Windows 10: How can I view XviD file in VLC

Discus and support How can I view XviD file in VLC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Downloaded two video converters being: freemake and wondershare uniconverter both advertised as 'free' but since uninstalled as even the trial versions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nithig, Sep 26, 2020.

1. nithig Win User

How can I view XviD file in VLC

Downloaded two video converters being: freemake and wondershare uniconverter both advertised as 'free' but since uninstalled as even the trial versions did not convert the video in XviD to MP4 (or TV quality).

So still can't open this file in VLC media player (Vers 3.0.11 Vetinari)

VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS! - VideoLAN says that VLC does play XviD but doesn't tell me how.

Any suggestions?

:)

nithig, Sep 26, 2020

2. vista vlc player and xvid

anyone got vlc player to play an xvid in vista? when i tried it today i get solid colors that fade in and out. very odd because the audio is clear. so obviously some video issue. im using the latest codecs. the xvid plays fine in media player but i prefer vlc because it is a lot lighter and stream 1080p movies smoothly.

Easy Rhino, Sep 26, 2020
  3. Fullshred Win User
    vista vlc player and xvid

I had the same problem, here's how I fixed it:

1. In VLC, go to Settings->Preferences
    2. Click the + sign next to Video
    3. Click on Output Modules.
    4. If you get a blank page, tick the "Advanced options" check box (bottom right).
    5. Change the Video Output Module from "Default" to "Windows GDI video output"
    6. Click Save.

XviD playback is now working a treat in vista with VLC.

Fullshred, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Wile E Win User

vista vlc player and xvid

That's why I suggest the CCCP. It doesn't have the configuration issues of K-Lite. They took the time to set it up properly. I have never run into conflict issues with it. (Unless I changed settings myself) The fact that Mplayer and Zoom are DirectShow really has little to do with anything, all that matters is that it works.

As far as VLC being better than Zoom, that's your opinion, but I disagree. First, VLC doesn't display .ass and .ssa format subtitles properly. It displays them as generic DVD style text, Whereas those formats actually hold font and placement info (such as placing translations directly on a sign, for instance). Second, Zoom is much more powerful once you learn how to use it. I'm not saying VLC is a bad player, I use it on Linux and Mac, it definitely has it's place, but it's not the end all-be all of video players.

Wile E, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

1. How can I view XviD file in VLC - Similar Threads - view XviD file

2. Is there a default view for the File Explorer that I can restore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a default view for the File Explorer that I can restore?: My file explorer navigation is really messed up. Is there a way to restore a "default" layout of the Navigation Pane without running the risk of messing things up even further?...
  3. Is there a default view for the File Explorer that I can restore?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a default view for the File Explorer that I can restore?: My file explorer navigation is really messed up. Is there a way to restore a "default" layout of the Navigation Pane without running the risk of messing things up even further?...
  4. How can I view pictures and not Icons.

How can I view pictures and not Icons.: How can I view photos and not Icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-view-pictures-and-not-icons/21cd6b68-812b-4e74-8688-85591d1c5e89
  5. How do I lock the view? Can I?

How do I lock the view? Can I?: This is a simple question, I hope, but it comes down to hidden files. Hidden files are all well and good but are also simple enough to bypass, anyone one who has a minor inkling of what they are doing can simply change the view to include them. Same goes for changing...
  6. How can I view all folders' contents in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I view all folders' contents in File Explorer?: In file explorer where I see my Documents and folders, how do I get a view in which I can see not only a folder, but the folder contents? On a Mac, I forget what they called that view, but you could click on the folder, and see the contents in the column next to that....
  7. Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Impossible to set VLC to default software for viewing photos: Hi, I am in charge of some Windows machines where I have to use VLC. I use it for videos automatically, I've tuned it to a fine point where I can show videos in another screen professionally. I would like to set it also as the default app for images (png, jpg, etc). But...
  8. I need help loading a VLC file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help loading a VLC file: A VLC audio file that previously worked in Windows 8 does not work now in Windows 10/ HOME version. At least I think that is the only difference. Hope you can help. The message is: Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///E:/'. Check the log for...
  9. VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VLC not showing thumbnails view of Video File: VLC is not showing thumbnails view of video files. My Video files are generally flv. I have not checked whether it is showing thumbnails for other type of video files or not. 44934
  10. How to disable notification for VLC playing a file

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable notification for VLC playing a file: When I play a .wav file in VLC a disruptive notification comes up and plays a notification sound. Since I'm trying to go through some very short sound effects to find something suitable, the notification sound is interfering. Since I'm the one playing the files, why the heck...