Windows 10: How can selecting "Print" not mean "send to my printer" for gosh sakes

Discus and support How can selecting "Print" not mean "send to my printer" for gosh sakes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I bought a new laptop and have had such frustration due to microsoft seemingly wanting to commandeer my laptop experience. I try to print a page... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by flusteratedX10, Feb 8, 2019.

1. How can selecting "Print" not mean "send to my printer" for gosh sakes

So I bought a new laptop and have had such frustration due to microsoft seemingly wanting to commandeer my laptop experience.

I try to print a page from a website but my faithful old printer won't print it. I try again. Then I go into Settings, still no help. I go back to study the Print dialogue popup box and discover "Destination: OneNote". What the heck? Why isn't the destination my printer? Hello??? If I choose "Print" of course I want a printed copy. I don't know what OneNote is nor do I care, but I can guarantee you that the average consumer expects a printed copy so why did my faithful Print dialogue popup box change to "Destination OneNote" upon buying a new pooter also with Windows 10?

This is but one of a dozen puzzling, frustrating experiences that I have had migrating from my old Windows 10 laptop. How many times was I required to sign into my Microsoft account, I hadn't done that in years. How many times was I prodded into using the pre-loaded Edge rather than my Chrome preference? Why would I want to use a 4 digit PIN rather than my secure elaborate password? How many times did I have to get into Settings to change things like movies and music and why weren't my popular preferences showing as alternative choices? Clearly microsoft has purposely made the experience difficult for novices like me in an attempt to push me into microsoft store, browser, apps, etc..

:)

flusteratedX10, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Jan123 Win User

Windows 10 Home Won't Print to Remote Printer

I have three computers.
    Machine 1: Windows 10 pro, has the USB Brother HL-5040 printer
    Machine 2: Windows 10 pro, prints OK to the remote printer.
    Machine 3: Windows 10 home, Used to print, but not anymore (THIS IS THE PROBLEM).
    I’ve tried everything that I can think of, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    I did these steps on Machine 3 that did not work.

1. Remove the printer device.
    2. Add a Printer
    3. The printer that I want isn’t listed
    4. Select a shared printer by name
    5. Browse
    6. Select the displayed Machine 1.
    7. Select the displayed Printer.
    8. Next
    9. Failure “Connect to Printer”.
    10. Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or Hostname
    11. Next
    12. Set Hostname to Machine 2, and set port name.
    13. Detecting TCP/IP Port
    14. Additional Port information required.
    15. Device Type – Standard, Brother Port Server
    16. Next
    17. Detecting the Driver Model
    18. Install The Print Driver
    19. Select Brother and Brother HL-5040
    20. Next
    21. Replace the Current Driver
    22. Printer Name (setting it to HL-5040)
    23. Next
    24. Do not share this printer
    25. Next
    26. You’ve successfully added “HL-5040”
    27. Finish
    Printing on Machine 3 puts the document in the print queue, which reports error printing.
    Printing from Machine 2 to the printer on Machine 1 works perfectly.
    All three machines are in the same HomeGroup. Machine 3 can access the shared files from Machine 1.

Jan123, Feb 8, 2019
  3. Error - Printing on Network printer

We have 4 printers on our Windows print server. The server was migrated from win2k3 to 2k8 on friday. 3/4 printers are working great, the other is having issues. When trying to print a test page to it, it gets a job status of Error - Printing.

When sending a small word document to it, it sends it to the printer, the queue is empty but nothing prints. If I goto the printer itself, it doesnt show any errors and I can print things such as information sheets and diagnostic files just fine.

All four printers are the same model, all 4 have a static IP. I can ping the printer successfully. I've tried printing from both an XP machine and the print server itself. I tried removing and adding the printer on the print server. And lastly, uunplugged the printer for 30 seconds, plugged it back in.

Any ideas?

Hybrid_theory, Feb 8, 2019
  4. George Win User

How can selecting "Print" not mean "send to my printer" for gosh sakes

Printing on "Send to Microsoft OneNote" printer does nothing

There is a way to do it. Here are the instructions:
    <br>

1. Use the appropriate program to open the document or file that you want to import into OneNote. For example, use Microsoft Office Word to open documents or Microsoft Office Excel to open Excel workbooks.
    2. On the File menu, click Print.
      <br>
      Note: Some third-party programs might have different interfaces than the Windows interface. Print commands may have different names and may be in different locations than the commands described in these steps.
    3. In the Print dialog box, select Send to OneNote as the printer, and then click Print. OneNote does not maintain a link to the source file. If the source file is updated, those changes do not appear in your notebook unless you import the file again.
      <br>
      Note: When you print a file to OneNote by using the OneNote print driver, a copy of the file's contents is imported.

Click here for addition info, it's Microsoft's KB also you can watch this . I hope this helps.

George, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

How can selecting "Print" not mean "send to my printer" for gosh sakes

1. How can selecting "Print" not mean "send to my printer" for gosh sakes - Similar Threads - selecting Print mean

2. how can i get my printer to print from my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i get my printer to print from my computer?: I cannot get my printer canon 8520 series to print from my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-my-printer-to-print-from-my-computer/ab569d27-2066-42ef-bfba-a3212f92ccb2
  3. microsoft print to pdf cannot select "print directly to the printer"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microsoft print to pdf cannot select "print directly to the printer": microsoft print to pdf cannot select "print directly to the printer", it's grey https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-print-to-pdf-cannot-select-print/dd76e585-e8d5-41ae-836a-160aa4bfd0d8
  4. when selecting 'print' it goes to 'Print to File' not the printer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    when selecting 'print' it goes to 'Print to File' not the printer: I had a major Windows 10 crash unknown cause, assume automatic update Managed to get to function properly after booting safe mode. Can't find where to change the setting from 'Print to file' to print to my printer driver and settings OK. Thanks for any suggestions. Natalie...
  5. can not get the printer to print

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can not get the printer to print: I changed my wifi password today I had to change the paasword in my computer to match the password do I to do anything to my printer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-get-the-printer-to-print/0afa704f-dd87-42b0-99fe-a12ff11fef5e
  6. how change printer selected

how change printer selected: trying to change printer selected from one note to an old HP LaserJet 1012 printer -- green check mark won't move https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-change-printer-selected/fc74ed17-26f3-4d81-8019-a13355eac6f5
  7. How to force a domain users to select a printer to print

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force a domain users to select a printer to print: good morning, Due to the need to reduce impressionsin our company, and the new concept of openspace, we need all users to beforced to select a printer when they press "print" a document. unfortunately windows even if you haveno default printer, when sending an...
  8. PC restarts when I send a print job to my printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC restarts when I send a print job to my printer: hi , I recently upgraded to Window 10 Ver 1903 from Window 7 entreprise , and everything seems to work except for one annoying thing. I have a network printer and when I send a print job from the network share file to my printer the computer restarts automatically, and the...
  9. How to disable "Print to File" so I can print off of my printer.

How to disable "Print to File" so I can print off of my printer.: Every time I try to print a word document, it instead opens up the Print to File menu. There's a checkbox in the printer drop down menu that enables Print to File, but it isn't enabled, and it doesn't matter whether or not i check the box, it always Prints to File. I tried...
  10. My printer will not print -

My printer will not print -: Hello my printer will not print. It states "my printer has experienced an unexpected configuration problem" 0x8007007e can someone please help me fix this, thanks. Nikki...