Windows 10: How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog?

Discus and support How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Moving from a Mac to PC I find this omission very annoying.Not all dialogue boxes have the view all option - I'm looking at you Adobe.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ross Garden, Feb 2, 2023.

1. How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog?

Moving from a Mac to PC I find this omission very annoying.Not all dialogue boxes have the view all option - I'm looking at you Adobe.

:)

Ross Garden, Feb 2, 2023
  2. [Greg] Win User

How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog?

Like the subject says, I'd like the "Open..." , "Save..." and "Save As..." standard Windows dialog boxes to, by default, show
    all files in the dialog box, not just the ones that correspond with the current "Save as type."

Essentially the same concept as looking for "All Files (*.*)" in an "Open..." dialog box. But without having to select that from the document type dropdown selector in the dialog box to the right of the filename. Set the default filetype to be "*.*" throughout
    all file dialog boxes, system-wide.

However, there's no option (and no workaround) to see
    all the files in a directory when you're in a "Save..." or "Save As..." dialog box, you're limited to the specific types of files your current program can save or save as.

For example: If you're in Microsoft Word and you want to save your document as a .docx, your file dialog changes the view so that you see only .docx files and the folder/directory structure. I'd like it to
    NOT do this, and always show all the files in the directory, regardless of file extension or file type.

This would allow the user to:

• More easily recognize the folder they're saving into, by seeing the other familiar files located in the same directory
    • View file naming conventions and revisions or other file information directly in the "Save..." or "Save As..." dialog boxes, without having to leave the program, look at the same directory in Windows Explorer, and then enter the program again
    • Easily click-copy the name of a differing file and then "Save As" with the same filename but a different extension (For example, save an Excel document as .xlsx, and then export a .csv version of the same file with the same naming convention)

[Greg], Feb 2, 2023
  3. How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog?

That was an example if it would allow you to view all files and allow you to save a jpg as txt. I did not say that was possible

seahawks65, Feb 2, 2023
  4. [Greg] Win User

Yep. Totally agree; not all "Save..." or "Save As..." dialog boxes give you this option.

I also know that it has "always been this way" on Windows.

- however -

That doesn't make it correct. Lets see if Microsoft can fix this annoyance.

The program wouldn't be able to actually save a .TXT file as a .JPG, that would be ridiculous.

Same with open. Obviously a program like Adobe Photoshop won't actually open a .xlsx file.

However, inside the file dialog box, when you're viewing the directory, you'd be able to SEE all of the files, for the reasons outlined in the original post.

[Greg], Feb 2, 2023
Thema:

1. How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog? - Similar Threads - view files current

2. File directory hangs when saving file as

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File directory hangs when saving file as: File directory hangs when saving file as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-directory-hangs-when-saving-file-as/268e022c-860e-464e-9949-e48b9e3056f7
  3. File directory hangs when saving file as

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File directory hangs when saving file as: File directory hangs when saving file as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-directory-hangs-when-saving-file-as/268e022c-860e-464e-9949-e48b9e3056f7
  4. File directory hangs when saving file as

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog?: Moving from a Mac to PC I find this omission very annoying.Not all dialogue boxes have the view all option - I'm looking at you Adobe. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-view-all-files-in-the-current-directory/3bb28844-2754-4234-a461-ae468fc8e2e7
  6. How to see all files when saving?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to see all files when saving?: When I save a file I want to see all the file like they normally appear in the folder I'm saving to. By default, Windows hides all the files that are a different type than what you're saving - this is annoying and confusing. How do I see everything in the folder I'm saving...
  7. View settings for This PC in Save Dialogs

in Windows 10 Customization
    View settings for This PC in Save Dialogs: Windows 10 20H2 I'm looking for a registry setting to change the default view for "This PC" in Save dialogs, since Explorer ignores changes to the view in that context. Just to be clear, there is no issue if I open "This PC" from the desktop and change the view. In the...
  8. how to view all saved passwords

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to view all saved passwords: how can I review and change all saved passwords in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-view-all-saved-passwords/e3ddf14b-ec8e-4bd8-9d80-db5bf5fe0a90
  9. Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files: I have a lot of files stored on a flash drive in briefcases. However, the open/save as dialogs do not display all available folders. Why is that? What can I do to correct this major headache?...
  10. How can I remove icons in the Save As dialog box?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I remove icons in the Save As dialog box?: Hi, I would like to get rid of some icons (marked in red in image below) in the Save As dialog box. Is it possible, and if so, does anyone know how it can be done? Note, I have already gotten rid of these in the Navigation Pane. For info, F & H on the image below are...