Windows 10: How can I view all of the API calls in real time?

Discus and support How can I view all of the API calls in real time? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to see a sort of footprint of every action taken by a user on my computer. I've looked into audit policies but I'm not sure if this is what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cowlicker12, Jun 26, 2017.

1. How can I view all of the API calls in real time?

I'm trying to see a sort of footprint of every action taken by a user on my computer. I've looked into audit policies but I'm not sure if this is what I need.

Take this example: let's say that I move the cursor from point A to point B. At point B, I click on something (doesn't matter what). In the background, the computer is registering state 1, which is no movement, then state 2, which is the mouse's position being changed, then state 3, which is no movement, then state 4, which is the mouse click. How can I view the API calls used to create these states?

:)

cowlicker12, Jun 26, 2017

2. How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog?

That was an example if it would allow you to view all files and allow you to save a jpg as txt. I did not say that was possible

seahawks65, Jun 26, 2017
  3. [Greg] Win User
    How can I view ALL files in the current directory when in a save dialog?

Yep. Totally agree; not all "Save..." or "Save As..." dialog boxes give you this option.

I also know that it has "always been this way" on Windows.

- however -

That doesn't make it correct. Lets see if Microsoft can fix this annoyance.

The program wouldn't be able to actually save a .TXT file as a .JPG, that would be ridiculous.

Same with open. Obviously a program like Adobe Photoshop won't actually open a .xlsx file.

However, inside the file dialog box, when you're viewing the directory, you'd be able to SEE all of the files, for the reasons outlined in the original post.

[Greg], Jun 26, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

How can I view all of the API calls in real time?

You would end up seeing millions of lines of calls. If you are trying to track mouse clicks, there are ways to watch the movements through simple VB.

bro67, Jun 27, 2017
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    At the consumer-level, one could use Sysinternal's ProcessMonitor to explore CPU activity, superficially. Of course, a minute of activity can produce tens of thousands of lines.

One may have to enter the mythical Dark Net to, perhaps, acquire a mythical tool that can break the process further into API calls.

pyramid10, Jun 27, 2017
  6. Wait, although that sounds horrible, that's the base level of what I need. I can make a program to group these calls into things I care about and things I don't care about. I just need help getting starting on actually retrieving all those calls.

But as a side-note, could you explain how I could view these movements using VB?

cowlicker12, Jun 27, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Plenty of examples out there for C/C++ and VB, or like on post #3, you can use the Sysinternal tool. Windows Event Log (Windows) Another tool is APImonitor.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How can I view all of the API calls in real time?

1. How can I view all of the API calls in real time? - Similar Threads - view API calls

2. How can I turn real time protection on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I turn real time protection on.: I am not using any kind of antivirus. Still showing that and I can not turn on real time protection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-turn-real-time-protection-on/99dfb0b3-131e-45aa-a312-9b340c0a44dd
  3. How can I turn real time protection on.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I turn real time protection on.: I am not using any kind of antivirus. Still showing that and I can not turn on real time protection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-turn-real-time-protection-on/99dfb0b3-131e-45aa-a312-9b340c0a44dd
  4. How can be turned on real time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can be turned on real time protection: real-time protection was turned off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-be-turned-on-real-time-protection/9a3f7a28-819e-485e-9c4c-64bb40859eb6
  5. How can be turned on real time protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can be turned on real time protection: real-time protection was turned off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-be-turned-on-real-time-protection/9a3f7a28-819e-485e-9c4c-64bb40859eb6
  6. How can be turned on real time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. how can i turn my real time protection on.

how can i turn my real time protection on.: how can I turn my real time protection on. is set off after an ransomware attack, even after resetting and deleting all stuff https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-can-i-turn-my-real-time-protection-on/a10927c6-2200-48ad-aa25-f817ef07d23c
  8. How can i keep real time protection OFF?

How can i keep real time protection OFF?: I have this game which ran fine for a year on W7. Then i upgraded to W10 and it no longer worked. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but every time it would give me an error and not start. I googled it and found the issue is the system will not allow a certain file and...
  9. HOW CAN I TURN ON MY REAL TIME PROTECTION

HOW CAN I TURN ON MY REAL TIME PROTECTION: I don't know why my real time protection is not working. I cannot turn on or off my real time protection and I am using windows 10 home. If anybody have any solution please reply...
  10. How can I view all of the API calls in real time?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I view all of the API calls in real time?: I'm trying to see a sort of footprint of every action taken by a user on my computer. I've looked into audit policies but I'm not sure if this is what I need. Take this example: let's say that I move the cursor from point A to point B. At point B, I click on something...