onedrive as a backup without it ruining everything?

Discus and support How can I use Onedrive as a backup without it ruining everything? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've posted about this before. A lot of my apps have problems because my computer always sets the Onedrive/Documents as default rather than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/theshtank, Nov 9, 2019.

1. How can I use Onedrive as a backup without it ruining everything?

I've posted about this before. A lot of my apps have problems because my computer always sets the Onedrive/Documents as default rather than User/documents.

I tried turning off the backup function, but that then stores all the files in Onedrive rather than the proper folder. I could then just copy to the proper folder, but apparently there is not enough room on my PC left to do that.

And really, I don't want Onedrive completely disabled, the backup is useful. I'd like to have my own folder of documents and backup to OneDrive when need be. Currently I'm trapped having 2 Documents folders, which randomly decide they are superseding one another whenever they want.

submitted by /u/theshtank
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/theshtank, Nov 9, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 9, 2019
  3. kernrsn Win User
    W10 Mobile Lumia 830 Backup Not Being Saved to OneDrive

Thanks Chari San,

I understand I can not see what is contained in the backup stored on OneDrive, but I should see them listed. In my case there is not one being stored at all even though the phone reports it has backed up. See screenshots from OneDrive from my phone logged
    into the same account the phone is and the backup settings page above. Without the backup on OneDrive my restored phone will lose at least call history, start screen setup and installed app list from what I have found.

Step #2 is not displayed on the new phone. (How can it restore a backup that is not on OneDrive at all). It skips over that step and I get a default install on the new phone without my call history, start page or app history. I'm not sure what else I
    might be missing but for sure at least those 3 items do not come across.

How do I resolve this issue? Suggestions?

kernrsn, Nov 9, 2019
  4. RCoon Win User

How can I use Onedrive as a backup without it ruining everything?

OneDrive - Bait and switch (but to what?)

Google Drive offers 17GB free, I see no discernible reason to bother with OneDrive's crippled storage capacity.

EDIT: For a painless transfer, I used microsoft's SyncToy to do a daily backup of DropBox/OneDrive items nightly at 4PM to a Google Drive folder. Once I had finished setting up my phone's automatic backup and had my work flow transferred, I just stopped the auto-backup script and uninstalled OneDrive/DropBox and carried on using Google Drive. Switching cloud storage service isn't remotely arduous.

RCoon, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

How can I use Onedrive as a backup without it ruining everything?

1. How can I use Onedrive as a backup without it ruining everything? - Similar Threads - Onedrive backup without

2. How can I backup everything on my Windows laptop to OneDrive except photos. I need to keep...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I backup everything on my Windows laptop to OneDrive except photos. I need to keep...: I currently use my iPhones to take pictures and have photos saved in iCloud so I can see them on numerous devices, namely another 2 other iPhones & my PC. I now have an iPad and can see all my pictures on it. However, I want to back-up my Documents on OneDrive so I can access...
  3. How can I backup everything on my Windows laptop to OneDrive except photos. I need to keep...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I backup everything on my Windows laptop to OneDrive except photos. I need to keep...: I currently use my iPhones to take pictures and have photos saved in iCloud so I can see them on numerous devices, namely another 2 other iPhones & my PC. I now have an iPad and can see all my pictures on it. However, I want to back-up my Documents on OneDrive so I can access...
  4. How can I backup everything on my Windows laptop to OneDrive except photos. I need to keep...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I NOT use OneDrive desktop?

How can I NOT use OneDrive desktop?: Hello All I was discussing this as part of another thread but wanted to post it as it's own thread so everyone can see the question and because I think it deserves it's own thread.. My Windows 10 Pro desktop path is pointing to My user OneDrive folder I've uninstalled...
  6. how would I use onedrive as my backup method

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how would I use onedrive as my backup method: I would prefer to keep all my files on my computer, in case the Internet goes down. But I would also like to have copies saved on an external medium in case my computer dies. What is the recommended way?...
  7. How to use OneDrive as a backUp?

How to use OneDrive as a backUp?: How to use OneDrive as a backUp? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-onedrive-as-a-backup/a9f4110d-ee58-4f6a-85a0-dc2986846e91"
  8. Use OneDrive for backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use OneDrive for backup: Good morning all, Can OneDrive (I have the 1TB upgrade) be used for backup of files and the OS ? Is there a tutorial somewhere ? My system consists of: Surface Go, 4GBram, 64GBstorage, Win10 S mode, Edge, Office 365, No physical keyboard, No mouse. Thanks Lee 130841
  9. "REFRESH RUINED EVERYTHING

in Windows 10 Customization
    "REFRESH RUINED EVERYTHING: Worst decision ever. I will never do what's "recommended" by Window again. What I need to know NOW, is how/where/what do I need to do to get Microsoft word on my lap top again...
  10. Backup files to OneDrive without syncing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup files to OneDrive without syncing: Hello I want to back up my music collection from my D-drive. I have copied (drag & drop) my files from D: to OneD – that was easy, intuitive and straight forward. However OneDrive is now trying synchronise my newly copied files back with my PC. It is not syncing with the...